Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lhasa apso experience

Bless you for adopting Charley. He will need some time to adjust to you, the cats and anyone else in your home. He may be trying to be the alpha fur kid and wants you all to himself. He may have hearing loss and when he gets startled he does what comes natural to animals. They defend themselves, fight or run away. He's acting like a mama defending her territory and babies.

Blog Entries
    My mother-in-law owned a lhasa apso years ago and he seemed very protective of her in the same way you are describing your dog. One time when she was sitting in a chair and he was on her lap I leaned over to hug her and he snapped at me as if to protect her. So I believe it is in their nature to be like that. Your Charlie is really cute. Thank you for rescuing him and giving him the best life possible. All animals deserve that.
    It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
    Edmund Hillary

I have never had LA but some things should be the same. Give him a treat every time he comes for a while. You can gradually phase them out. I would give him a jackpot treat [large numbre of treats at one time while phasing out treats. Keep giving an occasional jackpot after regular treats are phased out. You what him to think that there is always a possible reward. Startle response while sleeping is not unusual. He may or may not get over it. As long as he's not harming the cats I would not worry unless it bothers the cats a lot. Diane C

He's a sweetheart. Thank you for giving him a good home. I am a cat person, so know nothing about dogs.

Some dogs are just so independent that they just don't come when called. We have 2 doxies and they have very different personalities. One always immediately comes when called. The other comes on her terms. I know she doesn't have a hearing issue because you can whisper "who wants a treat" or "who wants to go" and she in there in a flash.

Your new family addition is so cute. Thank you for adopting him into a loving home.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    We have a huge dog, a medium dog, a large cat, and a little bitty cat. When the dogs are sleeping, the cats take turns walking by them being very stealthy. They get up to the dog, tag him or her on the head, and run like hell for the dining room chairs so the dogs are frustrated in catching them. I worried about this at first, until I figured out that the cats are the ones teasing the dogs, not the dogs just chasing the cats. Pay attention, if that is what is happening, they are playing a game, so don't worry, just make sure the cats can escape, and they will be fine. If the dog is not growling, or barking like mad, then it is probably a game they play. A Llasa Apso has a sense of humor, they will keep you laughing. My BFF's MIL had one that was the life of the party.

for the record, my service dog will not respond to his name either, so we taught him certain words he only hears when out and about. "With mom" means to heel, "take the dog home", means go in the house, "in" means to get in the car, and when in the house, if we say "car dog" my big dog turns into a yappy poodle cause he knows he is going for a ride! In the house, he will answer to his name, but once outside, all bets are off!
    Last edited by madamekelly; 04-17-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I had a Lhasa rescue that seemed rather stoic and non-excitable but he was very sensitive and seemed to pout for quite a while if he was scolded, a few days maybe.

One time I scolded him for peeing in the house and when I left he went and peed right in the middle of my bed, lol! It was a long time ago, but I think he adapted to us after a while.

I had a mixed breed rescue that would growl when anyone approached me, and even growled and snapped at me when I bent over to pick up my yarn. It scared me and I told them she needed more fostering before she was ready to be adopted. I didn't want anyone getting bit!
    :-)
    CAS

What a lucky little boy. He is darling.

Bless you, for giving this guy a good home. I have a hard time not bringing them all home with me, but I know that would not be good for anyone!

We played the "Name Game" with Parker when we first got him. He's very independent as well, but this works pretty well. It is treat intensive, but after a certain amount of time, they just associate coming to you when called with good things happening. It takes two people. Stand a distance apart, each with several treats. Take turns calling "Charlie!" just one time, and when he reaches you, he immediately gets a treat. Then, right away, before he can turn around or lose interest, your partner calls his name and gives him a treat. Then you will immediately call him back.

When he starts to run automatically back and forth between you, change it up, so that he understands that the game is to listen for his name, rather than to run from person to person for treats.

Parker is also a shelter dog, and his quirk is that if I have food, and I'm maybe watching tv or something away from the table, he makes this HORRIBLE, gut wrenching growl if any of the cats even looks like they're going to come near me. I don't know if he thinks he's defending me from them, or defending his own spoils (which he never gets!) from the cats. It's very strange, but he's never hurt anyone and I don't think that's his intention. When there is no food involved, he's very affectionate with the cats and takes good care of them, snuggling when they need and gives them lots of kisses.

I hope that helps. :-)

Blog Entries
    I think he is just playing with the cat. We had a Snorkie and when our cat would come into the mobile home the Snorkie would jump off my lap and chase the cat as fast as she could to the other end of the mobile. Then they would flip around and the cat would chase the Snorkie. Back and forth they would go. they loved playing together. At first I was concerned but then I realized it was just play.
    Heart of Dixie
    dlprecisionquilting.com

Charlie is so sweet looking. Looks a lot like our Lhasa. We are on our 2nd one. Winchester (the first) lived until almost 15 yrs old before he needed to be put down. Broke our hearts. Two years later we were called by our vet's office to see if we wanted another Lhasa. They had a 6 month old female there that needed a home. Her fur was very matted. The pictures below show a before and after grooming. Lucy is now 4 years old. She is very protective of us. Sometimes drives us crazy with barking especially when the windows and doors are open and she hears every little noise. Loves her belly rubbed and is very loving to us. She takes 2 long walks with us every day. She does not listen well but that is probably our fault. Hates to be left alone when we go out.
    Name:  Lucy before grooming.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  43.5 KB Name:  Lucy after grooming.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  61.9 KB

Looks like a cute dog. He is most likely more sedate because of his previous neglect. My SIL has 2 and they are real barkers and are all over you when you visit. Good luck with your little guy.

Charley is adorable! You are a blessing to him for loving and caring for him. Rescue dogs always seem to understand that they are safe and loved. One never knows the full extent of the abuse and can only take a day at a time.

We've had 4 rescued dogs. Two were adults and two were pups. Both of the adults were abused. Our first rescue, Baby, didn't bark for the first 3 months we had her. Then one day there was one bark. It actually startled us! Then she started to communicate a little more each day. We never knew how old she was,nor exactly her breed... she was a mix but we loved her and she in return loved us for 7 years. Our second rescue was the pup, Ruby. She also was a mixed breed and grew to be a very large dog. The vet felt she was Rottweiler/German Shepherd/Newfoundland mix. She was an awesome dog. At 9 years old she became very ill. Our 4th rescue dog, Harley, actually gave her a blood transfusion! Ruby rallied back for a bit, but then passed. The 3rd. rescue dog is Sapphire, a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix. She was just a pup when we got her and so tiny. She is now 16 years old and is living with my daughter. I've called Sapphire my "honey bunny" ever since we rescued her. Our 4th rescue was Harley, a 6 year old Rottweiler/Bullmastiff mix. Another big dog and he had as much love as he was big! Harley was actually our last dog. I always said, "Save the best for last", and that's exactly what Harley was. The best! He was very mistreated. Threatened with guns ... left outside in rain & snow tied up ... no shelter ... no water or food. The man was the abuser. My daughter had worked at vet hospitals for years and that's how she found Harley. I cried the first day we had him at our home. It's so sad to see the damage a human can do to an animal. But we loved Harley and he returned that love tenfold. He left us at 14 years old. I miss my gentle giant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Blog Entries
    My daughter has this breed, they were originally used as guard dogs in China for royalty so can be very protective of their owners and I think that's what he's doing, they also have a mind of their own and can get stubborn she's trained but still at times won't come when called! Then again I think that's all of us keep working with him ! I think it's wonderful you rescued him! Being a rescue it might take longer to completely train him good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Some of the Dog Whisperer's advice might be helpful. I have watched quite a few of his shows and it is amazing how quickly he can change dog behaviors simply by understanding what to do. I'm not an expert, but I can pretty much guarantee that the verbal "shaming" after he chases a cat is not going to work -- it will always come too late after the fact, so that the dog will not make the connection between the cat and the shaming. Basically he will feel punished but not understand what it's for. Any correction has to be done in a specific way and immediately (preferably before the behavior even occurs). My guess would be that you need to encourage "bonding" between the dog and the specific cats. There are techniques for doing this (I think clickers work for this kind of training -- on both the cats and the dog!). Actually, your best bet might be to consult a good dog psychologist for advice.
    Charley is so cute and bless you for adopting him. I agree with Prism. I f you haven't seen or read much of Caesar, I highly recommend him! My husband and I were just talking the other day about what good success we have had with his techniques. Easy and makes sense. Remember he is a dog and not a small person. Shaming is not what works.

Blog Entries
    My mum had a Lhaso cross for 16 years. She got him as a pup and he was never absued. But he did have issues. In most my observations I am comparing him to my old Border Collie cross that was the same age as him and they grew up together. My dog Cassie was abused for the first 5 months of her life.

Tucker never came if called unless he thought there was something in it for him, except with me, he knew I was the boss over him. Cassie came to her name or a whistle

Tucker growled at strangers, except small children. My kids were 1 and 3 when my mum got him. Cassie ignored strangers, unless they put there hand out to her, then she would bite. All strangers were told prior to meeting her to never put their hand out to her to smell. On her terms she would warm up to them and eventually allow petting. She would not let anyone who had just smoked touch her.

Tucker also growled at people he had met repeatedly over the years. He basically like my mum, her man, my ex, me and my kids. My abused dog after meeting someone once was okay with them.

If mum had house guests, Tucker would poop on the bed if he could get into the room.

Tucker was a barker. Cassie did not bark, except if strangers were approaching the house. If someone she knew was approaching she would get all excited and whine, but not bark.

My current dog Oscar, is a Pug cross and if any breed barks it is pugs. Oscar does not bark much either. He does make excited noises when anyone approaches the house (no guard dog there), if we are out for a walk and he sees another dog etc.

All the dogs, Tucker, Cassie and Oscar have been good with cats. I have had 2-3 cats the entire time we have had dogs. Tucker used to spend quite a bit of time at my house, so he had to mind the cats.

My exbil's lady friend has a small fluffy ankle biter, Ruby. Ruby thought cats were there to torment, until she met my old lady cat who put her in her place.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    My cousin showed a raised that breed and they can be very headstrong she said. You have to be the one in charge from day one. I would correct the growling and chasing of the cats now before it gets out of hand. JMHO.

Blog Entries
    Am not a dog person, but if I were, I 'd snatch him up - what a little doll!!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

We adopted our dog Stitches (see avatar) at 1 1/2. Our Vet's wife was looking for a good home for him. I'm quite certain he was at least half Lhasa. Best dog we ever had and he lived to just two weeks shy of 18. He was quiet, gentle, intelligent, brave and stoic. He was extremely obedient. He took life very seriously. He had trust issues and we believe he had a very hard start to his young life. He was frightened of men and children and gravitated to women. He was kind to our cat but very aggressive and would pick fights with other dogs. He had no problem with me being the Alpha dog in our little pack but I had to work on him a little bit to not be jealous or nippy with my husband. Your little guy has been through a lot. With time, continued security and love, he should work in well.

I don't have a dog...I have cats but I just want to say that you are wonderful person for adopting Charley and giving him a wonderful home.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
    Sweet Charlie! I had my Llasa for almost 18 years she was amazing I always said she didn't know she was short! Llasas are a dominate breed if you aren't in charge they will be! You gave a big hint - he keeps them away from me - that says to me he is owning you - be careful. I suggest you read up on this breed they are so loyal and sweet but they will take over 1st the cat then people. You've got your self a beautiful little dog I hope you have a wonderful life together. (I remember Daisy).
    -
    I do agree with Daisy Dew. I have two Llasas. One from puppy the other we adopted at 4 yrs. They do have an attitude when sleepy. Georgie has nipped at my husband when he tried to move him when he was asleep. Read up on the breed. They were bred to be watch dogs. Mine at 13 and 14 years old take that job seriously. So much so Georgie usually only barks inside while Murphy barks outside. They have the place covered. They only bark when someone or something is out of place. We tell Georgie someone is "coming" and he will stay at the front window and tell us when the person arrives. Ours seem to belong to one person. My husband is Georgie's favorite and Murphy likes me. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    He even looks sad. Its going to take awhile for him to feel safe and loved. It sounds like he's been abused and neglected for quite a while now. I had one, Sassy, she was a great dog and a family friend. They are bread in Tibet for watch dogs, nothing got by on her. Give him time, at least he doesn't have bad habits to break. It took me a long time to train both of my small dogs, I now have an Eskimo Husky. She has never heart my cat either but still 5 years after I got her as a pup she will still run after my cat, who is alot older just to pick on her. She learned early on not to make contact, one scratch on the nose and most dogs know not to push it too far. I think yours has learned to live and sleep in fear so when he's startled out of his sleep he may at first think he has to protect himself. That too will be better with time and love he'll be able to sleep without fear. Someone stold my little Sassy, we all miss her very much. In the summer we always kept her fur cut short because she loved to go under the house and roll in the grass and was always a mess. Good luck and keep up the love.
    Judy

Beautiful dog I am sure that he will settle in quickly when he knows he is loved without condition.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

My Mom had a dog that the groomer thought was mostly Lhasa Apso called Missy. Missy loved to sleep under the kitchen table when anyone was visiting. Her whole life if you accidentally stretched your legs out and bumper her with your foot she woke up growling and acting like she would like to eat your foot. She never bit or anything but it always startled me (and just about everybody else). It was just one of her things. I guess she just woke up cranky, and took the whole getting disturbed thing personally. Hope this helps. Charlie is cute.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2