Life with a cat

Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM

I agree-declawing is barbaric. Can you imagine trying to shovel litter with stumps? How painful that must be, even after they've healed. My BIL lost the tip of one finger over a year ago and still has pain in it. Imagine a cat losing the tips of all front paws.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Great post Stiffchick!

My Tigger is not declawed. I got him from a petstore rescue when he was 1 1/2 years old........I purchased a small scratching post and it only took a couple of times to clap my hands when he started on my chair. He got the meaning and got to the scratching post.

With that said, in my younger years we had a cat and her kittens destroyed one sofa while we were gone from the house. Unfortunately I had the next cat declawed.....my vets only suggestion was to give him a separate room, well that was Impossible so I went forward with the procedure............just my experiences. [my cats are inside kittys]
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM

I have just been given a6 month old cat. He is neutered but is NOT declawed and he will never be. I keep thinking what it would feel like to have my finger nails removed. He and my toy poodle get along great. They hide each others favorite toys and love to chase each other around.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM

Please don't declaw. My s-i-l did and her cat will bite her at the drop of a hat. She can't grab her with paws when playing
so she takes her only other option.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I beg of you PLEASE do not declaw your kitten!!!

It is the equivilent of amputating your finger at the first joint below the fingernail.

Let me give you a few bullets on how barbaric and horrendous declawing is:

It is outlawed in almost every country in the world! The US and Canada are the only few that still do it. Why? Because it is a cash cow procedure for vets.

Declawing is so painful to the animal that pharmaceutical companies use that procedure more than any other to test the efficacy of vetrinary pain killers

Finally, I urge you to go read this essay written by a vet technician on what it is like working "behind the scenes" and seeing, first hand what a horrific and barbaric procedure this is
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawvettch.html

Edited to add a 2001 study revealed 33% of declawed cats developed behavior problems after surgery (18% biting and 15% house-soiling)

Try interactive play with your kitten. Da Bird is a great toy for active felines. Provide LARGE STABLE cat trees for climbing and scratching. Teach your cat to fetch for hours of interactive play and bonding. Please don't declaw your cat.

EDUCATE DON'T AMPUTATE!!!!
Please listen to this lady-I had a cat declawed and it was the worse thing I could have done!! DO de-sex but pleasedo not declaw!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I would certainly get him fixed but NOT DECLAW. His paws will hurt for the rest of his life and he will be in pain when the litter in the box irritates his paws. PLEASE don't. You might want to check with a vet because they do have things to prevent from getting scratch, He is a baby and must be taught just like a dog.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Update on the kitten: we've decided to have him neutered but not declawed. My DH clipped his nails and he is not as aggressive with the dog. Hopefully this will do the trick. He already has a couple of scratching posts so time will tell.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Thank you!! You sound like great cat parents! Keep a spray bottle of water handy-it's a pretty good training tool for cats.

Ask the vet about Soft Paws. They glue them over the existing nails and they only have to be replaced every so often. I have never used them but others have said they're pretty effective.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
I also have to disagree with declawing. I've had two cats at a time for the past 44 years and have rarely had a piece of furniture hurt. And just for your information, I read that catnip had no affect on cats until they are about 1 year old. So don't expect that to work yet. I have one cat that loves to claw the foam kitchen mat. And the other one likes to claw on sisal wrapped posts. If you get it in your area, watch "My cat from hell" on the Animal Planet channel. That guy really knows cats and has some wonderful suggestions. Because of him, I turned my back patio into a "catio". They have scratching posts, chairs with cushions to curl up on and sleep, carpet covered wood ramps for them to run around the perimeter and, of course, some green plastic netting enclosing the whole patio. They just love it. If you don't have a patio that you can enclose, just be sure the cat has different places in the house where he can get up high and look down on the world. They are much more secure there.
In Australia they have a cat enclosure system called Cat Nip-for pictures and ideas-http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-e...m#.UpJiDsSThbQ. I used this for my fur babies and they loved it. they could go in and out as they pleased-climb, sun, prowl and hunt without being in any danger from other animal. I never had a problem with exercise or behavior when they had this outlet. Now they are older and just lay about the sunroom and deck. LOL. Please don't de-claw this baby-you will regret it for the rest of his life. Your vet SHOULD discourage you from this action.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by cagey View Post
update on the kitten: We've decided to have him neutered but not declawed. My dh clipped his nails and he is not as aggressive with the dog. Hopefully this will do the trick. He already has a couple of scratching posts so time will tell.
thank you-thank you-thank you!!!!!