Life with a cat

Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM

My male cat is a terror, has been since he was 6 months old and got him fixed. He terrorizes the dogs and one day the older one just might clean his clock. He kept DH and I awake last night, we forgot to shut the bedroom door. He is very needy at times and last night he roamed all over us, sleeping on us and driving me nuts. I wish we had gotten him a buddy, but now we won't because he might kill another cat. I would suggest a buddy for yours if you can do it, I think 2 work better together than one alone. Good Luck !
Old 11-23-2013, 08:47 AM

I have 2 cats that are about 1 1/2 years old and they love to run and play. I have lots of feathers on dowels, string toys, catnip mice, etc., to play with them and keep them entertained. And the lids from soda water bottles and water bottles are some of their favorite toys as well as balls of crumpled up aluminum foil. My grandfather used to tie a string around a roll of newspaper (about 3" x 4" and about 1 1/2" thick) and play with our cats. He would also tie the end of the string securely around a door knob and the cats would spend a lot of time playing with it on their own. Just like children, cats and dogs need your attention and lots of play time.

Even though my 2 are strictly indoor cats, I have not had them declawed. I have treats for them and they know that when the treats come out, they get their claws trimmed and then the treats. I use nail clippers and cuddle them as I clip their nails. Makes the mani/pedi's fun for everyone!

I also have a cat climbing pole with ledges and boxes for them and the cardboard scratch boxes. When they started to claw my couch, I wet a cloth with white vinegar and, after first color-testing it on a hidden area, wiped down the areas where they were clawing. Cats hate the smell of vinegar. They have not clawed since!

A friend of mine who doesn't have pets said she couldn't believe all the toys I have for my babies. I said just as I bought toys for my nieces and nephews when they were babies, I am doing the same for these.

I hope you have lots and lots of fun times with your darling!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

We had one cat for five years and one later on for 17 years. I always thought they might have needed a buddy. But a few years ago we took in a mama cat and her two girls. I never knew how much hair three cats could shed!!! and at times they fight and chase each other around the house. Mama can be mean or terribly sweet.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 AM

I agree cat declawing is mutilation and painful. I did it one time and will never do again, the cat was never the same. I understand declawed cats also tend to become biters. My cats love their scratching cardboard boxes, everyone has their own.
My neighbors have a cat that is declawed on all 4 paws, poor thing is so upset all the time, hisses, cries and hides. Animals are smart creatures, they know they are compromised. Absolutely neuter/spay, they will be happier for that and so will you. We currently have a new kitten, courtesy of the feral female in the neighborhood, came across her when walking the dog. She was wet, cold, hungry and week. Vet estimated her to be 4-5 weeks. We don’t need or really want another cat but she is tons of love and fun can’t imagine our life without her(Mocha). Good luck and tons of fun with the new furbaby.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Please, Please don't get him declawed. There is nothing worse one can do to a cat.

To keep him from clawing at the furniture keep PLENTY of scratching posts around. We have one cat and she has 5 posts scattered around the house. Also keep a squirt bottle handy for times when they "forget" where their post is.
Having him neutered will help settle him down some.

Declawing means they will take his claws out all the way to their first knuckle it's painful for them. It's inhumane. And he won't be able to defend himself if he happens to get outside. Without his front claws he will not be able to climb a tree if a dog is after him.

You might as well have him put down if your going to take away his only defense. By removing his claws.
I also believe it is wrong to declaw a cat. The one thing that seems to evade notice on this issue, is that things change, things die, including us. What happens to the poor cat then? Whoever is responsible to find the cat a new home has to find someone that will be required to be hyper vigilant, as I assume you would be, about letting a now defenseless cat get out. When a landlord tried to force me to declaw my Bruno, I told him I would just have him put down. I felt that would be more humane. When they take the claws off of a cat, they have to cripple it to do so. It is the equivalent of having your toes removed.
Having said all of that, I have tried scratching posts for Bruno, but he could care less since they are usually too small for him. I have just learned to keep a weighted cardboard box in the house for him to shred the corners of. I just rotate the box until all corners are "dead" then go get a new box. I use piles of books in them for weight. This costs me nothing, gives me a place to store extra books, and I recycle the old corner-less box! Free and helps the planet, and keeps Bruno from making lace out of my furniture. Winning!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Please do not declaw. Put those temp nails on. Play a lot with him with feathers and such. After two years, out twins wanted to go outside like our outside tabby. They had studied birds forever. We have two cat doors, one in laundry room and one in basement. They also love cat trees for climbing and they usually have ropes on them for clawing.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Please, Please don't get him declawed. There is nothing worse one can do to a cat.

To keep him from clawing at the furniture keep PLENTY of scratching posts around. We have one cat and she has 5 posts scattered around the house. Also keep a squirt bottle handy for times when they "forget" where their post is.
Having him neutered will help settle him down some.

Declawing means they will take his claws out all the way to their first knuckle it's painful for them. It's inhumane. And he won't be able to defend himself if he happens to get outside. Without his front claws he will not be able to climb a tree if a dog is after him.

You might as well have him put down if your going to take away his only defense. By removing his claws.
Please, please, please don't have him declawed. It can cause him pain forever. It would be kinder to give him away to someone who wants him. It sounds like you really don't want the cat.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM

I have three cats all are now over 15 years old. They are all indoor cats but I could never have declawed them. It's terribly painful. If they accidentally get out and something chases them, they'd have no way to either claw and protect themselves or even climb a tree to get away. If you're not happy with the cat, just give it away.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 11-23-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
The cat that I received as a retirement gift (from what I thought was a friend) is quite the character. I've never had a kitten in the house before and it sure is an experience. Into everything but the dog seems to enjoy the challenge. Taking him in to get fixed and declawed on Monday and my DH thinks this will settle him down. He's 6 months old. Please tell me my DH is right.
I just read this again. Are you letting the dog torture the kitten? No wonder it is acting up. Please give him to someone who will love him.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Definitely get the kitten neutered. That will mellow him some. Part of the issue between the dog and cat is territory. They will sort it out. If not, give the kitten up for adoption.

Check the law in Wisconsin, since some states or cities have outlawed declawing as mutilation. When I first had cats, I did have a couple of cats that I had the fronts declawed, but one cat ended up having persistent infections in one toe and had to be redone, because the bone had not been completely removed.

Since then, I have always trained my cats to allow me to clip their nails instead of declawing them (much kinder), especially important since mine were indoor cats (another issue to consider due to safety). I also made sure they had clawing posts. I was able to train my cats to allow this, even though they were adult cats. You can buy different types of nail clippers at the pet store. I agree with getting a climbing tree for the cat - you could probably even make one. There is a guy in my area that makes cat trees out of reclaimed materials, like carpet, plywood, and tree roots.

Last edited by caspharm; 11-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.