Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl! >

May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by deedee75
Good Morning Gang!

I was just trying to talk myself out of going for my walk but I'm not allowing myself to. Looking at the weather forcast, today will be the last dry day I'll have to go for a walk.
Good for you, DeeDee75!
Dry weather, wet weather.....When I was super serious about race walking 6 miles/day (some 20 years ago) I decided the weather would NOT stop my exercise. I walked in sleet, rain, snow, ice, nice weather, hot weather - I had used the weather as an excuse - no more. I looked outside & chose my clothing - ear muffs, & mittens if necessary.
Trucks going by occasionally got me muddy - who cared? Mud splashed up the back of my pants or tights too - so what? I was losing weight (60 lb) & getting toned.
I did not always want to get out there, but had to. I even walked after working 12 hour night shift (OB nurse) before I'd shower & go to bed in the morning.
We have 4 kids, & they could not be my excuse either. I'd walk while one played baseball, walk while another practiced football, walked the gym bleachers while another played volleyball, walked the neighborhood where the kids took piano or trombone or drum lessons.
I guess I'm trying to say that you all are important - do not let excuses keep you from getting fit. Every step you take is an investment in your future! A good pair of shoes & old clothes are the only expenses in walking.
I no longer can race walk - age, back surgery, arthritis have all invaded my body.
However, I can park far from the door anywhere I go; I can walk back & forth in my hallway when I'm on the phone; I can walk my covered porch & sit down when my back hurts. I can take the stairs instead of the elevator even if I have to lean on the rail & stop at each step to protect my bum knee. I can drink water instead of Coke while I quilt.
We are all on a journey & how we choose to "move-on-down-the-road" will determine our day, our week, our future. We're worth the effort.
OK everyone, that pep talk was for ME! I'll let you know how diligent I am about making these weak old legs move on a daily basis. :+) Good luck to each of you.
Jan
Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom

Things got hectic last night and I ended up ordering pizza for all of us. I wasn't happy because I know it is not on my eating plan. But I ordered a thin crust mushroom and onion pizza and only had one piece. That is good for me, because I remember it was nothing for me to eat 3 maybe4 fatty meat lovers pieces dipped in ranch and probably have dessert later. I was nervous because I know pizza is high in calories but at least I made a better choice.
Congrats - 1 slice of pizza?? You did well!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Jan you have a great attitude. Love the pep talk. Just what I needed. Was felling bad that I only got in 7300 steps today. I was busy with house cleaning and of course quilting.
Had a pretty good day overall so will do even better tomorrow. Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch and not sure about dinner yet. Maybe chicken on the grill. with grilled veggies.
Talk to ya all tomorrow.
Gail
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM

oh, you ladies are good inspiration. luv the 'give it the most/best shot' attitudes.!!!!
AND YOU ALL are so right. TAKE TIME TO DO THIS FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE WORTH IT.
this is exactly what i have been telling my busy engineer daughter with 2 kids and a 'living with inoperable brain tumor husband".
now i just need to set the good example for my 4 daughters.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 AM

Wanted to say good morning. Need to find some new recipes - getting kinda tired of the same stuff.

Have a blessed Thursday!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 AM

Good morning! Rita's mom-That one piece of pizza was a great plan. Did you look up the calorie count on Myfitnesspal? It will be there and not as scary as you think!

Great motivational comments today. I WILL walk some today.

My fav broccoli recipe:

Take fresh broccoli (or frozen), Cook in chicken broth till you like the texture (some like mushy, some like crunchy), sprinkle with garlic salt, then SQUEEZE the juice of a lemon on top. Very delicious!

A story:
Once upon a time there was a very happy vegetable. He was well loved. People would get him from the grocery store, or out of the garden, and then fix him and eat him, and he would happily join his friends in their tummy. Then they would all have a big party! He was so happy. but...
The people stopped getting him from the store...they would be too busy and pass him by for frozen pizza, etc. Sometimes they wouldn't even go to the store and he got so lonely. He just wilted waiting for his friends...

Can you rescue the lonely vegetable today? Can you find that veggie you used to love and bring him to the table?

Today's Opportunity:
I challenge you to eat one veggie today you haven't in at least 2 weeks. It can be an old favorite, or a new friend you haven't tasted yet. Let us know!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 AM

Jan - Love your attitude and really enjoyed the pep talk. Keep it up! :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 AM

strawberry shake recipe----
l cup of frozen strawberries sliced
l cup of FF milk
lots of splenda

Blend in blender. enjoy
Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 AM

Well,looks like everybody is doing well.I was busy all day yesterday,plus was up all night the nite before,so was exausted yesterday.But did only eat a sandwich,of which I never eat bread,but had a headache and need something before I went to town.And supper was a bowl of salad,and a cup a noodle soup.So,all total just under 1000 calories yesterday,Plus 2 qts of water.2 shy of my goal.And today had a bowl of salad,and a denty moor stew.Stew was 250 calories,and salad,not much except for dressing.So,that's what I had today.Haven't weighed tho.Will see tomorrow morning what I've done,if anything.I did read all the posts tho.And yes,did see you are doing great and sticking with it.Being serious about it.I am too.As the clock has already started ticking.It's not easy to lose weight.We get side-tracked,say,I'll do better tomorrow, etc.When I lose weight,sometimes,I'm hungry as a bear,crabby,light headed,queesy,especially just starting out.After the 1st week,it starts to subside and get better.By the 3rd week,I'm in a groove and losing.One thing I do if I do get hungryis make myself a huge glass of hot water with just enough chicken base to flavor.It is filling and very low calories.A lot of times I'll fix hubby his dinner,then just get me a bowl of salad.That's my supper.Again,I can have broth,green beans,or dill pickles.Their free pretty much of calories and filling.I at times have to push through the wanting of something else,and the side effects of losing weight.But,it does get better as you go along.The 90 lbs I've lost was at a snails pace,and I've kept it off.Only 2 months ago,when I was 160,my neighbor brought us some of the best cake I had ever ate.So,did indulge,and made a few more right along.{It opened the flood gates}Until I got on the scales and saw I'd gained 15 lbs.WHAT?I said to myself.Then I said,OH NO!you get that back off.So,here I am.I got to start all over now.Got to get all that junk out of my system,got to get past the cravings again.etc.I'm mad at myself because I know better.I knew better.But was selfish and gave in.I have no excuses,and no one to blame.I did it because I simply just wanted too,no matter what the consequences.And now,I'm paying for it.That was a selfish thing for me to do.I've said no so many times to people who said,here,do you want some?No.I don't,really.So,my 'no' switch is flipped on again.I have to tell myself no,you can't have that.And I have to reward myself by telling myself,if you lose 20 lbs,you can have a nice dinner.But only one.I can have another one,after the next 20 lbs.So,that's how I lost 90 lbs.I eat small 2 cup portions.Our stomach is the size of our fists.About 2 cups.So,I eat out of a soup bowl.Like we eat TV dinners,and split it.I give him the bulk,and we have green tossed salad.He has bread,and desert,but I don't.And I only drink water.Less is more I think.When I reach the point of when I take a big breath,like starting to get full,4 to 5 bites now,I quite.I've learned to listen to my body.It tells us when were tired,go to bed,starting to get full,quite eating.You don't have to finish your plate.Mine goes in the trash what I don't eat.No leftovers here.Which now isn't much if any.And I don't slip.That cake I ate 2 months ago,and the ones that followed,were not 'slips'.They were cold calculating deliberate acts on my part,that I did not caring or even thinking about can or should I have that.I didn't care,I wanted it,so I did it.That's selfish of me to do that to myself.After all that hard work to just toss it like it's ok to do as I please.Well, it's not ok.Not at all.15 lbs is on the way back to 250 lbs.Not the direction I'm headed.So,please don't do what I did.It's not ok.I care about myself too much to let that happen again.I'm worth saving.At 250 I couldn't tie my shoes,I had to wear slippers.At 250,I couldn't wear levy's.Had to wear stretch denims.Now I can wear levy's.Now I can wear tennis shoes,I can do things I couldn't at 250.So,please don't do what I did.If your going to a gala,choose wisely,or pack your own things to eat.I do that.We went to a big dinner,and I brought my spiru-tien shake from the health food store.Didn't eat a drop.Nor did I want to.I wanted to get the weight off.And I'm serious about it.So,if your struggling,hang in there,it will get better.You will get past the cravings,hunger pangs,the wanting of this or that.Right now,day one and now two,we're all feeling it.Or I am anyway.It's so easy to just give in and eat what-ever.Don;t do it.No candy,no cookies,no ice-cream,donuts,etc.Have puddings,freeze puddings,put puddings in a ice cream cone with a smidge of cool whip,it's yummy.Or,if you do want something,keep it small,count calories,calories do count.I limit myself to 1000 calories a day.We're so use to super sizing everything,we don't even know what a "normal" portion is.I got the Idea of TV dinners from the diet dinners they sell that are expensive.Tv dinners now days are nutritional.Low in calories,and only takes a few minutes to cook.You put a tossed salad with it,there's dinner.Or in the soup isle,they have those Hormel dinners,no refridgeration,and only $1.98 each.And drink lots of water.It flushes the fat cells out,literally.So,I don't have any excuses for not losing weight.It's cheap,filling,and low in calories.I just have to stick with it.And I know I can,I've already done it.So,it can be done.You who are struggling,give it a try.Cook for your families,but you have your own meal.Do it for yourself,and then for your family.So they'll have you around for yrs to come.My hubby's step daughter at 60 yrs old died last xmas from obesiety .She weighed close to 500 lbs,or more,and her heart and body just simply couldn't take it any more.She also was on oxygen. At 60 yrs old,it's too soon.She deprived her grand kids and kids of a grandma,and mother due to her selfish ways and eating habits.She just couldn't say no.Learn to say 'NO' to yourself and stick with it,no matter what.And gain those yrs she didn't get to have due to her own selfishness.I'm doing it for myself,and my family.Good luck to all.And may the best man/woman win those fat quarters.As we do have men competing for them too.In fact you guys need to chime in too.Your probably doing good.I'm doing my best.That's all I can do.Weather it's good enough or not,we'll see.There's a lot of good contenders here.Good luck.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 AM

Good Morning all. This morning is a bit rough for me to get started. I hate waking up not feeling well. No desire to do anything but sleep all day. I have way too much to get done to just lie around.

I am not gonna stop working on my goal of eating healthy, making wise choices and being a better me for me.

Need to put together 2 quilts that need to be finished by monday. They are complete just need to layer and quilt them.

Keep up all the good work and dont give up on your dreams and desires.