Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl! >

May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Additions to the crew:

47. IamCatOwned
48. scrapngmom
49. Xylie55

Welcome!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Hi All,

I joined this challenge today and hope to keep myself motivated by posting daily and reading what everyone else has to say.

I am looking to lose 20 lbs by the end of summer but, hopefully, 10 lbs by July. My husband and I are hiking Half Dome in mid-July and I desperately need to lose some weight by then. We hiked it last summer and I was at least 10 lbs lighter...so it's a big goal for me, and will obviously make the hike easier.

I started WW today and so far, so good. I quilt with my church friends on Mondays, and we celebrated one of the girl's birthdays, so I had a very small slice of coffee cake and counted the points. I am drinking lots of water but will probably not get in a workout today - tomorrow and the rest of the week I will for sure.

Thank you for all your inspiration!!!!

Blessings,
Kim
Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Hi,I would like to join.I need to lost 50 lbs.As I gained 15 lbs in the last 2 months. {been eating desert,which I never do} And started out 3 1/2 yrs ago at 250lbs. Was 160lbs 2 mo. ago.Now am 175 this mornig.15 lbs up.So,time to do something. And a fat quarter is a good price to pay for support and encouragement.
Kudos to you for your weight loss. Welcome to our thread. Good luck with losing the rest of your weight. Sandy
Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Here's my story: Im 53 yrs old. Was skin and bones until I got into my 20's, then I started packing on the pounds. I have done roller coaster weight loss over the years. I tore the meniscus in my right knee several months ago. I got to the point I could not walk. This knee problem really made my need to lose weight hit home. I had surgery for my meniscal tear in Dec. Knee just got wore; became bone on bone, so I had total knee replacement 3 wks ago, tomorrow. I got serious about my wt loss in December, so it has taken me about 4 1/2 months to lose 22.2 lbs. I started out by making small changes in my food portions and cutting out sodas. I love water so drinking plenty of water is no problem for me. I have a long way to go, to reach my ultimate long range goal. I have set small goals which will eventually add up to my long range goal. I need all the encouragement, motivation, cheering, and inspiration I can get. It is so nice to have this thread to share this journey with others going through the same thing. My exercising is limited, until my knee heals completely, but I realize how very important it is to watch food intake AND exercise. We CAN all do this!!!!! Good luck to us all. Sandy
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Well,I'm 55 yrs old.Am disabled too,and have been all my life,but didn't get on disability till I was 37 yrs old because my bone doctor said I had to.No choice.I just couldn't admit to myself I couldn't work anymore.I loved working and missed it terribly.I am in extreme pain daily,as I have degenerative bones.I had my rt radius elbow taken off when I was 14 yrs old as when I was 8,they said they had to wait till I reached my adulthood of sorts as the bone quite growing.I also have a straight neck,no curve,4 carpal surgeries,bad back,knee,etc.Am on pain killers that only dull the pain.But never complained.Am just shot and worn out from all the hard work and wrecks,and arteritus now I've had.I love quilting and have into and around it since I can remember.My mom and grandmother always made quilts and comforters for the less fortunate.So,have been blessed to have been a part of it.I am married,my hubby is 84.We been married and together for 20 yrs now.He's the light of my life.I have no children,but cats and a dog.We have 2 mobility scooters that we ride every evening on the Colorado River and ditch banks.I too can not exercise,but have lost 90 lbs the last 3 1/2 yrs.But have gained 15 lbs back.Slacked off.My fault.I'm not a quitter,whiner,or complainer.I'm a warrier and will fight till the end.I'm not a can't do person,I'm a can do.I can do anything that my abilities allow me too.I push myself hard.I give myself no excuses.I'm this way because of my own bad choices in the past on eating habits.I did a life style change,and now go with portion control,no bread,no butter,use butter flavored pam,green salad.and lots of water.So,good luck to all,and glad to meet you all.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM

best of luck to you. My brother in law had his surgery about 24 months ago and he has been able to maintain to about 20 lbs from his goal. He also is no longer dependent on a sleep apnea machine, isn't experiencing diabetic symptoms, and has taken up scuba diving (being proud to don a wet suit). His depression is much better too.
I am rooting for you as I'm sure the rest of the group is.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Middle aged and also disabled due to brain injury. I also very much miss working! My current goal is to lose 30 lbs before my September checkup (diabetes). Yes, I know, that's maybe a meager number considering I have more than that to lose, but I've learned to put my goals in smaller, achievable steps. My bigger problem is maintaining weight loss,so I'm trying to do this a tad differently. Weight Watchers was great, but I can't afford it. I've lost 10 pounds since March (and it has stayed off!).

As far as personal stuff, I am long divorced and gasp, live with my parents, primarily to provide support for my Mom. My Dad and bro both have severe heart problems so I do all the errands including shlepping them to appointments. I have 5 feline quilt testers, but one cat is a dedicated quilting/knitting cat.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Well HOWDY Y'ALL!! I am Missy and I am 42 (well I will be on the 14th). I am a schizophrenic and I live with my mom and step-dad. I am doing great on my meds and as long as I take them the voices and hallucinations stay away. Yay for that!

I am 24 days away from weight loss surgery and cannot wait for that day! I told my therapist that when they wheel me into surgery I will be cheering and yelling WOOHOO!!! I am just so ready and so excited. I need to lose about 250 pounds so it will not be an easy or short journey but an essential one.

I am very active in my community helping those who are also afflicted with mental illnesses.

I can't think of much else. Oh, one more thing, I have a girlfriend that I love with all my heart and am so happy that we have found each other! She is an angel sent from heaven and I treat her that way. She treats me like a queen and I cannot imagine a day without her.

I am an open book so if you have a question, ask! :)

Missy
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Well, I didn't get the memo but I'll post anyway. I hope that's okay. I am 53 and living on my own with my youngest for another couple of weeks. I am also disabled with a broken spine (failed back surgery), Fibromyalgia, severe Arthrits and a bunch of other things. I became a single mom after 27 years of marriage. I've raised my two oldest successfully and my youngest will graduate at the end of the month. My boyfriend is a cattle rancher and farmer. We have been together for seven years now. I call him my DH just to make it easy, lol! Pain is my biggest enemy and I've fought it all my life as I was born with a malformed spine. I have to admit that it slows me down whether I like it or not. When the Fibro kicked in my first flare up lasted four years and I was unable to move or walk. That's how I gained all my weight. Now that I am doing better I have been motivated to loose weight so I can hopefully improve my situation. I lost #70 but put 10-14 back on over this past winter. So, here I am and I'm trying to get back on track. I do feel so much better when I'm not carrying the extra person around with me.

Best wishes to all of you! Thanks so much for letting me be a part of this great group!

Rose L.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM

And introducing #50...

50. Country1

Welcome, come and share. :D