Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom Sayings

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    "Oh go fall on your head" when we were needling her in a good humored way (she used to say our heads were hard we wouldn't get hurt if we fell on them)
    "I'll give you something to cry about" when we were already crying (never understood that one)

But most of all I remember her trying to figure out my name (I'm the youngest of 4), for a while I thought my full name was "Rich, I mean Bob, I mean Deb, I mean Sue".
    My mom did the same thing with me, I was the last of 4 kids, 3 girls and if she was upset and calling me I would hear "Paula, Carla, Gina get down here!!! lol....

In my family you knew when Mom called you by your first and middle name , it was serious so get front and center fast!

She didn't get upset too much. I think I only got 2 spankings in my life. She is only 5 feet tall, and was a kindergarden teacher and just knew how to handle little kids.

I never had a curfew growing up, but she had me so well trained that as long as I lived at home (til 24 years old) I would tell her where I was going, who I would be with. And I would even call her sometimes if the plans changed!!! Who does this with there parents this day and age!!!!

My mom would say, "If your bored, I can find something for you to do." Needless to say we never complained about being bored.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
    My mom would say, "If your bored, I can find something for you to do." Needless to say we never complained about being bored.
    I can honestly say I don't know what being bored is like. There was always something to do growing up and now. Reading, playing outside, cleaning something, crafts, just sitting around enjoying some still time

Blog Entries
    When we were kids (my two sisters and I), we never put things back where they belonged or returned things so she would say and I'll always remember her for this one (she died 1-1/2 months ago - 96) "Never empty handed to the kitchen go",
    Easy to remember, to the point and thinking it might be a threat or something, we returned everything all the time.

This was a wonderful nostalgic thread.

I always said to our son when he was doing his crocodile thing - You want something to cry about?????? I'll give you something to cry about.'

Have a great day! Edie

Or the time my sister and I had come home from lunch and we were happy and whatever, looking forward to a nice lunch and we got the giggles, so much so that we were snorting milk out of our nostrils (that's gross). Well, she made us get up, took our chairs into the living put the chairs in front of each other and made us sit down facing each other and very nicely said "NOW LAUGH." Needless to say, the whole lunch turned into tears, didn't get to finish our lunch before we went back to school and always remembered to save our outrageous giggles for a time we weren't drinking milk.

We never figured out why the giggles and the laughs wouldn't come. Lesson learned! Good Mother. Thanks, oh wise one!!!!!!

Now the son has his sayings - Granddaughter says "Dad I got an A in my advanced math test." "Oh Good, now I don't have to beat you tonight." The kids would laugh like crazy!
    Last edited by Edie; 09-13-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

" No one is looking at you!"

So true. This phrase gets me thru the day, esp when I head to Walmart in my grubbies. But of course that IS the day that I run into people I know! LOL! Dr. phil has a similar saying...a little more complicated than this brain recalls.

i miss my Mom daily...been almost four years.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

" good enough for who it is for".

This was a saying a friends' mother used to say. Hmmmmm....not sure that I like the attitude!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Grandma's sayings: "close your eyes and what do you see? That's what you'll get" or "wish in one hand and want in the other ." This is when we were whining for something.

"He/she was knew high to a grasshopper." When talking about a young child.

Mom's sayings: " of course you can do ( something) keep at it. " when working on something hard in school.

heard my Grandfather say to a buddy of his, " it's colder than a witches teat" never knew what that meant until older. Lol or if someone is " 2 cents short of a dollar" when someone did something without common sense .

Heard similar if not the same sayings as listed. Brings back memories as the threes three family members are no longer with me. Very sad. I miss them

Blog Entries
    How fun to read everyone's memories, I see a lot that my mom used. The one - your face is going to freeze that way - was used when we made ugly faces at each other (me and my sisters) and if we crossed our eyes she would say they are going to get stuck like that, then she would tells us that our aunt, one of her least favorite relatives, got her eyes stuck crossed and had to hit her head upside the wall really hard to get them unstuck! And we believed it! But one of my all time favorites that not a lot of people heard was "you are breeding a scab" - isn't that wild!!!! She told us that when we were doing something wrong meaning you were going to get a whippin if you kept it up!

When angry at someone, my mom would say, "She can kiss my foot!" I think she still says that!

"Do you want me to wash your mouth out, with soap?!?" - for being sassy or saying something that sounded like a bad word

"Do you want your face to freeze like that?"

I also remember the phrase, "Well, I Swanee!" Not sure if that was my mom or some other relative, but I remember hearing it a lot. It was a "nicer" way of saying, "Well, I swear!"
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

My mom was a dietitian, her favorite sayings ( which I still say to MY kids!) we're:
    "Hot things hot, cold things cold" and " When in doubt, throw it out!" I can't tell you how much iffy food I've tossed hearing her voice I'm my head!

When in doubt , dont.

"You have to suffer to be beautiful." This was said when I objected to her pulling my hair in to a tight ponytail.

God makes them then pairs them, talking about a mismatched couple. Go ask your dad for 1 dollar of entertainment (when she wanted to get rid of a child for a few minute). she had a saying for everything, I should start writing them down. I miss her!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
    How about this one: If you can't say something nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.
    Or the line from "Steel Magnolias"..."If you can't say anything nice, come sit over here by me". Pretty sure that's the way it went.

I also remember "beauty must suffer" during perms. I decided I was fine not beautiful. My mom never used ugly words. When she got really irritated at somebody she would call them a buzzard to herself. That's the worst name she could come up with.

Close the door...you think we live in a barn?

One of mom's best was "If wishes were fishes, we'd all have a fry."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Waste not want not but some things just gotta go!

I remember my mom saying "Don't look at me in that tone of voice" or "Your gonna be the death of me yet" and her favorite "Your crusin for a brusin". I'm sure there are more just not remembering them right now. LOL
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

Mom: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face." " Whoever you are, come here! You live here and I'll remember soon enough!"(when one of us(5) was in trouble) It wasn't a good idea to laugh at her when she said that.
    Great Grandma: "When you get done filling your eyes, maybe you can fill up your pockets for later.", said when someone was staring for too long.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 09-13-2013 at 09:41 AM.

My mama always tells me when she was little, at the table after my grandpa said the blessing, when he said Amen, her and her brother would mouth to each other "Amen brother Ben, shot a hawk, killed a hen"
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

"Wantin" and "Gettin" ain't the same thing.

I hear you ignoring me.

Mom used to say "Stop whining, or I will give you something to whine about!!!"
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

My mom had various German sayings and would use mild swear words in German when we angered her. We were never tempted to imitate that because when I was growing up it was definitely not cool to be half German!

She also picked up various American type sayings, such as "Pretty is as pretty does," "I work my fingers to the bone for you!" (Please, NO!) and "Cleanliness is next to Godliness," and "Do you think money grows on trees?!" I don't think I ever said any of those to my kids. I may have used one that my dad liked to use, "Do as I say, not as I do!" (He always said it with a sly grin.)
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Blog Entries
    "Oh my stars and garters!" It wasn't my mother's saying but I always thought it was funny.

When I was first married we were watching TV at the in-laws, some program with a not very talented singer. My MIL commented "Somebody throw her a fish." No one else in the room reacted but I had a hard time keeping from laughing. Apparently it was a common saying with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast