Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mom Sayings

"Stop that or I'll knock you into the middle of next week!" when we were getting out of hand.
    "Don't eat icicles; you'll turn inside out and blue."
    "Pretty is as pretty does."
    "A blind man on a galloping horse won't see it."

Blog Entries
    "Don't bite your nose off to spite your face." It doesn't make sense now, but suppose it did then.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Some were good - some not so good -
    Any that you recall from your family?

"Some people just hate to have their opinions confused by facts" - when Man was 'on a roll'

"Dibble dabble, play in the gravel" - when child was playing in the sand/gravel after a rain

"I made it to be good" - when complimented on something she had cooked

"Let sleeping dogs lie" - when asked about circumstances surrounding her divorce

"Perfection is impossible; however, excellence is attainable" - when commenting on something she or I had made

"No point in crying over spilled milk - there's the bucket and sponge - go clean it up" - pretty much her approach to a lot of things.
    You are electioneering you are fixing to get elected,meaning you are about to get your butt spanked if you did not quit doing what you are doing. I miss my mommy she just died the 14 day of July of this year at least I had her 50 yrs that is my age hers was 72 almost 73 would have been the 3rd day of this month.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    Mom used to say "Stop whining, or I will give you something to whine about!!!"
    Or my mom's version - "stop CRYING, or I'll give you something to cry about!" The first time that popped out of my own mouth, I knew I had become my mother. ( No, she never did give us anything to cry about, and neither did I! Haha!)

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    Or my mom's version - "stop CRYING, or I'll give you something to cry about!" The first time that popped out of my own mouth, I knew I had become my mother. ( No, she never did give us anything to cry about, and neither did I! Haha!)
    My dad would say that . . . but he meant every word of it. He didn't "get" that hurt feelings also caused tears.

What I passed along to my kids was, "If I hear crying, I'd better see tears!"
    I'm such a mean, old biddy!
    Last edited by Neesie; 09-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    That saying that 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me'

is just so NOT true!

Sometimes unkind words hurt a lot longer than a physical injury - and are harder to 'get over'

Blog Entries
    My Mom used t say. I hate to admit it but then she would also laugh here goes

Why do I have to pay you to be good? Why don't you be good for nothing like your father !!!!!!

This may fit some people?

"Your fathers freckles" My father had freckles...on his butt. Whenever we frustrated her to the point of almost screaming.
    "Better to be alone than in bad company" whenever we had a falling out with friends or boyfriends.

These were my grandmother's, she died in 1954 before I could remember her. My mother quoted her mother often.

Don't kick a horse turd, it might be you uncle.
    If a person will steal a penny, he will steal an ox.
    Sweet Caroline

When we didn't do something fast enough for Mama, she would say "You're moving like dead lice dropping off of you." I never did get that one.
    Daddy always said "Book sense without horse sense makes no sense."
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

My mother's words to live by were "you should've said.....". If someone cut her off (or whichever of us was driving) the worst thing she would wish the careless driver was "four flat tires". Miss you mom, love you.

Enjoyed all of these and have heard most of them. In fact, I still say a lot of 'em. But the only one I can remember now is what our neighbor said about a couple that the woman was much taller than the man. "Just like when the monkey kissed the cow, there's somebody for everybody". Never heard it said again, and I'm not sure it makes sense. But, I've remembered it for 55 years
    jean

Blog Entries
    My mother would often repeat what her mother said about sewing "Sew on Sunday and take it with your nose on Monday".

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    you can't plow a field just by turning it over in your mind. never start a water gun fight if you don't want to get wet. you CAN'T die of embarrassment/tomorrow will bring new drama to your teenage life
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    my uncle Paul never smoke, drank o cussed. ever. one time he smacked his thumb instead of the nail and snapped/yelled "cracklin Ice!" that was his version of an expletive and I only heard I twice.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    Love all of these sayings and my mom also said most of them. Another that I remember her saying to me on more than one occasion (What does that say about me as a child? Hmmmm!) "There is a little bit of bad in the best of us and a little bit of good in the worst of us so it behooves none of us to talk about the rest of us." Think about that for a minute! Mom has been gone for over 30 years and I miss her every day. Every, every day.

Oh! She also use to say, "If you spit up in the air it will come back and hit you in the face!" It took me a while to figure out what that meant.

Thanks, Members. I love these posts.

Power Poster
    My MIL used to say this often - still not quite sure what it was supposed to mean -

Bread and beer,
    If I wouldn't be married,
    I wouldn't be here.

One my grandfather used to say was "there's something rotten in Denmark" referring to a situation that wasn't on the up and up.

"If it's doubtful, it's dirty"

"Little pitchers have big ears" (don't say it in front of kids if you don't want it repeated)

Another one "paying for their raising" when kids acted just like the parents did as children.

Power Poster
    Keep your nose clean.

Little children should be seen and not heard.

Keep your pants on.

Love them all.

"You kids are in and out more than a fiddler's elbow" when we would run in and out of the house playing.
    "He's slower than molasses in January" when one of us would be pokey. And on the other hand "He disappeared like a fart in a gale of wind" when someone would speed off.
    "If it isn't her ass, it's her elbow" about someone who would always complain of aches and pains. And the one I've found myself using with my own kids: "Don't look at me in that tone of voice!" because we didn't dare talk back but she knew we wanted to! LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
    My mother would often repeat what her mother said about sewing "Sew on Sunday and take it with your nose on Monday".
    I have to ask what does this mean?

This is a great thread!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    my uncle Paul never smoke, drank o cussed. ever. one time he smacked his thumb instead of the nail and snapped/yelled "cracklin Ice!" that was his version of an expletive and I only heard I twice.
    My husband never uses bad swear words...at least around me. One of his favorite "cuss words"is mahogany! oh and cinnamon rolls royce! lol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    That saying that 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me'

is just so NOT true!

Sometimes unkind words hurt a lot longer than a physical injury - and are harder to 'get over'
    Boy, is this ever true.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast