Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!! >

my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM

[quote=Lostn51]Just send the family a HUGE plate of ExLax brownies to say thank you for coming over and spending Christmas this year!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Billy[/quot
Good idea! Make sure that you decorate them with each of their names...I think they deserve 3-4 each....Susie
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
JJs
Banned

I always tell kids - within earshot of parents - when you are in my house, you are my kid...

now I would never lay a hand on any body else's kids but if they are acting like nit-wits then they hear about it....

I flat out told one woman I did not want her grandson in my house ever again - he's the kind that snoops and sneaks and peeks to see if you are watching...

and as others have said - re-examine the relationship - is it your house or bf's?, who pays the bills?,.....

can't tell me that some other "adult" in the house didn't know some of that was going on...
are these kids going to be like the little '*&it' that burned that other grand-daughter's quilt..?

better alone than surrounded by trash...

MOO-YMMV
Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM

I am so, so sorry that happened to you. :( :(
Kids will be kids, although those were well old enough to know better!
And then to have her laugh about it?! :shock: :evil:
Tally up a bill for item replacements, and hours/days of putting it all back to rights, and send it to them!
I'll be hoping the son and dil do make it right for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Goodness....I think I would have wound up on the 6:00 news as the quilter who strangled the little kids with the remnants of his quilt.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM

If that had happened to me, that would be their last visit to my house. When you offer the hospitality of your home and you're treated like that, you have no obligation to invite them again. So sorry this happened to you!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 AM

And she LAUGHED?????? This would make me think of whether or not the relationship with the BF could survive not having this family back in your house. Since they didn't even offer to make it right, I highly question what I would do in the future if this BF relationship took off for something serious. I mean, how would you handle it? How appalled was your BF? Did he state they shouldn't come back? Or does he think they should? Did he offer to make it right? (Just offer?) It is his son.

Think carefully about the future with these folks in it, and what they mean to your BF. It's a hard situation. I know you won't have them back...I'm sure that's clear. And you can do that with a BF. A little harder with a hubby's son!

Sorry this happened.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

You Know....I have 6 children and they would be appauled by this behavior..mine range in age from 6 -13. I would never say my children are perfect....but they have manners and they would never destroy someones house like that...EVER! I don't see how it is to hard to manage children. I am not a perfect parent by far either..but I have to say that I try to instill good qualities in them. This is a hard situation for you....it is your family..You can't cut them out.....you love them....just hard to be around them.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 AM

I like Billys' idea!
K
Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM

Everyone, down to my 1 1/2 year old grandson knows that Honeys sewing room is off limits unless for a special reason. Bedrooms are off limits, too. They have a big living room and foyer to play in. When they come to visit individually I let them come in to help me and to show them how things work. They also know to NEVER touch my machines unless I give them spacific permission. The oldest one (12) is now learning to sew and is a making a quilt for his parents. But he never touches anything unless I say he can. These are ground rules that were set down for my own kids. Nothing irks me more that to see a mother park herself and expect everyone else to watch her little darlings :evil: When ours were little my husband and I were constantly on the go keeping an eye on things. When I was growing up we had cousins like that. When we knew they were coming we would lock our bedroom doors :? One sons girlfriend (gone now, thank God) assumed that we were there only to watch her daughter so that she could sleep in and go out at night. After pulling that once, I informed her that my own daughter never asked that of me and I wasn't doing it for her. Emergencys are one thing, being taken advantage of is another :twisted: I had enough of that growing up the youngest of 9 and being expected to watch my brothers kids whenever they decided. I made up my mind at an early age that being a door mat was NOT my lifes calling :!: :!: I love my grandsons dearly but they know that there are certain rules at honey's house, just like at home. I am very lucky that my kids accept their roles as parents and take them seriously. :thumbup: WOW, I guess that hit a nerve :oops: :oops: If our kids had ever acted like that, there would have been a large amount of "political incorrectness" dished out then they would have been made to right letters of appology. By no means did I do everything corredt as a parent{that's kind of hard to do because they don't come with a guide book} but I did everything I could to instill manners and acceptable behavior and respect for other peoples property :!:
Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 AM

In this case I feel speaking with the BF or the parents would have no effect. The next time those kids are in your home, right after they take off their shoes at your door, you should have them sit down and tell them your house rules. Explain to them what they can and cannot do. Maybe even have a few board games or some crafty items or a movie for them.

I would also tell them straight out how what they did to your sewing room made you feel,and you know deep in their pockets they have more respect for the things of others. Make sure you ask them if they have any questions and if they understand, and make sure they all say "yes." Also, if they do not feel the need to follow your rules and for some reason they come back to your house, they will have to sit in ___ chair/step/sofa/porch and not move until they leave.

It may work, it may not, but they did it and they need to be called on it. At least you know you tried.

edit: Another thing you could do although you probably don't want to do anything for them, is sew each up a pillowcase or something small. Wrap them as a gift. After they agree to the rules present them and watch how they react. That should give you a little insight. They're just kids. They can't help who their parents are.