Need encouragement

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Bless your heart!! I hope this doctor is raked over the coals by professional people for being such a jerk. Not funny! Sometimes it seems like a lot of medical people just don't want to fool with us "older folk". If he doesn't know how to help you, he could have said so, and referred you to another doctor. I pray there will be a solution and hopefully not involve more surgery. Thinking of you prayerfully.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM

Dear Linda,
I have great empathy for you since I am facing some of the same health issues. I have inherited some of the family’s worst arthritic genetics. I also have a great Dr. specializing in diagnostics and pain. I have been the whole route of drs. and have found this specialty to be the best as far as pain relief. My dr. is very considerate; he listens to all my complaints (there’s a lot!) and comes up with options. I am looking at a knee replacement but first am trying some of the artificial lubricant injections. Works pretty good. Realistically, I know I will always have pain. I just need to learn when to have pain relief injections and learn what foods aggravate the arthritis pain and do my exercise and stretches. Yoga works really good and swimming. Pay attention to your diet, consider a gluten free diet. I know it’s difficult, but you do get results. Go online to search gluten free diets. I have had a really bad 2 weeks of pain and having injections, but please know that I am here and living thru some of the same issue and you can yank my chain any ol’ day when you need encouragement. We all need that support. Sometimes family’s don’t understand or don’t want to, or maybe we don’t want to share our health issues with those who don’t understand. Anyway, it’s a process and one we cannot ignore. Oh, by the way, your dr. is an @$$ hole! If you do go back to him (not a good idea) Tell him you hope he feels the same level of pain, you are having, in his crotch area. Anytime you want to vent about your pain send a pm to me. Take care and have a blessed 4th of July.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

After reading several of the responses, I have to agree that you need a second opinion and fast. I feel your pain, as I too have many problems in my joints because of arthritis - remember - it is not your friend. However, that said, there are ways to better cope with the disease. Since I've moved, I'm trying to build up the network I used to have where I got help. I went to a massage therapist who was extremely helpful, felt better after the first session, and was amazed at my progress. Look for alternatives, but please get a second opinion and fast. I too met with an uncaring doctor, and for the first time, wrote a letter to the administrator and got an apology. When I saw another Dr. in that clinic - at the recommendation of a friend - he said he was told to be very nice to me. Sometimes you get results by being a lion and raising a ruckus. It sure felt good to me to have someone listen. Get that second opinion, and know that there are others that face similar obstacles every day. Hang in there.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 AM

I just want to add that I have fired my primary Doctor for insensitive remarks and when I found a new one I called to have my records moved and told them exactly why I was leaving. I also have had knee shots for years before I finally had to have new knees and what a relief it is to be able to walk pain free. I have put on a great deal of weight from inactivity due to pain. Not good but it happens. Good luck to you. Jan
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM

I had to have surgery on a knee a few years ago. The doctor I saw originally was asking me questions I thought he could decide, like, "What medication can I give you?" Duh.. whatever is good in the situation and is not on my allergy list. Then he said something about I wasn't ready for surgery, I should go home and think about it more. He had already said the knee needed surgery. By the time he got finished, I was crying and was angry. He finally said, "What do you think?" I said, "I think I need a different doctor." He got up and walked out of the room. I went to a different doctor.
My brother is an RN. His statement about MDs is "They bury their mistakes."
Find a doctor that you believe cares, knows what s/he is doing and does not verbally abuse you. There are good and skillful doctors (MD, DO, DC) out there. You may use a combination of more than one doctor and/or more than one method.
You might look on the computer for a doctor in your area that uses the Feingold Technique. It is an accupressure method that can treat many different things, including allergies and pain, and other things that may be contributing to your issues.
I had chronic pain for about 10 years. I learned to treat it various ways. One thing I found out was that I was allergic to calcium, my body wasn't using all the calcium I was taking. I was treated with a method that was available before the Feingold Technique. I currently go to a chiropractor who has taken all the training for this technique. I also use supplements that have helped drastically.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM

DIE? Honestly? OMG! Look into a natureopathic doctor. They are out there and can show you the way to natural healing or at least coping with what you have been given. Try to keep your body in neutral as much as possible. Meaning - do not overstress your joints. Wrists straight, head forward, elbows bent, etc. I'm sure there are natural products that can help you and a doctor who needs to be kicked to the curb!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Can you do something creative. like hand sew or paint abstract watercolors? Think of Grandma Moses! I was thinking something like that could takr your mind away from your troubles....
Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM

At age 40, my ex-doctor asked if I thought my aches and pains were "normal" for someone my age!!! I also have inherited arthritis, (started noticing at age 18!!), so I feel your pain. Most of my joints are affected, as it sounds like yours are. So far, surgery on one hand and one total hip replacement. The second hand, and hip will need doing within the next couple of years. Unfortunately, not much can be done for a spine.

Hang in there, and definitely get a second opinion. I am so pleased with the doctor I found...he LISTENS!!!, and speaks in "people" terms. And he's a dang fine surgeon to boot!!!!! :D

I hope you can find a doctor that can give you some relief....SOON!!!!

Patti