New Pots and Pans

Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 AM

I love my Magnalite - the real stuff not some of the knock-offs now available. I also have a set of Wolfgang Pucks that we just picked up at Sam's one day because my dh thought that were better looking that the Magnalite. They are also heavy duty and wonderful plus glass lids.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
All-Clad! Made in the USA, stainless, and are a dream to work with.
Love my All Clad! Bought mine 10 yrs ago and they still look brand new.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM

I have a mixed bunch of SS that I picked up one at a time to replace all the TFal I had been using for years. Most of the stainless that I have had directions on cleaning and the best advice on that was to only use Dobie scrubbies on them, not ever steel wool or even "greenies". The only powder they recommended was Bar Keeper's Friend. I only have to use that when I cook beans and it leaves a bluish discoloration. I gave all the wonderful old cast iron pans to my son as it got to where I couldn't pick them up anymore, specially the 14" fry pan. I miss them though.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM

I like Revere Ware stainless steel. they cook well, easy to clean and still look nice, they get used daily. Plus if for some reason there is a problem Revere will replace the piece. Glass lids are the great. I still have Revere Copper pots that are almost 50 years old, my mothers, these pots are still going strong. I will pass them on to the next generation.
All are dishwasher safe.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
I'm in the market for new pots and pans.
Does anyone know anything about the differences (good and bad) amongst Stainless Steel, Hard Andonized, and Porcelain Coated pans?
I just don't know what to get. I'm looking for the most durable and easiest to clean.
I love my Cory stainless steel cookware ! They are 51 years old and still looking good.
Syl
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 AM

I used to have a set of Revere Ware stainless with copper bottoms that were fabulous to cook with. Over 20 years later the few pans I still have of that set work great. (Daughters moving out on their own have the others from the set.. =) I did try to buy my girls a set and the quality wasn't near what it had been back when I bought mine.. too bad.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 AM

My mom is still using the revere ware pans she got for her wedding in the early 1940's. They have be scrubbed with everything you can think of (6 girls learned to cook in them and have seen lots of burned dinners) and they are still going strong. Mom doesn't polish the copper bottoms any more but other than that they still look and cook good.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM

I think good stainless steel is the best and Barkeepers friend to clean them . It gets rid of that rainbow looking effect on SS. Don't use Brillo, it will scratch.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 AM

I think you need a variety. I have stainless; you can't beat them (with the exception of cast iron, which I also have) to brown with. A good non-stick pan won't peel. I love Rachael Rays oval skilliet and her large oval pot; it's the most used in my house. I have great stainless steel. They are great and easy to clean. If you have hard stains then on the outside you can use oven cleaner and on the inside of any type of pot you can use old wine or vinegar and when it soaks it'll remove even the most burnt on crud. I also have on large heavy pan. In my experience you need more than one type. I also have the black ironized ones and they are great. If you buy cheap you'll spend more money replacing them over the years but if you buy good they'll last for years
Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 AM

I think stainless is the way to go. That being said, I also believe that a great cast iron skillet is essential.