Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: November Weight Loss Challenge

CONGRATULATIONS GAYLE !!!!! Now you have to share your "secret" to this great loss with the rest of us!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Congratulations, Gayle! That is great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    PennIF - I also did a block but it was not in a quilt --- it was in a book of quilt blocks (3 ring binders with the plastic protectors over the blocks).
    The two winning quilts that were thread painted were AMAZING!! Check out the site for the quilt show to see them. Also had a beautiful display of red and white quilts for the show's 40th (Ruby) anniversary.
    Thank you so much for the info....maybe they didn't realize just how many folks would send blocks and just didn't have time to make all the quilts???? Sure hope they do something positive with all the blocks they got. I did go on line and look at the posted winners and special mentions. WOW - some amazing work !!!
    Hope you had a good time.

Just checking in - - hope everyone is having a great week. I will be out of town until the middle of November and will check in again when I return
    bjsmith57

Thank you! This is the first time I have ever won! I have done this challenge for a couple of years, off and on.
    I worked hard at it.

My goal is to lose another 13 by December 9. I am going on a Caribbean Cruise with my mother and there is a excursion we may want to go on that has a weight limit. Not sure if I can make it but it is a goal. Don't know if mom wants to go on that one or not but in case she did, I need to lose the weight to be able to go.
    Wish me luck!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    I recieved 2 months of FQ from Lakegal today. I just noticed you live near me too. The LQS near you is my favorite shop. I love Quilters Studio. So many batiks.
    I have been eating ok. I still need to clean up some more bad habits. My DH keeps bringing home goodies. I am on a peanut butter kick. He keeps bringing home peanut butter filled pretzels. I have a really hard time staying out of them. He complained last night he has gained a few pounds. 5 minutes later he was trying to talk me into making fudge.
    I tried a yoga class on Monday night. I went pretty well. I am signing up for the class. I was a little bit stiff the next morning but not bad. I could use something to relax.

Congratulations to you Ms. Gayle! Ten pounds in a month is evidence of a lot of hard work. I wish you continued success.

Just an fyi for meanmom, I know I still need to send my f/qs. I won't forget.

Have not been eating very clean this week. Soda has been creeping back in. It always happens when my life gets crazy. Just easier to grab a DP and keep on going. My sewing machine quit on Tuesday - I still have 4 quilts to finish for Christmas gifts. We drove to Austin yesterday to have our transmission fixed at the dealership - problem is under warranty so we were furnished a rental. Car was supposed to be ready for pick up this morning, but once we got there we learned it will be sometime next week.

That has been my life this week. Do you ever get tired of thinking about your weight? Why can't I keep it off when I lose it - I've lost these same 30# so many times that I'm ashamed of myself.

Have a good weekend. I wish you success on whatever you are working on!
    Lynne
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

I lost a little the first couple of days of Nov. but nothing since and I think I have been pretty good. My main problem now is my left knee. I fell a couple of months ago, really messed up knee. Because I had no insurance at the time I really could not afford to see a doctor. But now I'm on Medicare with a supplement plan and I see my family doctor this coming Thurs. and will ask for a recommendation of a orthopedic doctor. I really miss taking my walks, using my eliptical and just all around moving. I have to be very careful of how I move my left leg because that knee will just give out on me. I did kind of eat, not kind of, actually eat stuff I shouldn't have - french fries, chicken mcnuggets and some pumpkin dessert that I made for my sister and her family. I only had a little of everything, not even what some would consider a lot but enough. Gave up soda again and am trying to stick with water and my hot tea. Hopefully I will do better by the end of Nov.

Blog Entries
    I am down 1 pound this week. My knee is also still stiff. I saw the dr last week and he ordered a Synovisc (I am sure i spelled it wrong) shot for me. They worked really well before the surgery. Insurance has changed the rules on them so it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get it. He is going to do a cortisone injection with it. That hurts but it does work well. Last time he added cortisone I could hardly walk out of the office. It was fine the next morning. I hope it works otherwise the next step is knee replacement. I'm not sure I can walk 1/2 mile right now.
    I am trying to clean up my diet. I need to cut out the sugar and more of the white flour etc. It is so hard since I am such a carb lover.

Blog Entries
    Just came back from an 11 year old's BD party. Lasagna, ceasar salad, and ice cream sundaes. Tomorrow I will starve!!!
    Have got to get this weight off. Meanwhile --- I will drown myself in H2O!!!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I am down 1 pound this week. My knee is also still stiff. I saw the dr last week and he ordered a Synovisc (I am sure i spelled it wrong) shot for me. They worked really well before the surgery. Insurance has changed the rules on them so it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get it. He is going to do a cortisone injection with it. That hurts but it does work well. Last time he added cortisone I could hardly walk out of the office. It was fine the next morning. I hope it works otherwise the next step is knee replacement. I'm not sure I can walk 1/2 mile right now.
    I am trying to clean up my diet. I need to cut out the sugar and more of the white flour etc. It is so hard since I am such a carb lover.
    meanmom, do you do the Synvisc One or the Synvisc 3-step? My last Synvisc was Feb '13 and I'm due for another one in both knees. It just about cripples me for about 2 weeks, and I have to use the elliptical for a month to be able to move at all. I have to use my orthopedic in Houston as the one I've found in Austin is not very sympathetic to my pain and refuses to prescribe pain meds. My Houston doctor will. Now that the FDA has re-tiered so many drugs, things may be different.

I've been fighting something respiratory all weekend; trying to wash away this scratchy throat with DP. Those 2# I've lost this week will come back if I don't get a grip.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Was wondering why everyone was so quiet this month. Forgot to subscribe to the thread. Oops!
    I have been very busy working on things to sell at a bazaar at my church on the 22nd. I found a few baby quilt tops I had made but not quilted. Those are done now along with a couple of others that were panels and added batting and backing to and then quilted. I've been sewing them together and birthing them when possible to avoid binding. I've only had to bind 2 so far. One last one to do and then maybe I'll do some Christmas table runners. Then maybe some burp cloths and receiving blankets. So much to do, so little time. I'm hoping to sell a bunch. I only have to pay $25 for a table and then the rest is all mine.
    I really want to lose some weight this month. I really would like to win those red fat quarters. Too bad I'm putting too much food in my mouth. The pot of chili I made is so yummy....especially with a piece of cornbread broken up in it. And then there's the pan of brownies I made yesterday for hubbies friends.
    Sorry if any of you are Bears fans but I am really enjoying the Packer game tonight. They are the only team I care about watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    I have been very busy working on things to sell at a bazaar at my church on the 22nd. I found a few baby quilt tops I had made but not quilted. Those are done now along with a couple of others that were panels and added batting and backing to and then quilted. I've been sewing them together and birthing them when possible to avoid binding.
    Pam, I went on a quilt retreat this weekend. I took Friday off, I need to do that every once in a while. It really does me good to have some 'me' time. While I was there I made a cute little potholder with some novelty fabric. I birthed it to avoid the binding, espcially on something so small. There just isn't a lot of room to work on the spot where the binding joins with itself (does that make sense?) Anyway, I haven't finished slip stitching it closed so I'm not sure if I'm completely happy with it but it sure was easy enough.

While I was there I did not eat well, but didn't go completely crazy. They didn't have a snack table so that helped or I would've eaten the whole time! But the dinner I ordered Saturday night was huge! Trying to make healthier choices this week. I'm NOT brave enough to get on the scale this morning.

Have a good week everyone.

Cindy, sometimes it's best to wait a day or 2 to weigh. I feel like I could use a retreat every month to get caught up. When I "birth" a project, I topstitch around the outside edge. It closes that opening plus holds everything together - nice and neat. Plus no hand sewing!

Checking in--my parents were here for the last week visiting and we ate out a few times. Now this week I'll have to get back in the habit of exercising more faithfully and watching what I eat. I didn't do too terrible while they were here but had more desserts and less exercise than I should have. And Pat, I haven't forgotten that I still need to mail you the FQs!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    Cindy, sometimes it's best to wait a day or 2 to weigh. I feel like I could use a retreat every month to get caught up. When I "birth" a project, I topstitch around the outside edge. It closes that opening plus holds everything together - nice and neat. Plus no hand sewing!
    I'll try that Pat (topstitching). Before I know it retreat is going to feel like a distant memory. First day back at work and already I have a knot in my right shoulder area.

Blog Entries
    Leann I have been getting synvisc-one injections for a while (3 years?). I haven't had one since February. I had surgery to clean things out at the end of May. He removed the meniscus and everything else. There were chunks of bone floating around in there which made things worse. He wanted to wait until it was thoroughly healed before he started the injections again. I am waiting on the insurance company right now. SHould be next week. Before surgery my knee was stiff and a little bit sore that evening. It was fine by the next morning. I sometimes would take some Aleve, nothing stronger. If he added Cortisone it was a little bit worse. I'm not a Dr but that much pain doesn't sound right to me.
    I went to Yoga tonight for the second time. I really like it. The only problem with it is that I am so relaxed when I get home I am too lazy to do anything. I need to get my stuff together to teach a class tomorrow night. I'm feeling too lazy to do it. My eating got a little bit crazy over the weekend but I am back on track now. I did stay within my WW points. I just used a lot of my extras. Everyone eat healthy and exercise as much as you can.
    Pat

Well, I weighed myself today and found that I have gained a pound since the beginning of the month which was kind of depressing because I thought I had held steady during my parents' visit. But I wasn't doing as much exercise as I should have been. I'm going to have to be strong with all the holiday candy and cookies and limit myself!

Pat, the FQs will go out in tomorrow's mail, they're all packaged and ready to go. Sorry it has taken me so long this month to get them to you. And I know what you mean about the yoga, I only do the Wii kind but I feel so relaxed afterwards.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I'd like to participate, would love to do the FQ challenge but it's complicated and expensive to mail things in and out of Panama. There's no postal system like we have in Canada - because homes/businesses don't have street addresses! Imagine navigating in a city of 1.5 million people by landmarks only!

So I'm here for the mutual support and camaraderie.
    Valerie

Blog Entries
    Welcome Valerie. This is a great group. I wish you could join the FQ challenge. I never knew that about Panama. Wow that would be hard to navigate.
    It was a crazy day at school today. The kids were wound up. I don't know how they can be so needy. They have worn me out. They are third graders. Today was one of those days where I think they would forget to breathe if we didn't tell them to. We were trying to do some math word problems. They were yelling out "I need help" before we even read the problem. Crazy day. The good thing is I didn't even come home needing chocolate. I had an apple with a little bit of peanut butter.

Pat (and anyone else with knee pain), here are some ideas for gentle exercises to help your knees.
    http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...936aL2MTKvE%3d
    Last edited by Pam H; 11-13-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info Pam. I will have to check it out. I haven't been getting the forum in my email all week. This has happened before I just notified them. I just made an appointment for Monday to get my Synvisc-one shot in my knee. I helped a lot before the surgery. Hopefully it will still work. I might have to skip my yoga class that night. I will see how it feels. If he adds Cortisone it really hurts. I am taking Monday off for the appointment and a mental health day. The kids have been awful. You would think there was a full moon.
    I have been getting in a lot of walking this week. I can thank the weather for that. I am outside for bus duty for 30 minutes in the morning. It is really cold so I walk around to stay warm. I had 7500 steps in when I got home yesterday.it was 22 and windy today. Also I'm not used to the cold yet.

Thanks for the link Pam...i'm going to try those too.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend....have SO many projects that need finishing so hopefully i'll make progress.

Hello Beautiful People,
    meanmom, good luck with the Synvisc. When I get those injections, I am in bed for a week, then on the elliptical for a month to get my movement back. I never knew anyone could function after that. I am putting it off as long as possible. I have too much to finish before Christmas to do it this year.

Also, put my fq's in the mail today.

My kid is home for the weekend, so I am really gonna have to watch my portion sizes. DH is recovering from a dental visit yesterday, and we finally got our car back after being at the dealership for a week. What a great day yesterday was. With my son home, I have no place set up to sew, so I'm clearing my closet desk in the hopes that I can at least piece a top. I am blessed to have a binding to whip down during tv. When that is done, I'll only have 5 gifts to complete.

I hope you all have great progress with your projects and weight loss efforts. Stay safe and warm.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Blog Entries
    I quit receiving the quilting board in my mail this week. It seems to do this from time to time. I looked in help and notified them. SO today I received Tuesdays forum. Weird.
    My DD and her family are coming tonight to watch the football game. No idea who is playing. I made a big pot of chili. The grandkids will be here too. Fun evening.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast