Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG another storm headed towards the Northeast !! >

OMG another storm headed towards the Northeast !!

OMG another storm headed towards the Northeast !!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM

The new storm was "gently" mentioned here in FL almost before Sandy hit!! Sometimes, it's good not to have so much information!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM

we are in west central pa and didn't get it too bad. some in pa did.
Continued prayers for those affected.
Take care all
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Many prayers to all of you on the East Coast, and hope your power is restored real soon.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM

I hope it blows out to see too. My gosh no more storms need to come right now. Prayers go out to all.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 AM

If all you DON'T have is heat and hot water, you should consider yourself very lucky. My 97 year old aunt and uncle in Broad Channel have lost their home of 65+ years. They had 11 feet of water rush in. Fortunately they evacuated before the storm, but they have NOTHING to return home to. And my cousins in the Rockaways could not get out fast enough with their five children and spent 3 days trapped on the top floor of their house while water swept through their basement and recently renovated main floor. Their store (and means of income) was also washed away. My own husband has been working 16 hour days for National Grid helping to restore power to the Southampton and Bridgehampton areas. They say God makes the back strong enough for the burden. This is quite a burden, more-so for some than others. I'm sorry for your troubles. But try to count your blessings - you have a cold home, but at least you still HAVE a home.
Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I'm tired of being inconvienced from Sandy. I worked on Mon, and I can't deal with another storm. We still don't have heat, or hot water.. Not coming for another week. They are waiting for a substation to be up, and running.. One of my offices is still without power, and therefore not functioning. NO FUN
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Sorry for your family Debbie, it's so hard to recover from devastation, especially when one is up in years. Can bring on a serious 'give up' situation. At least when FL gets hit, we don't have to deal with cold temps. We were out 5 days of power once, nearly croaked from the 95 degree temps and the extremely high humidity from all the rain. Can deal with that more than cold. I hope power gets restored in the needed areas soon/
Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Well, as we all known..when it rains, it pours
I just want gas to get to doc appt.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Thank you, Needles. I have immediate family in Florida (Orlando and Holiday) and I always worry whenever they're in a storm's path. 'Sandy' left devastation beyond belief. Including my home town of Port Jefferson and where I now live in Mastic Beach. It is what it is....just deal with the aftermath. Lights and power will eventually be restored. Be a good neighbor. I'm fully restored now, but my back-door neighbors have not been so lucky. I've made soups and stews, offered to charge cell phones and have invited them to come in for a shower and an evening in front of television. It is the LEAST I can do. I spent the better part of my Sunday volunteering at the local nutrition center sorting and handing out bags full of non-perishable foods, baby items, dog/cat food....the list goes on. The donations that came through those doors today has more than humbled me. I had an emotionally moving day today - one I will always remember. By the way, today is my uncle's 98th birthday. I just called his cell phone and sang to him.
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Sorry for your family Debbie, it's so hard to recover from devastation, especially when one is up in years. Can bring on a serious 'give up' situation. At least when FL gets hit, we don't have to deal with cold temps. We were out 5 days of power once, nearly croaked from the 95 degree temps and the extremely high humidity from all the rain. Can deal with that more than cold. I hope power gets restored in the needed areas soon/
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM

Just what they need! My 76 year old sister in MD. had to be rescued from her home on the mountain after the power went off. She was alone in the dark when a fireman friend came to get her and she was taken care of for 2 nights at the fire hall until my niece came to get her. She had just got out of the hospital the day before.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Thoughts and prayers going out to all affected by Sandy. We certainly got lucky here only two days out of power and that was it. I remember the storm this past summer where we were out for five days in the extreme heat. I can only imagine how those further toward the coast feel. Keep your chins up and your faith strong. Hopefully all will be back to normal or as close to it as possible before long.