Perfume, do you wear it.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 AM

I can't wear it. IT chokes me. Rather spend the money on my stash! :thumbup:

No fragrances for me. Had a co worker that wore so much it would cause me to cough, cough, nose run, eyes red, etc. She could walk through a room and it would still smell for a long time....

Too, as Juliebelle says, as I get older, I'm extremely sensitive to all odors. Can't spend much time in the laundry detergent or soap aisle.....I even use non scented deodorant because even a "fresh" scent is offensive to me...
Power Poster

I have become allergic to perfume, cologne and strong hand lotions so do not and have not worn any in about 12 years. Saves money, too! I also avoid people who have it on and will not hug at church if I know you wear!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
I don't wear it and cannot be near anyone who does. I have had to get up and leave restaurants in the middle of a meal when someone wearing perfume/cologne arrives to sit nearby. I have had to come home from chiropractor appointments to take another shower and wash my clothes because they & I reeked of his cologne.
You need to tell the chiropractor you are allergic to his cologne. As a medical practioner he should be sensitive to his patient's needs.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 AM

I have gotten out of the routine of wearing any scents at all. I'm a nurse and we are encouraged not to wear anything at all except out deordorant which, if you get close to someone freshly coming in to work in the morning, you occasionally can smell it. I work nights and in the morning when I get on the elevator, OMG, the smell of perfume in the elevators can knock your socks off at times. Geez, if people would only tone it down. I'm sure these are secretaries or office people but even they need to tone it down. I went to an office visit with my niece last week and as soon as we opened the door you could smell this horrible odor of some sort of cheap musk. My nose started running and my eyes got watery. I had to leave the office.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun
Originally Posted by weezie
I don't wear it and cannot be near anyone who does. I have had to get up and leave restaurants in the middle of a meal when someone wearing perfume/cologne arrives to sit nearby. I have had to come home from chiropractor appointments to take another shower and wash my clothes because they & I reeked of his cologne.
You need to tell the chiropractor you are allergic to his cologne. As a medical practioner he should be sensitive to his patient's needs.
Very true, but several years ago, I finally got smart and went to physical therapy instead (which my medical insurance paid for, unlike the chiropractor visits where I had to pay). Besides the $$$-saving aspect, the physical therapy was what I needed all along, so have had no need for chiropractic visits since.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Our department store perfume counter provided tiny glass viles of perfume to wear for store models. They selected the popular scents, and we learned as much about the perfume as we did the garments and accessories we were wearing. The Body chemistry changes the way perfume smells on different people. The fashion coordinator decided I smelled better with baby power. Yeas ago, perhaps in my 20's, I enjoyed the way English Leather smelled on me. Didn't smell anything like it did in the bottle. I've learned to just avoid soaps, shampoos and add on scents. I too have developed sensitivity to the aromas worn by other people.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 AM

I am very allergic to almost any kind of smell: laundry detergents, dryer sheets, perfume, flowers, lotions, hair spray, etc.
To be caught in an elevator, movie theater, large store, my house (please don't come here wearing ANY smell) will make my face swell and start a migraine!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Never wear it. I'm one of the growing number of people who get sick when even getting a whiff of perfume. So for that reason I avoid the company of people who wear it or refuse not to wear it if they know they will be around me.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sherome
Never wear it. I'm one of the growing number of people who get sick when even getting a whiff of perfume. So for that reason I avoid the company of people who wear it or refuse not to wear it if they know they will be around me.
Amen to that. Even some friends just don't get it. Balsam of Peru is the culprit for me; it's in most things with scents and the perfume industry refuses to not use it even though they could.