Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
question about having company and manners >

question about having company and manners

question about having company and manners

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Dinner guests are not suppose to remove dishes from the table after a meal. I was taught to give the empty cup or glass to the host when visiting with a Thank You and compliment on the beverage. I don't expect family or close friends to use company manners though.

Same here. I taught our children the same. I do have the grand kids wipe off the dining table, sweep the floor under the table and empty the trash. It is just part of showing them that they should do this at home for their Mom without asking.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 07-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Perhaps she leaves it there because she is not sure of your preference at the sink of where you want it.

I remember when ever we had a big family meal at my aunt's house, she would let us help wash dishes and dry but no one was allowed to put anything away but her. I think eventually she would let us put the dishes and silverware away as she told us where she wanted it. Almost never the cooking utensils or pans. She wanted to know where her equipment was. According to her it is no help if she couldn't find what she wanted in her kitchen.

Last edited by starshine; 07-24-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I think this is a really funny thread. For all those people out there that say cleaning up stems from being taught to do it at home so it is a just natural habit, I am curious if you take the dishes to the kitchen after eating in a restaurant? You see, I think I'm confused. My mom taught me to clean up after myself and I also learned at home that when visitors came to call, they did not clean up after themselves. It was as plain as day that visitors were taken care of. What am I missing?
peace
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM

Sounds like you are itching for a fight with your MIL! A glass of water on the table? Seriously? My MIL is such a sweetie, I can't imagine letting such a small thing bother me!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

If I were at a friends house or a relatives, I'd probably take my empty water glass and place it next to the sink. If I felt like a guest, I might leave it on the table. no real problems either way. Sometimes MIL's are a bit uncomfortable, so they just do what they think best.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
.............Sometimes MIL's are a bit uncomfortable, so they just do what they think best.
And I bet this one has that feeling in overdrive!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 PM

You will never pick up the number of glasses that your Mom picked up from you. I do try to always put my glass or cup in the sink at someone else's house. Your Mom probably does not realize she does it. Just pick it up.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mimom View Post
when my MIL comes to visit she always asks for a glass of water. When the visit is over she leaves her glass on the kitchen table where she was sitting, is it rude or an old tradition for the host (me) to remove the glass and put it in the sink?

thanks for any insight you can offer me.

Kim
Sorry to say, but please relax and get a life. I could not care where my guests left their glass, all I care about is the pleasure of having my guests in my home.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sall View Post
Sorry to say, but please relax and get a life. I could not care where my guests left their glass, all I care about is the pleasure of having my guests in my home.
I won't go so far as to say that I don't care - at all - where guests might leave a glass -

Please don't leave them on bare wood - please tell me if you have a spill so I can wipe it up and minimize possible staining - please don't leave them where they might get knocked over - please don't leave them somewhere outside under a tree - -

As far as whether a glass is left on the table or taken to the sink - for me, it really does depend on the circumstances.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 AM

When I first read this I really thought it was a joke. I don't want to seem unfair, but Life is so short. This isn't a trial run, We only are here one time. I try to get every ounce of happiness out of everyday I have here. I have a wonderful X mother in law. We are still best friends. It sounds like there is more to it than a glass of water. Worrying about this will just take away from your happiness. Remember what you send out to the universe is what will come back to you. As Phil says, just be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Sending love your way.