Quirky Habits

Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
lol...I get the thing for bacon. Butter, bacon and chocolate are at the top of the best flavors in the world.
You got to go to a Tea room as a little girl and was all gussied up etc....how charming
I'd have loved to do this with my dd's or now with my dgd.
I have one that is "a little lady" and would get such delight about getting to be all prim and proper.
Me, on the other hand,...I'd have to wing it. I can be such a klutz at times
Oh, you better believe I thought I was mighty grown up when we'd go to the tea room with all the fancy ladies. I got to order a Shirley Temple (remember those?) & I thought I was all that & a bag of chips!

As for bacon & chocolate... you should go to the WI State Fair... they have deep-friend chocolate-covered bacon... for real! Also fried sticks of butter! They make a fried Twinkie look downright healthy!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
The New Orleans, we knew, is long gone. Still I think you can still get beignets, in different sections of the city. There used to even be a mix, so that you could make your own.

Now, should we or should we not talk about the pralines?
My Mother just made hers from scratch (& they were too yummy). And why did you have to go & bring up pralines? OMG! They are so super yummy I can hardly stand it! I wonder if there's a mail order place to get some REAL ones?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Farm Quilter;5439458]I hate other people doing my dishes – they don’t know how to stack it in the dish drainer to maximize the space!

I'm the exact same way. People who just put the dishes in willy nilly drive me crazy! Stacked "properly" you can get a whole scad of dishes in there!

I hate it when my DH cleans out his shaver into the sink and doesn’t clean the sink.

Ditto! I hate the sound of him tapping it on the counter, too... argh!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I HAVE to have my bedroom door closed when I sleep. My grandfather was a fireman and we were taught that a closed door would give you a few precious minutes if you needed to escape a fire, whereas an open door would allow smoke in and you could perish before you ever awoke. Of course, we have smoke alarms now, but I still want an extra minute or two! .
I always heard it was safer, too, because you could feel the door & depending on how warm it was (or wasn't), you'd know how close the fire was. But I'm a big chicken & have to have the door open (plus the dog likes to sleep a bunch of different places in & out of the bedroom & I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night & let him out of the bedroom).
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Beignets AND cookies?!?!? Oh, my! When??? When??? This afternoon? Oh, it's already afternoon, here! May we have our meeting NOW?????
I hope y'all are happy... I'm gaining weight just reading these posts! Now, if she has grits, too, I'm there!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
When I have corn on the cob, the pointy end has to be to the left. If Jim puts it on the plate facing the other way, I am compled to turn it around. And....get this.....I do not know WHY I do this.
I'd never thougt about it before but my corn has to be pointy end to the right. I wonder why that is?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
My Mother just made hers from scratch (& they were too yummy). And why did you have to go & bring up pralines? OMG! They are so super yummy I can hardly stand it! I wonder if there's a mail order place to get some REAL ones?
I used to have a recipe, for creamy pralines (N.O. style). Growing up, we made them pretty often. Hmmmmmm. . . . Wonder where it is . . . .
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I hope y'all are happy... I'm gaining weight just reading these posts! Now, if she has grits, too, I'm there!
Ooooooh! Grits, with that little pool of real butter, sunk into the top.

Roast beef po-boys, dripping with gravy! I was once telling a friend about the delightful mixture of mayo and brown gravy; she couldn't believe people actually ate that . . . until she tried some, for herself.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Seriously,none and even asked my dh.
However, i will only wear natural fiber clothing.
no synthics, they make me sweat
Old 08-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Ooooooh! Grits, with that little pool of real butter, sunk into the top.

Roast beef po-boys, dripping with gravy! I was once telling a friend about the delightful mixture of mayo and brown gravy; she couldn't believe people actually ate that . . . until she tried some, for herself.
My DH (whose Mother was from Naw Linz) likes his grits with butter. I like mine with about a cup of brown sugar stirred into them... or cream gravy. Yum!

C'mon... mayo & gravy? Heck yeah! I also like mayo on my french fries. Super yum!