Quirky Habits

Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
After I use a washcloth, I must thoroughly rinse it, then wring it out until it's practically dry, before hanging it over the side of the tub (to dry until I gather laundry). It drives me crazy, to pick up a washcloth, that someone has wadded up, soaking wet, and left in the corner of the tub!
You & me both! DH washed some dishes today & when I went in the kitchen, what was wadded up, soaking wet in the sink? The dishrag! I had to rinse it (for like 4785 hours) & wring it (I pretended it was his neck) & then hang it on the towel rack in the bathroom. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
You forgot to add the way the gave away slightly as you first bit into them... oh my...
Ooooooh, yes! Also forgot to add that they were usually still warm-hot, when served! Soooooooo goooooood!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Of all the places she'd gone to the world over, NO was my Mother's favorite place on earth... hands down! Her & my Dad took the train down every spring & spent a week. Her first stop? Someplace to get beignets (which she learned to make & would make for me... yum!)! Her second stop? To hear Al Hirt! Me? I'd have found a crawfish boil!!!

And yes, the little crocks were white ceramic or porcelain or something. And were ice cold.

I remember dressing up (& my mom having on gloves & a hat even!) to go shopping. Then we'd go have lunch at the Tea Room & I felt soooooo grown up!!!
Strange as it probably sounds, I can't stand even the thought of crawfish! BLAH! Probably because I watched my dad and uncles eat them, when I was a child. Will spare others the details . . . but I'm sure you know to what I'm referring. Just totally grossed me out.

My aunt used to work at McCrory's (on Canal) and was in charge of making the candied apples. She'd always set aside a few of the best ones, for us. She had her own "secret" recipe, for the red candy on them. Refused to share it with any of the other workers, so she was THE candied apple person.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
After I use a washcloth, I must thoroughly rinse it, then wring it out until it's practically dry, before hanging it over the side of the tub (to dry until I gather laundry). It drives me crazy, to pick up a washcloth, that someone has wadded up, soaking wet, and left in the corner of the tub!
I'm right there with ya, sister!
I've never had this problem bc dh was trained very well in the navy about all kinds of things, but I had to teach our kids to wring out the dishcloth and drape it to dry.
Nothing worse than a sour dishcloth and I see them wadded up on ppl's sinks and just cringe
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

The YUM for me is bacon. I have a theory... ANYTHING is better with either bacon or a slide guitar... ANYTHING...
lol...I get the thing for bacon. Butter, bacon and chocolate are at the top of the best flavors in the world.
You got to go to a Tea room as a little girl and was all gussied up etc....how charming
I'd have loved to do this with my dd's or now with my dgd.
I have one that is "a little lady" and would get such delight about getting to be all prim and proper.
Me, on the other hand,...I'd have to wing it. I can be such a klutz at times
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

You forgot to add the way the gave away slightly as you first bit into them... oh my...
dang! you guys have experienced things I've only dreamed about.
Even my daughter knew what a beignet was!
Where have I been?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Oh, my goodness, the way this thread has evolved is fascinating! Now I'd better see if I can get a discount flight to New Orleans! Does it ruin the 'puter if you drool on the keys?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm thinking I need to make a trip to New Orleans too. I've never been there but have always wanted to go.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM

The New Orleans, we knew, is long gone. Still I think you can still get beignets, in different sections of the city. There used to even be a mix, so that you could make your own.

Now, should we or should we not talk about the pralines?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM

I hang my laundry on the line (it is like an upside down umbrella) with the underwear on the inside and hidden from anyone driving by with other clothing. I fold or hang everything as I take it off the line and DH’s stuff on one side, mine on the other. I have a dishwasher that I haven’t used in the 7 years I’ve lived here and I hate other people doing my dishes – they don’t know how to stack it in the dish drainer to maximize the space! I have to make my bed as soon as I get up. If I, by some weird chance, get up and leave before my DH gets up (and he usually doesn’t make the bed), I have to make the bed before I get in it at night. I hate it when my DH cleans out his shaver into the sink and doesn’t clean the sink. I cannot sleep if the closet door is open. I can’t go to sleep without the television on. I don’t like my bedroom door closed when I go to sleep. TP comes off the bottom…otherwise the cat gets all the TP. My DD can’t be bothered to put the roll back on the spindle, just puts it on the counter – drives me nuts and I always put it back on the spindle for her! I count steps…not just stairs, but steps from point A to point B…no clue why! I cannot have my cupboard doors open and I will close other peoples! My mom would always leave cupboard doors open and I always managed to hit my head – safety issue!!! My DH drinks coffee and I prefer tea…and I refuse to use a cup that has had coffee in it because I can still taste the coffee…blech! I absolutely hate whistling – it is always slightly off-pitch and is like fingernails on the blackboard to me. AARRRGGGGGHHH! I let DH hear 3 seconds of Private Eyes and he could tell me who sang it and the name of the song…that’s weird!! Oh, I have the mix for beignets in the freezer!!!

What is really weird is that I had to create this "list" as a word document as I read all 43 pages of posts! Y'all kept reminding of the weird...er, um, quirky habits I have!