Scared and DH is at work.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 AM

Oh Sherri. I can imagine how you felt, hope you all got through the night okay. I have always been terrified spending the night alone, and while I have neighbors close-by, there were no men around to call. Once when my husband was gone on a trip, there wes a car stopped in front of my house about 11:00 PM, and the man just sat there. I did call the police, but 30 minutes later they still had not shown up. My hubby arrived home about midnight and when his taxie pulled up, the man drove away. After that, hubby bought a gun. I am scared of guns too, but I figure if it is me or them, I'll shoot.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 AM

Call the police. They maybe already in your neighbor doing drive bys. Police are doing their job if you help by letting them know they are needed.
Put aecurity chain locks on your dorrs then door cant not opened all the way.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
DD called her BF and he is going to come stay with us tonight. I am so chilled to the bone. We have a nice neighborhood but you just never know. Most everyone around here knows DH works nights and I also work nights.

I want to call the police but I feel guilty bothering them. I know they are they to help us when we need them and I don't want to take them away from someone who has a true emergency.

I know I will feel better having Evan here. He is a volunteer jr. fire fighter.
Speaking as the wife of a former police officer, the police would rather you call them than not. If there is someone out there they can find them or scare them off. They would rather check it out than maybe have to come back later to a crime scene.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM

any news this morning is SherriB got any sleep last night???
Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Please, post and tell us how things turned out! Stay safe. I had the same thing happen to me.... but the kid ran off when he saw me look into the kitchen and at the door.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am so nervous and scared. I was in the living room and DGD just came to me and said someone knocked on the back door, mamaw. Come let them in. :shock: :shock: :!: :!: No one ever knocks on that door. DH is at work and it is just me and th kids. I feel so sick at my stomach. I don't think I will sleep tonight. All doors/windows are locked, checked and double check and alarm is on. Outside lights are on and hopefully will stay on. Ugh!! I am so cold even though the house is warm. I will be so glad for this night to end. I hate being scared!! :!:
Today a friend sent me a suggestion sheet for intruders and one great thing,other than Panic button is have a can of Wasp or hornet spray. It hits from a longer distance and they WILL have to go the hospital to get the antidote. Have one by door and especially by your bed. Mace isn't as effective if the person is a ways away. I would have been a nervous mess.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM

SherriB, this is like an old time serial movie. Is't that what they were called? I so hope the police helped calm your nerves. Being frightened is a horrible thing.
Be sure to pick up a can of wasp spray and get an alarm for your keychain if you don't already have one. I don't have one but I have it on my list to buy on my next shopping trip.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Your event last night upset me so I couldn't even spell a simple word like "Isn't" correctly.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Oh Sherri. I can imagine how you felt, hope you all got through the night okay. I have always been terrified spending the night alone, and while I have neighbors close-by, there were no men around to call. Once when my husband was gone on a trip, there wes a car stopped in front of my house about 11:00 PM, and the man just sat there. I did call the police, but 30 minutes later they still had not shown up. My hubby arrived home about midnight and when his taxie pulled up, the man drove away. After that, hubby bought a gun. I am scared of guns too, but I figure if it is me or them, I'll shoot.
I hope you took a class in how to handle the gun.

Sherri, is everything okay this morning? I can empathize. My DH is sometimes gone for a week at a time. Not my favorite time. My dog helps keep me calm, and seems to help scare off strangers.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM

I'd say the wasp spray is a great idea. Something you should know is that not all people are senstitive to mace or pepper spray. If they are a former convict they have likely built up a lack of sensitivity to it, having been sprayed frequently in their lifetimes. These people are not affected by it therefore it is useless to use.

Be safe!