Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Purplemem: So glad you don't have congestive heart failure. I am sorry though about the pulmonary hypertension. What exactly does this mean and what do you need to do about it. Just curious--only share if you want to.

Question for those on weight watchers. Over 20 years ago when I was on WW they had a recipe for pancakes made out of cottage cheese. Does anyone have that recipe they could share. If I remember, it was really good.

Thanks

Karen
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Karen,
Thanks for asking.
Pulmonary hypertension is actually worse than CHF, it is a primary cause of CHF and it literally takes your breath away.

My doc was in tears when she told me. Sent me to cardiologist and said do NOTHING until I see one. No walking to mailbox, no sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. My appt is on Oct 17.

Prognosis? 3-5 yrs if goes well.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Doctor report: I do NOT have congestive heart failure.

I have pulmonary hypertension. It has the same symptoms but a different prognosis.

My heart is doing good.
Oh MJ That is awesome!!! I am so glad your ticker is doing great!! I have faith that one day your lungs will be doing well too!

Missy
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Karen,
Thanks for asking.
Pulmonary hypertension is actually worse than CHF, it is a primary cause of CHF and it literally takes your breath away.

My doc was in tears when she told me. Sent me to cardiologist and said do NOTHING until I see one. No walking to mailbox, no sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. My appt is on Oct 17.

Oh my gosh I had no idea. I will keep you in my prayers every day like you have been for a long time. I hope that the miracle I am praying you receive comes soon. BIG HUGS!!

Missy
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Karen,
Thanks for asking.

i am so sorry to hear this. my mother passed away from the same disease.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Good morning, all. In my opinion and experience with my family's blood sugar problems, protein is the key. Protein with every meal is what stabilized their blood sugar, then they could play with skipping it and eating like the rest of the world when they were doing better. Jeanne, I sent you a PM. There's protein at every meal and no fruit or starchy veggies when I'm serious about my diet for weight loss or blood sugar. This time it's just weight loss - my blood sugar has been perfect for years, which is nice because for years, it wasn't.

For most people, a 40-30-30 diet works for weight loss if the calories are controlled. 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. That's high in carbs for me.

It's great seeing so many signing up. I hope we have all our regulars. It seems to me a few are missing.

cottontop, does your doctor have a food plan that allows 110%? Sorry, I taught remedial reading and math for 25 years.

Have a clean eating day. I am getting healthier and losing weight.

Why do I feel like today is a new start - I know every day is, but for some reason Sept 1st feels special. Is it because our heat has broken and I have a tiny bit more energy? That being said, we are starting a mini heat wave. It will be the last of the 90s for us. I don't know why I feel this way, but I like it.
Judy
sorry... that was a typo... should have been 25
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi Karen, I am new to the weight loss adventure, but I want to know that I will be praying for you. Remember God has a plan for you Jeremiah 29:11. May God wrap you in HIS quilt of love and comfort you :(
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Karen,
Thanks for asking.

I'm sorry you had to get news like that, and I hope your appointment goes well. I just wanted to say I'll pray for you, for skilled doctors, and for healing.

Today I'm working on making sure I'm drinking more water. I cut regular sodas a few weeks ago to diet ones, but my water intake has been lacking. Just cutting my sodas down made me lose 2 pounds last month. LOL

We are going out to dinner tonight for a relative's birthday and I have to find something decent to eat there too. My starting weight is 207, it's been 5 years since I've been below 200 so that's my goal.

I hope everyone's day is going well and that you join me in drinking plenty of water. :-)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Remember to drink your water! It is a key element in weight loss.

Write down every time you drink...add it up. You need approximately 64 ounces each day...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

I know this is way too long but I hope you'll all forgive me. My brother begged me to try and lose weight, he was very worried about my health and the fact that I could have a stroke or heart attack. He told me that I had lost a lot of weight before and I could do it again. I had been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was feeling hopeless because from what I understood there was no cure. I could barely get a half hours worth of housework done each day and I had IBS so it was touch and go if I could even leave the house to go to the grocery store. I realized there wasn't much I could do for my health except to eat healthier and lose weight.

I started one month ago and lost 14 pounds so far, I would have been happy with eight pounds but it's a good start. I love my little food journal it's called the Calorie King Food and excercise journal. I'm not in the least concerned about exercise now and when I've lost 30 pounds altogether I'll do some chair dancing. Anyway about my little calorie journal, I decided to keep track of other things besides my food. I knew that I needed to get out in the sun and get some natural Vitamin D and I also knew I needed to start taking calcium ( I love the little chews, they're a nice treat.) So I tracked those things along with the food I ate and my blood glucose readings. After about ten days I started feeling great, I had more energy and I felt as though I had massive reserves of seratonin. Not only that but as part of my diet I ate two bananas a day because I was having leg cramps and figured I was low on potassium. The leg cramps were gone and the IBS was gone as well as the heart burn that I frequently had. The first 3 weeks I didn't take any vitamins at all but started taking them on Monday. I also wanted to mention that my daily calorie average runs from 2100 to 2300 calories. I try to make the calories count but I've also allowed myself treats without a moment of guilt. I have a box of Walmart brand twinkies which are 140 calories. No I don't have them everyday but they are there if I want one. I also have licorice twists which are 35 calories each. The only diet specialty item I buy is Silk Almond milk unsweetened, I would never drink it as a beverage but it's great with cereal and only 35 calories a cup. I cook with olive oil and use butter and mayo sparingly but they're real, I couldn't stand the taste of the diet stuff.

Diets should not be punishments, they should be enjoyable so that we'll want to stick with them. We're all pretty creative people here or we wouldn't be quilters so it should be fun to create some good meals within our calorie range.