Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
elm

Irish Rose
I'm glad to hear that there is someone else who has to be very careful of starchy carbs in order to lose weight. My wasy of dealing with it is to allow myself good bread only a couple of days a week. Other than that the carbs come from fruits, vegies and things like brown rice. I use Wasa products instead of bread, but also limit those.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Radiana
I know this is way too long but I hope you'll all forgive me. My brother begged me to try and lose weight, he was very worried about my health and the fact that I could have a stroke or heart attack. He told me that I had lost a lot of weight before and I could do it again. I had been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was feeling hopeless because from what I understood there was no cure. I could barely get a half hours worth of housework done each day and I had IBS so it was touch and go if I could even leave the house to go to the grocery store. I realized there wasn't much I could do for my health except to eat healthier and lose weight.

I started one month ago and lost 14 pounds so far, I would have been happy with eight pounds but it's a good start. I love my little food journal it's called the Calorie King Food and excercise journal. I'm not in the least concerned about exercise now and when I've lost 30 pounds altogether I'll do some chair dancing. Anyway about my little calorie journal, I decided to keep track of other things besides my food. I knew that I needed to get out in the sun and get some natural Vitamin D and I also knew I needed to start taking calcium ( I love the little chews, they're a nice treat.) So I tracked those things along with the food I ate and my blood glucose readings. After about ten days I started feeling great, I had more energy and I felt as though I had massive reserves of seratonin. Not only that but as part of my diet I ate two bananas a day because I was having leg cramps and figured I was low on potassium. The leg cramps were gone and the IBS was gone as well as the heart burn that I frequently had. The first 3 weeks I didn't take any vitamins at all but started taking them on Monday. I also wanted to mention that my daily calorie average runs from 2100 to 2300 calories. I try to make the calories count but I've also allowed myself treats without a moment of guilt. I have a box of Walmart brand twinkies which are 140 calories. No I don't have them everyday but they are there if I want one. I also have licorice twists which are 35 calories each. The only diet specialty item I buy is Silk Almond milk unsweetened, I would never drink it as a beverage but it's great with cereal and only 35 calories a cup. I cook with olive oil and use butter and mayo sparingly but they're real, I couldn't stand the taste of the diet stuff.

Diets should not be punishments, they should be enjoyable so that we'll want to stick with them. We're all pretty creative people here or we wouldn't be quilters so it should be fun to create some good meals within our calorie range.
You have come to the right place for encouragement. I have used Calorie King in the past and they have a very good food and exercise journal, also.

And you are so right when you said "diets should not be punishment". If you Eat in moderation and watch your portions you can eat pretty much what you want. Just be sure to add those little extras into you daily calorie count.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you are suppose to do and when you feel like exercsing, I think you'll find you will feel better.

Take care.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM

mj-- i'm devastated! i am praying that the dr unwittingly left a 0 off the end, 30-50. of course, none of us know how much time we have and should live our best lives always and every day as the best day ever. we never know. i wish you the best and know you will work this out for yourself. peace and love, my dear friend.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
mj-- i'm devastated! i am praying that the dr unwittingly left a 0 off the end, 30-50. of course, none of us know how much time we have and should live our best lives always and every day as the best day ever. we never know. i wish you the best and know you will work this out for yourself. peace and love, my dear friend.
Nancia,
Thank you. I'm a little "down" myself from sticker shock. I know every breath is a gift from God, I guess I needed the reminder.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cookie64
Hi all, I lost 9 Lbs. in August but couldn't find it to post it. I don't know why I don't get the post on this. I get all the other post.

Cookie
DId you send Purplemem a PM with your weight loss for August?

Congrats on your loss.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's health problems. You guys are an insperation. I am for the most part healthy. I gained weight when I quit that nasty smoking habit. Best wishes to all and good luck and get healthy.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM

I am in again this month, but this month I am really going to try. Last month I actually gained. I went to the dr. for my annual physical and there is a problem with protein/kidneys. Not sure if it is due from my diabetes or my meds for gout. Anyway I need to smarten up. So here I go again.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM

I need to be a part of this also
Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

I'm back from the doctor. My blood pressure is very low so I probably should give up my blood pressure meds, but the same med has an ingredient to suppress my heart arrhythmias, so I can't give it up. I need to see my internist, but I hate changing meds.

MJ, I am so sorry that you have received such a serious diagnosis. Prove them wrong, my friend.

I was born with a defective heart and have had four major heart attacks - the first when I was 5 years old. I also have congestive heart failure, MVP, stenosis of the aorta, another syndrome and arrhythmias - as high as 240 beats a minute, but it all pales in the face of anything to do with lungs. I, too, will pray for you.

It's very warm outside and I have Dairy Queen coupons in my purse. You'll be proud of me. I resisted for today. "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels" got me past DQs here and in a neighboring town. That and knowing I lost a pound yesterday.

Looking on the Internet yesterday, I came upon a Gary Null video. He said any change you do for your health is a two step process. 1) Step away from what you have been doing and, 2) Step toward what you need to do. Okay, makes sense to me.

It's time to put my goal on the calendar. 3 pounds - the one leftover from my gain last month and 2 new ones. Note to self: Eat healthy and keep moving.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Irish,
I like that:

Step away from unhealthy choices, Step toward a better life.

May be my new mantra.
MJ