Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!! >

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM

I have found that when I am really, really craving something I might as well eat it. I will just eat tons more calories trying to replace the craving for a bad food. If I "NEED" chocolate I have a small piece. I consume far less calories than if I didn't eat the chocolate. The less I eat the less I need. Carbs are my major downfall. I love pretzels. Can't have them in the house. I bought a big container of pretzels and took them to school. I put them in the cabinet for snacks for the kids. When we serve them to the kids I eat a few. If they were here they would have been gone weeks ago. So far it is working.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:06 PM

I also have learned that I might a well eat whatever I am craving. I can eat a ton of calories trying to quench the craving with other things.
I am back in Texas, supposedly getting ready to move. I found 2 boxes and filled those. We have 2 men and a truck coming in the morning to pack and then load the rental truck. Fun times.
Time to head to the airport to pick up hubby.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Irish - I like your way of thinking. And I think that way as well. I watch what I eat, portion control, all that stuff. But if I want something I might as well have a little bit of it or I'll go nuts substituting. I visited a friend a couple months ago and she had this container of candy. It was dark chocolate (really dark) with almonds and cherries. It was wonderful. She came to visit a couple weekends ago and brought me a container. I hid it, in my sewing room. But I know where it is. It is my "go to" snack. That little something that takes the edge off. But, I don't live in it. The container is still almost full. Just every once-in-a-while I need a little something, and that's it!! Then I'm good. Actually, I'm good for a few days or so, which is great!!

Looking into a doc now that can take out my gallbladder. Should have had it out about 4 yrs ago but couldn't due to medicines and things. Now it's starting to annoy (not really hurting so much) me. Think it's time before things get worse.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Get your gall bladder out before it becomes an emergency. I had a bunch of trouble with mine during my 4th pregnancy, I was in and out of the hospital several times during the pregnancy. It was a lot better afterwards so I left it alone. I was ok as long as I behaved myself. 4 years later it was bothering me any time I ate anything so I decided to take care of it. The doctor said I was really close to it being emergency surgery. Just don't delay too long. The surgery wasn't too bad.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM

i hear all you sane normal people. i just don't buy it. that's the only way i can leave choc, ice cream alone. i'm allergic to eggs, so that helps limit my baked goods. if i buy a box of sugar free ice cream bars, i eat the whole box at once. if i buy a 4 pack of yogurt, i eat 4 the lst day. so i buy one of anything, if possible. or, just go out for it, when i decide i can have something. learned to make choc cake in a mug, so that's a treat occ. and sugar free hard candy i keep on hand. for some reason i can leave that alone, till the craving hits. don't seem to o.d. on that. see you at wt in sunday morn? good luck to all. i'm doing good so far. happy about the success so far.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM

We surely are all different. I can eat a carton of ice cream in one sitting, though I make myself eat only 1/3 each day for three days, but if I buy single serve ice cream bars, I eat only one. One yogurt a day, too, thought the one I had this morning bears repeating. Yoplait's new Simple blackberry. Dannon's Oikos Greek yogurt is good, too. BTW, the reason a person eats the whole box of sugar free anything is because his/her body doesn't recognize the chemicals as food and is looking for real food, sugar included. Same with fat-free. We need some fat. My youngest daughter was allergic to eggs when she was little, but outgrew it though I don't think she gets a flu shot. I'm getting mine sometime after the first of the month.

I earned last week's gold star - no artificail sweeteners here, I will earn the second part of this week's I'm not a salter and because I'm not eating snacks until my weight is down, I won't get any there, but the first part - no negative thoughts - YIKES! I will have to work on that one. I think I'm okay so far.

There's a yard sale today and tomorrow with three 'antique' sewing machines. Luckily, I won't have time to go. I don't need any more vintage machines. I gave away my antique one - the only one over 100 years old. The next oldest I have is from 1918, so she's not an antique yet.

Speaking of chocolate, has anyone tried Diamond Natural dark chocolate almonds. They aren't candy coated - just dusted with chocolate and stevia (a good low calorie sweetener). The are quite good.

I am off to put groceries away. I just checked in here to see how everyone is doing. It's been a long day and I needed a break.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Ooh, talk about a long day. I have been packing all day. Well, now I am cleaning. Hubby vacuumed the carpets and declared himself exhausted and he sat down to watch tv. That leaves me cleaning out all the cabinets (scary how dusty some of them were!) cleaning 3 bathrooms, cleaning the kitchens and cleaning all the hard floors. I say no fair! I'm tired too. I still don't know if we will get everything in the truck and car. Seems to me there is an awful lot of stuff left and not much space for it. I tried to talk him into a bigger truck but it cost twice as much as the one we got. We gave away some stuff: a kingsize mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a weight bench, a push lawn mower and a box of encyclopedias. The 6 yr old neighbor was so excited about the encyclopedias. The weight bench took about 5 minutes sitting out on the sidewalk with a free sign before someone came and got it. The mower only took 2. The first car that came by took it. She was tickled. Ok, that's enough of a break. There is a toilet and bathroom floor waiting for me upstairs. Then I get to start on the downstairs. Plus I get the joy of sleeping on an air bed. Calgon, take me away!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 AM

Okay Judy now you really have to tell us the pea soup story, inquiring minds want to know!

If I am really craving something the two things I try are: first I tell myself I am allowed to have whatever, but I will do something else first. Sometimes that delaying tactic will do the trick. If I still find myself craving whatever 20 minutes or so later, I will allow myself I small portion of it. Very few foods are so unhealthy that they cannot be eaten, it is all in the portion and frequency. Whenever I make a statement like "I am giving up . . . it is all I can think about. All things in moderation is more successful for me.

Pam I don't envy you the moving, boy do I hate that. It does make you do a really deep cleaning though someone else gets to enjoy it!

I have been watching my salt intake, but I know I could do better. I will work on that this week. Working on positive thinking. Why is it negative thinking comes naturally, but we have to work at thinking positively?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 AM

when i am craving ice cream, or choc, i tell myself that i can have it. 'just not right now. later, tomorrow, or the next day or sunday.' that gets me thru most times.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Oh Irish I have a jar of those dark chocolate almonds in my car. I love them. That is my snack on the way home from work. I have those and some cinnamon almonds just like them, I don't know the brand name of the cinnamon almonds but they are delicious too. I have found if I eat a snack on the way home I'm not famished when I get home. I eat about 15 almonds. THey seem to mostly satisfy my sweet tooth and my need for crunchy food. MMMMMM!
I am not doing very well on the negative thoughts. I hate, hate my job right now. I told my DH that I will not make it thru the school year. I should not leave work every day near tears. I would quit now but we need the health insurance. I try to work thru my thoughts on the way home and leave it in the car. Not working very well. I am looking for a new job. MY search isn't going very well. There isn't much available. I don't care too much what it is but I need good insurance. I will continue to look and try to keep my mouth shut at work so I don't get into trouble. I was so upset yesterday I couldn't eat my lunch and I am a stress eater.
Weigh in is Sunday. Good luck everyone.