Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Somebody and I don't know--my story--share yours! >

Somebody and I don't know--my story--share yours!

Somebody and I don't know--my story--share yours!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

"Somebody" (one of the grands?), but "I don't know" didn't shut the upright freezer door in the basement utility room. Last night, I went to get some fresh garden lettuce out of the refrigerator there and saw a stream of water running down the drain from the freezer. Some of the meat was still slightly frozen and put in the smaller freezer--the 30 pounds of canning meat, all the soup bones, boiling beef, venison, 2 rolled rump roasts, a pork loin, 2 chickens, and 2 bone in breasts were thawed, but still cold. All the vegetables and applesauce are going to be tossed.
Today I cooked the roasts and chicken in the oven(shared with other family members) and currently am canning meat. On my second canner (it takes 90 minutes to pressure can meat in quarts), and have a third one of pints in waiting. Then have the broth to process from the soup bones. Gonna be a long night--guess I have an excuse to be on the board for an extended period of time tonight!
Tomorrow I clean the freezer and then show the grands (ages 4 to 9) how to make sure the door is shut! Lucky for them they had finished off the fudge bars!

So much for finishing the doll quilt for the June swap these past 2 days.

So what's your story?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Oh wow what a mess huh? I had that happen too when my GD was small. She got a popsicle out & never shut the freezer. I found it the next day & everything was thawed out. Not to mention the water all over. I was told by our butcher shop that you can refreeze the meat but the quality of the meat wouldn't be as good. I just didn't want to try it so ended up throwing everything away. She was only about 5 but she felt so bad when I told her. She always checked the door after that though so guess it was a good lesson. Expensive one though! LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

DH took the little screen out of the water supply for the washing machine once. (He was tired of having to clean it out all the time.) One tiny little rock made its way to the full indicator and the water just kept running.......until it covered the entire first floor. And THAT is how I ended up with hardwood flooring.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 AM

Torrential rains last Aug. Basement had just had new drywalls and new carpeting installed the year before. We need a sump pump, had had a problem many years beforee, so we also had a battery back-up pump installed so if the power went off again, things were okay. NOT! The main pump failed, power didn't go off so backup didn"T go on, results 4 inches of water covered the entire basement floor. Insurance covered most of the loss, but somethings even insurance can't replace. I had two handpieced quilts in a metal trunk , they were made by my grandmother and weren?t in great shape but I was going to use them to make smaller items. The clean up people carrierd the trunk outside and when it was opened, everything in it was covered in terrible black mold, looked like a fire had burned it. I was so upset about ther flooding, I didn'T even think about what was in that trunk, so it got pitched. Only later did I realixze. Also, my featherweight was sitting in it's case on the floor, yep, water in that also. No damage to the machine, but the case now is nice and moldy smelling, before it wasn't like that . Still trying to figure out how to make it smell okay again. Had many books and old record albums, old 78 records that were colletor items , all ruinned. My advice, if you use the basement for anything, store in plastic tubs and make sure they don't have any small cracks in them, and keep everything up high on shelves!! Don"t have anything sitting right on the floor if it is important to keep!!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

One of our kids left the freezer door open one time too, and what a mess! We had to throw ALOT of venison away!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 AM

That actually happened to me about a month ago and living in this heat made it even worse.We had a storm and when it rains,the outlet in the garage stops working for some reason,so we ran an extension cord to another outlet and the cord got stuck in the door without me knowing it and it stayed like that for 2 days!! I lost it all!! Terrible lesson learned and an expensive one too.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

oh!!!! Now I know why they have locks on them!!!! :lol:
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

What horrible things to have happen. You know these things never happen when the freezer is empty. I would never refreeze meat until after cooking it.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 AM

My 62 year old "toddler" left the freezer door open (by mistake). He also likes to leave cupboard doors open, drawers, etc. What is that?! :-)

The latest mishap was the washing machine (front loader). While emptying out a load of light colored clothes, I noticed a brown line of something on a pair of pants. Fortunately, I found it before they went in the dryer! So, I started checking for the source. Sure enough, when I peeled back the big seal, down inside I found several coins, a couple of washers, and aobut a dozen rusty one inch SCREWS! "Gee, I don't remember putting screws in any of my pockets!" No, they must have walked in there by themselves. :-)

After removing the "items," I decided to run the clean cycle that most of these front loaders have. What's the old saying....??... if it works, don't fix it?! Sure enough, ended up with an error code indicating a pump problem. So, last night, instead of working on his '62 T-bird, he had to take the pump, filter, and such apart. He said he didn't see anything clogging the pump or filter but, when he first drained the water, he did hear a PLUNK in the metal catch pan before the shop vac sucked it up. Geeeee, wonder what that might have been?!

Long story short, the washing machine is working once again. It's been a blessing that he does his own wash but, like most things, there can be a downside. Thankfully, he's very handy and nothing bad happended like having to replace the pump. Whew! Gotta love them.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Years ago, back in my wild and wooly days, a friend's freezer quit on him. We called in all our friends and had a major party---turtle, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, catfish, mountain oysters, deer, etc.--the party lasted two days then the food and drink ran out.