stuffing or dressing?????

Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Dressing in a casserole dish. Homemade family secret recipe from my mother who got it from her mother who got it from her mother, etc, etc, etc. I have no idea how far back it goes and it's delicious! DMIL just called today to see if I would make it for Thanksgiving. She said I've spoiled everyone now!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Even though we call it "dressing", it is stuffed into the cavity of the turkey. Very simple -- bread crumbs, finely chopped onion, melted butter, salt, pepper, and savoury. It gives the turkey a wonderful taste. I can't eat dressing, however - it gives me terrible heartburn. :(
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I never put stuffing in the turkey. I cook my turkey in an electric roaster so I put the dressing in a casserole dish and bake it separate.

My dressing is pretty simple though, I use a bag of Pepperidge Farms, some garlic and butter salad croutons, finely diced onion and celery, a stick of butter, the turkey neck and heart cooked and minced, 4 eggs, and enough chicken broth to make it moist. I saute the onion and celery in the stick of butter until the onion and celery are well cooked.
I like your idea for adding some salad croutons! I'm going to add some to my dressing that I make with a base of dried white and wheat bread bread. I then add the standard (to us) onion, celery, butter, sage, moisten with chicken broth. Baked as a side dish, not in turkey, like it crusty. My DH does not like any deviation from what we've has for the last 45 years, nor do the kids!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Always dressing with cornbread, onions, celery, boiled eggs and chicken broth, sage, salt and pepper. We like it brown on top.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM

casserole dish -- I'm not brave enough to stuff the turkey. Besides, turkey takes too long to roast when stuffed.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Both. My side of the family, my boys and I all like the stuffing inside the bird (moist and yummy). MIL always made dressing in a casserole dish (dry and icky) so that is the only way DH likes it. He won't even let me cover it with foil because he wants it crunchy on top.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM

My funny story. When I first started making "dressing" I did it from scratch, dried the bread, chopped the onions, etc., stuffed the cavity. Then I started using Pepperidge Farm. Then, I tried Stove Top pork, chickena and turkey and served it in a casserole. A few years ago, daughter asked me to make my "old fashion dressing for Thanksgiving, she loves dressing. Well, I just used the PF again, and put it in the turkey, and she was thrilled. To her, "old Fashion meant the PF!! Then there was the time I forgot to set it out on the table and no one even askedddd! The the last time, no matter how much broth I kept adding, the darn bread crumbs stayed dry, and it baked up even worse! Last year we went to sons house and his wife made it from scratch from her mom's receipe, and we are doing the dsame this year. I bring the pecan pies and sweet potatoe csserole, and oyster cass. At least those I don't mess up.LOL
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM

We call it "filling" which it is!! Stuffing is in the bird, filling is baked or fried. I melt a stick of butter, put the chopped onions and celery in the butter and cook them till clear. I use milk and eggs in my filling and put the eggs & milk with the salt and pepper in the blender and give a spin till the onions can't found. Then I pour most of the butter in the running blender and give it another spin or two. Then pour all that over the bread cubes, give it a good coating toss, and fry it up in the butter. My son doesn't like onions, so if he can't see them, he'll eat it.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:48 PM

It's dressing down here in the south. With lots of giblet gravy! yummy
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I stuff and then make extra in a casserole dish...
I like to have a lot of leftovers after everyone went home :wink: :D:D:D
Ditto....we put it in the bird, then put the rest in a casserole....and hope for leftovers!