Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have? >

Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have?

Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

we will be having all the traditional things, but the best thing, is ALL 10 of our grandchildren will be here (it will be the first time we've had all 10 at once) and 4 out of 5 of our kids will be here (the one in Nevada is coming for Christmas)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Gotta have stuffing and lots of it and if there's not deviled eggs on the table or in the house someone's gonna hear about it until next Thanksgiving
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Rutabaga, prepared like most would turnip.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I Know, I Know I am going to take a ribbing on this, but it is not Thanksgiving without Turnips. I could eat my weight in them, but also add in turkey and Mom's Dressing!
Turnips were my grandmother's favorite too! But no one else
would eat them so she ate the leftovers all week!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 PM

We have all of the usuals- turkey, stuffing, corn bread sausage stuffing, broccoli casserole, corn, rolls, gravy, pumpkin & pecan pies. The one thing that makes it Thanksgiving for my husband & me is Scalloped Oysters. My husbands Grandma made them every year. Not long after she died his parents were spending the holiday with us & I surprised my MIL by finding a recipe for them like Grandma's & making them. She was thrilled & we have them every year now.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

We're in the South and it's all about the sides! We have mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, collard greens (no one else has mentioned this! Did you other southerners forget?), mac and cheese (I wasn't raised that way but the others like it), tomato and okra, green beans, fruit salad, jellied cranberries (yep,right out of the can with the indents), corn pudding. We also make stuffing in the bird - sausage and apple.

I miss jello salads and wish someone else in my family would eat them.

Turkey and ham. Apple pie and pumpkin pie. If our friend Jim comes, we substitute out the pumpkin pie for his family's squash pie.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
We're in the South and it's all about the sides! We have mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, collard greens (no one else has mentioned this! Did you other southerners forget?), mac and cheese (I wasn't raised that way but the others like it), tomato and okra, green beans, fruit salad, jellied cranberries (yep,right out of the can with the indents), corn pudding. We also make stuffing in the bird - sausage and apple.

I miss jello salads and wish someone else in my family would eat them.

Turkey and ham. Apple pie and pumpkin pie. If our friend Jim comes, we substitute out the pumpkin pie for his family's squash pie.
I know what you mean about the jello salads. My grandmother used to make one called Yum Yum salad that was really, really good. I took it to a family reunion once and I don't think very many people ate it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Some years we have been many, some years just us 2 but there is always turkey. Usually a whole large one even if we are alone as we like leftovers, turkey pot pie, turkey tortilla soup, sammies. Some years it was only a breast like in 2003 in our RV in Texarkana at the KOA.

Some years vey traditional, some years very gourmet.

This year will be 3 of us with the favorite Bon Appetit 1994(?) cover recipe: Herb Rubbed Turkey. Keeping sides limited a bit: roasted carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnip dish from Southern Living and something green, probably green beans almondine. And homemade rolls always - I have even made them in the RV.

We'll start with Spanakopita and end with Pumpkin Cheesecake. Both purchased! which leaves more time for quilting!

Saturday we will have leftover turkey and I'll make mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and dressing. So we will have a traditional plate as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Kas

I have to make my grandmother's recipe for cornbread (cooked in her old cast-iron skillet) and my great-aunt's corn casserole.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
All I need on my plate at Thanksgiving is bread stuffing from inside the bird, homemade turkey gravy, canned jellied cranberry sauce (I've tried ALL the others - made with orange, apple, pineapple, nuts, whatever - keep coming back to good old Ocean Spray), and creamed onions (the little tiny white ones). GOTTA HAVE the creamed onions. Even if I'm alone, I'll make creamed onions on Thanksgiving. If I go to someone's house, I'll make-and-take the onions - don't even care if no one else likes them.
I'm with you. Gotta have the creamed onions. I'm in charge of them every year. Yum, Yum. Only time of the year I make them. I also like my Mom's homemade cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries, oranges, etc. Tangy good :thumbup: