Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have? >

Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have?

Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by EdieClay
When I cook Thanksgiving Dinner, I cook all the usuals like turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, etc. But the one dish my children always ask for is a broccoli/wild rice/cheese casserole that is out of this world. My son who once said that the best thing about being an adult was not having to eat anything green if you don't want to ... loves this dish. Yum Yum ... made me hungry just writing all this.
Originally Posted by Momofthree
My mom's Cranberry Pineapple sauce. I have gotten my in-laws all hooked.
Any chance I can get these two recipes????? Man Im hungry..
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM

I am glad to see that I am not the only stuffing fanatic around here! It seems to be a popular favorite. We were camping at the beach last weekend & did a Thanksgiving feast with friends. Last night I made our favorite leftover casserole- layer turkey, then stuffing, then gravy, cover & bake- YUM! I am originally from the midwest & my mom always called stuffing 'dressing'- anyone else?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 AM

My hubby is also a non turkey person(actually it's because his tummy is terribly bothered when he eats it as well as my Brother-in-laws)and normally do ham, but
Last year for a change we splurged and went with Prime-Rib, I think we all decided that, that will be our yearly splurge. Still do a rather small turkey for the turkey lover son and ALL of the other yummies.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Store-bought watermelon pickles...in memory of Mom.

She used to make this cold soup thing that she served first, before dinner. It was a sugar syrup, with white mini-marshmallows, walnuts, diced apples, and some other things I don't remember. Growing up I didn't like it so much.

Funny, now that she's gone, I wouldn't even THINK of not making it. I found out just last year that my brother didn't like it so much either, but now loves that I make it so we can remember Mom as we eat it.

Neither of us eats candy bars either. But every time we get together we eat a peppermint patty in her honor.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Cranberry nut pie and baked artichoke squares.

sounds yummy.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by slk350
I have to have turnips and french meat stuffing, of course all the homemade pies !!
What is french meat stuffing?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Our must have is dressing. My mother taught me how to make it about 10 years before she died and I don't think she ever made it again. It was my job. My DMIL would serve stove-top, so my DH never had anything like my home-made dressing until he met me. Now his whole family requests my dressing at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mother was an awesome cook and I'm so thankful she showed me how to make certain dishes for which she never had a recipe. It was funny when she would shake salt or something into her palm and say "this much" and I'd scream for her not to move while I grabbed a measuring cup or spoon to see "how much" and write it down! (Of course, now I rarely consult the recipe... and the results are always better than when I do! lol)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Cranberry Pinapple Sauce
1 bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
1 can of pinapple tidbits
3/4 cup sugar
Heat on stove top until cranberries are all popped open. When heated enough the sauce naturally thickens.
Great cold or hot!!

Hope you enjoy! My husbands family only ever had the sauce from the can, when we had our first Thanksgiving I was surprised to find out people actually ate that stuff in the can. My father-in-law was the only one that ate the canned sauce so when he passed they switched sauce.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Momofthree
Cranberry Pinapple Sauce
1 bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
1 can of pinapple tidbits
3/4 cup sugar
Heat on stove top until cranberries are all popped open. When heated enough the sauce naturally thickens.
Great cold or hot!!

Hope you enjoy! My husbands family only ever had the sauce from the can, when we had our first Thanksgiving I was surprised to find out people actually ate that stuff in the can. My father-in-law was the only one that ate the canned sauce so when he passed they switched sauce.
Thanks for your recipe. I am going to try making it. One question, do you drain the pineapple first?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM

turkey, sage/sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, green beans, cranberry sauce, relish trays, strawberry jello salad, rolls, pumpkin and apple and chocolate pies.....yummmmmmmm