Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker  - >

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 PM

I made both my daughter's quilts, the youngest one first, she loves it but wasn't going to use it so it wouldn't get dirty etc. I told her use it...quilts are made to be used....the other one has it on her bed
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 PM

When I give handmade things away it is with no strings attached.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with using a quilt as a beach blanket, on the sofa (I have two on mine right now), hanging up for all to see and more. If it does not suit your décor, give it away, use it for the dog, although if you ask I will make your dog his own quilt, mine have three, let the kids or grandkids make a blanket fort. Wrap yourself in it as you roast marshmallows over a campfire, use it to keep warm while you watch the kids play hockey, or fold it up to sit on, those hockey bleachers are hard.

Keep it in the trunk of the car, on the boat or in the RV. Use it as a tablecloth, privacy screen or window covering, once I gift it, I have no say in the use.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Last wedding quilt I made for a couple, it took a Year to get a TY note. And then it was not "written", it was pre-printed, not even signed, no mention of what the gift was, and mailed by the printing company.
I got a thank you! It only took about 9 months but it was a heartfelt, handwritten note.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:00 AM

I was on vacation in northern Missouri and saw an ad on Facebook Marketplace for a hand-made quilt for $10. It broke my heart, who would sell the quilt? I wrote to the lady and drove about 45 min. to pick it up. It was the initials of the person who made it. It's sad. She said her MIL made it, but she doesn't have room for it. I also heard a story a few years ago about a lady who made her son and DIL a hand appliqued quilt. She went by their house a few weeks later and saw that the DIL had put the quilt in the dog kennel on the side of the house for the dogs to use! She said she took the quilt home and just cried and cried. I'm fortunate that my boys and DIL love the quilts I made and cherish them to the point that I had to tell them on the new quilts I made that they are Utility Quilts, "What's that?" Me: "Quilts you use everyday." They wouldn't let anyone use their quilts!
Old 02-12-2022, 06:17 AM

I was thinking about the DWR quilt in my Avatar that I gave away and my fear that is has been mistreated. I have to let it go or I would never make another quilt.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:29 AM

My son and DIL asked for some of my quilts. I make bed size hand quilted quilts. They took three of them and I was very happy they wanted them. A few months later, their dog had chewed large holes in them. I took someone's advice on this board and I just let it go. The quilts were theirs to do whatever they wanted.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:41 PM

WHen I lived overseas, our babysitter used to brush our dog, take home the hair and use it for batting and pillow stuffing. Ewww
Old 02-13-2022, 07:00 PM

I made a very dear friend a quilt for her birthday a few years ago. She absolutely loved it. She also loved her dog that she had had for several years. Her dog died last year, and since he loved to lay on it, she had him buried with it. Not being a pet owner, I had no idea pet cemeteries were a thing. I gave her a gift of love. It was hers to do with as she wished, and she said it would comfort her to know he and the quilt were together.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I made a very dear friend a quilt for her birthday a few years ago. She absolutely loved it. She also loved her dog that she had had for several years. Her dog died last year, and since he loved to lay on it, she had him buried with it. Not being a pet owner, I had no idea pet cemeteries were a thing. I gave her a gift of love. It was hers to do with as she wished, and she said it would comfort her to know he and the quilt were together.
I would not be upset by this.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:59 PM

Ok the original question was what horrified me as a quiltmaker. I have 2 stories.

The story of Daphne Grieg, a Canadian quilter who hosted a booth at Market in Minneapolis every year. In 2010, she was delayed at the airport by an overzealous, mean American customs agent who forced her to write "SAMPLE" in felt ink across her sample quilts, the ones she had brought across the border to display in her booth. She eventually was able to get most of the ink out of her quilts.

The other story that horrifies me is a comment posted somewhere on The Quilt Show's website. A woman had made a lovely quilt as a gift for her sister, in southwest desert hues. She requested the longarm quilter quilt it with cactus and coyote motifs in keeping with the Southwestern theme; the longarmer agreed to this plan. When the quilting was completed and the owner picked it up, she was horrified to find that instead of quilting the coyote motifs, the longarmer had DRAWN the motifs in permanent marker on the quilt, because a coyote shape was "too difficult to quilt".