very concerned customer

Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
Our p.o.wont deliver to my actual address. They killed the adress years ago. So I have to rent a box. If something for some reason wont send to a p.o.box I have to give my landlords adress and he brings to me. Saying that: I am always asking the 2 guys who work at the p.o. was some one doing a wacky tobaccy again. They constantly put mail in the wrong boxes. If I am expecting something to come and I don't receive it , I have to have them search the boxes around mine. And 95% of the time ,it was put into some one elses box. The P.O. is getting very unreliable where I live!!
Twisted Sheets, what do you mean by they "killed" the address. Do you have neighbors around you with delivery? Just curious about this. Unless you live outside of a delivery terriroty, that is the only thing that I could understand.

I know too that delivery and service is not consistent all across the country as it should be. Each district is different and not all have the same ethic service wise.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
SO my wish would be that anyone working would take personal pride in their work and do the best, this would prevent all kinds of issues. ANd the world would be a better place...really?
very well stated !!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Most mail is read by a computer and sent without a human seeing it and they do make mistakes. especially on handwritten addresses.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
Originally Posted by twistedsheets
Our p.o.wont deliver to my actual address. They killed the adress years ago. So I have to rent a box. If something for some reason wont send to a p.o.box I have to give my landlords adress and he brings to me. Saying that: I am always asking the 2 guys who work at the p.o. was some one doing a wacky tobaccy again. They constantly put mail in the wrong boxes. If I am expecting something to come and I don't receive it , I have to have them search the boxes around mine. And 95% of the time ,it was put into some one elses box. The P.O. is getting very unreliable where I live!!
Twisted Sheets, what do you mean by they "killed" the address. Do you have neighbors around you with delivery? Just curious about this. Unless you live outside of a delivery terriroty, that is the only thing that I could understand.

I know too that delivery and service is not consistent all across the country as it should be. Each district is different and not all have the same ethic service wise.
The mail carrier went into the computor and put the address in as an invalid address for mail. The system automaticly kicks the mail back to the sender as an invalid address. I had to have the landlord go down and get the address put back in as a valid address. In less then a week the mail carrier again had gone back into the system and killed the address again. Tho the mail boxes (3 of them) list our address and apt no.s on them, the post office delivers the mail to the apartments across the street in them. They are suppose to buy their own (the property owner there). However they have never and used our boxes out front instead! Confusing? So I was when we kept getting the same excuse from the post office. Frankly mail theft is a huge problem here , and the box at the p.o. is safer, it is just sometimes inconvenient for some things. But I have a great landlord so when I must have a residential address I use his!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 PM

As a Letter Carrier for 32 years,I can tell you there are any number of reasons why it takes more time for some things to get to where they need to be. Yes, we are human and we do make mistakes. However, most of the mail is put through machines, and the ONLY time a human even reads it, is when it gets to the letter carrier to be delivered. Most of our letters we don't even TOUCH until we are out on the street delivering them. If the machine reads the address wrong, it can take DAYS to get it corrected. I had a letter recently that belonged in the same city, but the street was wrong, it showed up in my mail (the stuff I don't touch until I'm on the street) 4 days in a row.. and I did everything I could to make sure it didn't keep happening, and still I kept getting it. Why, because machines can't think... they scan the address and send it where it thinks it needs to go. If it is wrong, there is no way to fix it until a Letter Carrier sees that letter, and even then, it doesn't always get fixed.

Also, the percentage of mail that is late, is really very small. I know that isn't much consolation when it's YOUR letter, but on average, I get 1600 pieces of mail in that stuff I don't touch until I am delivering each day. In my station there are 50 routes, in my city, there are 11 stations. If each route in each station got the same number of letters on average that is over 880,000 letters IN ONE DAY, that is being delivered in my city... now multiply that by every other station, town or city nationwide and you are talking BILLIONS of pieces of mail every day. In that 1600 pieces of mail that I don't touch until I'm out delivering, I may get 15 to 20 pieces that don't belong on my route each day which is more that I would like to see, but in the greater scheme of things, really isn't much at all.

Even in the Postal Service, they are cutting back on positions. Parcels get worked, when they have the clerks to do the work. If they are Priority, they SHOULD get worked first, then Parcel Post or Media mail would get worked if they still had time. If they don't have time, then those parcels wait until the next day.. and again, priority would get worked first, then the parcel post from the day before should get work, before the parcel post from that day. If someone calls in sick, they don't have any one they can call to replace them, they just have to work with one (or more) positions short.. and do the best they can.
Even in the Postal Service we have people that take great pride in their jobs, and those that just show up to collect a paycheck, and don't care about the quality of work they do. Unfortunately, those that don't take pride in their jobs, make all of us look bad.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 PM

I just recieved an order, that was mailed on the 28th of last month. It was sent through fed ex. Got to my state and was turned over to USPS. It got to my town, my post office where it took them a week to get it sorted and then a notice that I had something waiting for me. Some places you order from, do not want a PO BOX but, a street. I do not have mail delivery to my house. I have a PO BOX. Our street is relatively new and they don't even have it on a map. They deliver to the corner, which is a small apt complex and main road, but, I have a PO BOX. I am in a rural area. Packages come to me via UPS or Fed Ex, but, everything else is PO BOX. I have to manage to put my Street address and then a notation of some sort to include my PO BOX as well, or I will not get it. Sometimes if this happens the PO will be kind enough to put it in my box. Other times it is sent back. So each day if I am expecting something, that I ordered and is small I have to check with the PO to make sure that they know I am expecting it