Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Oh and how many of you use a scale for your meal preparation?

Oh and are you journaling your food intake?

Missy
I think I should start using a scale. It would give me a better understanding of what a is portion. (I was told a serving of meat should be about the size of a pack of playing cards.) For example I was eating what I thought was an ounce of cheese, but then I found out an ounce of cheese is a 1 inch cube. Boy was I off.

I also journal and preplan my food intake. It helps keep me honest and it is a good record of what I eat and when.
CarolJ,

I too was VERY surprised to see what a serving size actually is. I use my scale all the time and my insurance company requires that I keep a food journal. So, I have to send it to my dietician at the hospital monthly. It has been eye opening too.

Missy
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM

This is great! I too need an incentive. Plus finding and sending the Fat quarter would be fun!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Oh and how many of you use a scale for your meal preparation?

Oh and are you journaling your food intake?

Missy
I think I should start using a scale. It would give me a better understanding of what a is portion. (I was told a serving of meat should be about the size of a pack of playing cards.) For example I was eating what I thought was an ounce of cheese, but then I found out an ounce of cheese is a 1 inch cube. Boy was I off.

I also journal and preplan my food intake. It helps keep me honest and it is a good record of what I eat and when.
I use a scale and measuring cups. I do calories and 1 oz of cheese has more calories then 1 egg so I have hard boiled eggs if I need a quick protein snack.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM

I know, I know, but if I have to think that much about food of all things, I would rather not have any. I know I am crazy and I get mad at the food and my body and it is just nuts. So my nutritionist gave me a plate out of the cafeteria. It has 3 sections. 1/2 of the plate is one section. The other 2 are 1/4 sections. 1/4 of my plate is for protein, 1/4 is for grains/carbs and the 1/2 is for vegetables salad or what ever is from my free list.

This I can handle. I don't take it personally and I am sure I could lose faster if I did it with a scale and measuring cup, but I have to do that which doesn't make me crazy.

My relationship with food is all tied up in my self worth, emotions, values, feelings, etc. It is good I am in counseling. It is good that I am eating again. Someday, I hope that I don't have to focus on this so much, but for now I am doing my best.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grandma12
Originally Posted by penny doty
I am sorry I can't play, But I really can't afford to lose any more weight. I have lost over a hundred pounds from pain, and I am still losing. My now size 8 jeans are getting baggy. They are worried about cancer, but cant afford to have test done. We just trust in the lord to see us through. God bless. Penny
Hard to "just Lurk"... :-)

Eating to NOT loose can be just as complicated as eating so you will loose weight...and considering this is a chat string all about health, fitness, and healthier eating...why can't you join and just modify your mental image of what we can do for you...

Cheering you on as you struggle to not loose more sounds good to my ears. Not all my friends are overweight to obese in the real world either. Some struggle with Anorexia or Bulimia. If food is an issue, sounds like this may be the right place for you anyway...just a slightly altered goal.

I would send you a squishy to have you eating to maintain!
Grandma has a big heart, not just a big body...there is love enough to go around, and then some.

So stick around if you want to...and you don't have to just lurk either.
Thank you, and God bless. Penny
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrammyX3
Pineapple Delight Smoothie Recipe

“This delightful smoothie is one way to ensure that you get the recommended amount of fruit in your daily diet.”

INGREDIENTS

2 cups milk
2 bananas, frozen and chunked
6 pineapple rings
1 tablespoon honey

DIRECTIONS

Combine milk, frozen bananas, pineapple and honey in a blender.
Blend until smooth.

This can't be one serving can it? It seems like a lot to have at one time not that I couldn't drink it all but............ I am definiately stopping for bananas on my way home :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 AM

count me in I will go to health unit to weigh in today I dont have scales so this way I can keep track
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I know, I know, but if I have to think that much about food of all things, I would rather not have any. I know I am crazy and I get mad at the food and my body and it is just nuts. So my nutritionist gave me a plate out of the cafeteria. It has 3 sections. 1/2 of the plate is one section. The other 2 are 1/4 sections. 1/4 of my plate is for protein, 1/4 is for grains/carbs and the 1/2 is for vegetables salad or what ever is from my free list.

This I can handle. I don't take it personally and I am sure I could lose faster if I did it with a scale and measuring cup, but I have to do that which doesn't make me crazy.

My relationship with food is all tied up in my self worth, emotions, values, feelings, etc. It is good I am in counseling. It is good that I am eating again. Someday, I hope that I don't have to focus on this so much, but for now I am doing my best.
Wow. That plate thing is a great idea! I wish I had access to one of those plates. I can totally see your reasoning in using it.

I too have so many issues wrapped up in food. Last night I got so hungry (it was pretty late too) that instead of reaching into the fruit drawer in the fridge I went to the pantry and made Easy Mac (Microwaveable mac and cheese). I feel so so bad about it now. Sigh. I do not know how to recover mentally from this. I just beat myself up so badly when I do things like this. Blech.

How do you all handle the upsets in your eating plan?

I might just do some outside walking today. It is only going to be 81 today. We will see though. I kind of think Gwyn's suggestion from yesterday about sitting outside is a good idea too.

Do you ever just feel so disgusted when you goof up? I sure do.

Thanks guys for being there for each other when we need it.

Missy
Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 AM

The plate thing does help with portion control. I personally use my grandangel's divided Spiderman Plate! When its full it looks like a lot of food, but it is a child sized plate. It helps! And my Billy thinks its great! (He gets the Superman plate)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 AM

I don't know if Walmart still carries them, but for the past few years they had (in their seasonal sections-picnic/summer) 4 packs of these divided plates. Yes, they aren't the highest quality plastic but at 4 for $2 you can get a few sets and toss them when they get discolored from microwave or wear and tear. Also, Hefty makes styrofoam disposable plates like this, but I think it's more economical to go with walmarts if you can find them. They last for quite a while. My daughter and I used our sets for about 4 or 5 months before we decided that we wanted a new purple set. We had gotten the plates, drinking glasses, and bowls so they matched and it was less than $10. My Daughters nutritionist/family therapist recommended the Hefty ones for us too. I just felt that the walmart ones were moreeconomical and "green".
As far as slipping from my diet, I do the same thing. berating myself, feeling guilty, and disgusted with myself. I try to just remind myself that everyone makes mistakes, and try to fit in a little exercise that day. I also hate exercising, so I use it to discourage binging, or snacking on foods that aren't healthy. IE if I eat that I'm going to have to do extra time on the bike or walking, is it worth it? Usually it's not. LOL.