Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Yipee, I just figured out my calories and I have 26 left for the day. I think I'll have a glass of ice tea!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks Missy.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terryl
Originally Posted by GrammyX3
Pineapple Delight Smoothie Recipe

“This delightful smoothie is one way to ensure that you get the recommended amount of fruit in your daily diet.”

INGREDIENTS

2 cups milk
2 bananas, frozen and chunked
6 pineapple rings
1 tablespoon honey

DIRECTIONS

Combine milk, frozen bananas, pineapple and honey in a blender.
Blend until smooth.

This can't be one serving can it? It seems like a lot to have at one time not that I couldn't drink it all but............ I am definitely stopping for bananas on my way home :thumbs-up:
Grandma12 wrote:
This is NOT one serving.
One serving of banana is 1/2
One serving of milk is 8 ounces...
One pineapple ring is one serving...

and in case anyone is wondering...my book:
2009 edition of "The Calorie King" which covers Fat, Carbs & Calories. www.CalorieKing.com

It also comes with a handy diabetes diet guide.
by Allan Borushek, dietitian

who says "Fat Matters, Carbs Count, but Calories are KING!"
1 Tbsp is honey is 3 servings in my book...

So lets re-do this recipe so it is one portion...

in blender put:

pre-frozen, peeled sliced thin 1/2 banana: 3"/2 ounces 50 Cal

(this means ice does not water down slushy effect)

8 ounce cup of non-fat milk 90 calories

1 Pineapple ring, if in it's own juice 15 calories

1 tsp honey 22 calories vs 1 Tbsp = 65 calories

Total calories for those counting them: 177

Too rich for this diabetic granny...! would shoot my blood sugar way too high for a snack...but each to his/her own. Some can afford to eat this way...

but the conversation as I have been following along, trying to just lurk, has been about portion size and how shockingly small it is in reality compared to what we imagine it to be...right?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Wow. That plate thing is a great idea! I wish I had access to one of those plates. I can totally see your reasoning in using it.

Thanks guys for being there for each other when we need it.

Missy[/quote]
... but with the help of the folks here I am feeling lots better about this process. It is like I have a band of cheerleaders and that really helps so very much. I do not care if I ever get another FQ it is about the support, camaraderie and love I find here.

Sometimes I get down like now, But, I am doing better so now I am off to Wal-mart to buy that plate.

Thank you guys.

Love,

Missy[/quote]

So I did a bit of editing...OK?

Missy and all the rest of you ladies:
Instead of cheap Wal Mart Plastic stuff...
how about shopping for one or two really special old plates at the second hand store...hand wash them, it's good exercise.

Think of it as recycling with style...find one that is small, stylish, and says "I feel pretty" or "I am special" or "I feel loved"...

The antique ones were smaller in size to begin with.
May come with a bread plate, small bowl & even a cup & saucer for tea.

Now make yourself a really pretty place mat upon which to sit your place serving ...turn on some calm lovely music to eat by, slower eating is good for the digestive system...add a bit of romance with some candle light...we do love ourselves, that is the goal here, is it not?

And let those who like cheap Wal Mart eat from those things...
we can treat ourselves a wee bit better than that...or hefty Styrofoam throw away ...we can...and I just showed you how you could afford to eat off fine china...they get rid of what there is not enough of, right?

Their toss is our weight loss helper!

so hard to just lurk. I am not being very successful at it at all...

:oops:
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM

You are all doing so well. I have a summer cold so when I am sick I tend to want to eat a little bit all the time it just makes my tummy feel better. Had a chicken enchilada for dinner with a small salad. That was good right. Well guess what DH brought from market when he got the stuff for salad. A big choc. brownie for each of us. Well It just kept calling me so I had a two inch by two inch piece. But I just couldn't leave the rest for tomorrow or throw it out, I ate the whole thing. Now I just wasted the whole day of careful eating. So we all have our little bumps in the road so tomorrow I start again and pledge to do better.
Grandma 12 I really like the idea of the special plate and setting for a meal. It does make a difference. I will try that for DH and I for dinner tomorrow. I have a very beautiful place setting of very old Spode that belonged to DH Aunt who go it as a wedding present and never used it. When she gave it to us and she said now don't be silly and just keep it put away the way I did, Use It. So I think I will.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 AM

I want to go out so bad tonight for mexican. Realy it is my last chance. To night is my last normal meal. And I mean it. I'm in the hospital tomorrow and no food for 3to 5 days and after that only liquids then soft foods. I'm sure to lose some weight now.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 AM

Good Morning! May I ask what you are having done?

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I want to go out so bad tonight for mexican. Realy it is my last chance. To night is my last normal meal. And I mean it. I'm in the hospital tomorrow and no food for 3to 5 days and after that only liquids then soft foods. I'm sure to lose some weight now.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 AM

Thank you all for your support last night. You'll be pleased to hear I made it through the evening without sabotaging myself and I did it WITHOUT the aid of a PM so that'd I'd sleep through it lol

I did go over my daily allowance by 142 calories, but it's ok. I walked 3 miles so that gives me extra calories/points and I haven't been spending my extra points at all this week. Which means I'm doing VERY well *grins*

Nights are so very hard for me. I usually hit the couch around 9pm and between 9-11 is when I do most of the damage. Being where I woke up w/my *coughs* faithful visitor, I am estatic about making it through last night w/o binging!

Is it Sunday yet!?! I want to be able to weigh myself and that scale sure as heck better have some good news for me!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I used to live in Panama, at the Atlantic side of the Canal...in what was then the zone...now the Republic of...

Next door to me lived this wonderful Mexican lady...she taught me a thing or two about Mexican food...it is not all about tacos, re-fried beans and highly starchy foods.

One special occasion she invited my family over for dinner. She had made home made flour tortillas, and a beef soup with corn, and some other spicy veggies, like peppers & onion, diced tomato, garlic, etc.
in a rich creamy tomato sauce. We tore the tortilla into small bits and used those pieces like scoops to eat the soup...she served it with a salad and virgin margaritas.

What an evening.
I still have that tortilla recipe.
If you only had one to scoop your tomato based soup up with...that would not be the end of the world...

So make a nice salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, peppers, diced onion, broccoli bits, cauliflower, some shredded Mexican cheese, and some spicy taco sauce instead of dressing...

Make yourself a small batch of soup, using tomato sauce, paste, or diced tomato, add in garlic, onion, pepper, ginger, lemon juice, corn, celery, some green beans...add one portion of beef...she used cubed meat, but any cut would do...salt, pepper and simmer til tender...don't forget the red pepper for zing...

Garnish the bowl just before serving with a sprig of parsley and some thin slices of lemon & orange peel in twirly design...and sprinkle on just a touch of shredded cheese to thicken things up a bit.

This recipe works up and stores well in fridge...and freezes well too.
Sorry but I do not know how to reduce this recipe...

1 Cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 pinches of salt
1 Tbsp Crisco vegetable shortening

work shortening into dry mixture with fingers, add sprinkles-spoonfuls of water until it forms into a non-sticky dough...about 1/2 cup or slightly more.

Knead just a little longer with Crisco rubbed in well on surface.
Form into a ball in palm of hand...then start working it flat into oval shape where it is all the same thickness...
cook on grease-less griddle, until brown, turning to cook both sides.

If you make several at one time, you can let cool and put the rest away in a zip lock in refrig. But better yet, have one diet friend over to have the other one with you...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
DS is visiting and I have a chocolate cream pie in the fridge calling my name...............HELP!!!!!!!!!
Are you really hungry? or are you stressed, bored, tired need to go to bed because it late?
Any of the above will cause the body to react to the fridge.
Eat a dill pickle. Drink a glass of chilled water with a slice of lemon in it.