Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Went to Son's house today... >

Went to Son's house today...

Went to Son's house today...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 AM

Reading all of this I should be happy my only child still lives with me and "borrows" to a place where I can retreive when she is gone?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't have any kids...so.. I don't have those problems, but I was thinking...was I this way with my parents???? NO WAY.....I think I went WAY to far the other way. I would rather streetwalk to make a living (and granted, I wouldn't make as much now as I would at one time :wink: ) than to take anything from my folks house. Its hard to take anything even when they "give" it to me!

The lying about it is the worst...I finally just quit asking my brother anything...the best way to get a guy to lie???? ...Just ask him a question.. :roll:

Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I don't have any kids...so.. I don't have those problems, but I was thinking...was I this way with my parents???? NO WAY.....I think I went WAY to far the other way. I would rather streetwalk to make a living (and granted, I wouldn't make as much now as I would at one time :wink: ) than to take anything from my folks house. Its hard to take anything even when they "give" it to me!

The lying about it is the worst...I finally just quit asking my brother anything...the best way to get a guy to lie???? ...Just ask him a question.. :roll:
wow, I could have wrote this. I won't take anything, and lie to me? I might say it as a joke, but, I can't stand lying, hit me with the truth, but don't hold your breath waiting for me to ask. I'll go without asking questions, bc I don't want to hear the answer.
I have one brother, love him to death, but his stories get bigger and bigger...I just overlook that, bc they are usually about his dad, and embellishing old memories.
I have one daughter, that remembers only pieces of things, so she fill in the rest. She claims that when I put their easter baskets together,...get this...I would open each of their chocolate bunnies and bite of the ears, and put them back!!! every year!
If she wasn't in the hospital for the third time in six weeks, I would buy her one and bite the ears off and give to her for mother's day...her mother! maybe i will anyway, as a joke, LOL! :wink:
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 AM

I, too, have raised four children who basically managed to produce themselves and raise themselves in order to survive my idiosyncracies.
LOL

I did take some pages from my folks and when the kids rebelled against their chores "The only reason I gave birth was to find someone to do my work".
I figured that rather than leave them to their own conclusions about the situation, I would just admit it up front ... that left them free to find something else to worry about.
Now, we live on the same homestead as youngest daughter, SIL, and grandson .... and <g> hubby and I teach him how to run a ranch. He makes statements about my "supervising" all the chores. He would rather work with Omakdaddy because at least Omakdaddy can outwork the kid ...
I have finally concluded that I and my siblings, my children, and their children are doing a child's job ... making sure that we work hard to convince them that hard work won't kill them! LOL
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

From the time I was 1 year old, I was raised by my grandparents, and I will admit to being spoilt rotten most of the time. When I was in my teens and had a lot of attitude, one Saturday I wanted to go to a friends house and Mom said no, I couldn't go. Of course I was mad and storming. She called me into the kitchen to help her fix Dinner and told me to peel the potatoes. I didn't just peel them, I attack them! She sat across from me stringing beans and didn't say a word. When I finished I threw the knife on the table. She said "are you through?" and I said yea I'm through!. She said "good, now you can peel those peelings!" So I peeled the peelings and she sat there and laughed at me. I am now the Grandmother,and I still am very careful how I peel my potatoes and always get a smile. Mom had a way of teaching me a lesson and never raising her voice. AHH, the good ole days!

Ninnie
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM

LOL ... I HATED working in the kitchen!
SImilarly to you, I happened to be mad one night while I was peeling potatoes and getting them ready for mashed potatoes ... I thought you want these stupid things cut, I am going to CUT them! So I cut them in real small pieces - - at least, I thought they were so small they would melt away when they were boiled.
My mother, who obviously knew more about cooking that I knew about cooking <g> never said a word .... until dinner time ... and, then! she said: Mary taught me how to cook potatoes in record time tonight!
She was really excited! (darn it!)
ANyway, I just gave up trying to get out of kitchen duty for ... oh, maybe three or four days! LOL
God bless moms who are more determined than their brat children, eh?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 AM

I hated doing dishes, I would do anything to get out of that chore. The whole time I would complain and whine, which made the task seem even longer. Mum told me one night, "I make you do the dishes because I love you." I thought about this for a minute and then asked her.. "couldn't you love me a little less?" LOL
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Omak wrote:
I, too, have raised four children who basically managed to produce themselves and raise themselves in order to survive my idiosyncracies.
LOL

love this! I broke my neck to teach and encourage my youngest, but yes, you would think, she spent her whole childhood, mustering up the energy to 'outlive' my parenting. I am so glad, that I have three, bc two of them, remember the same things I do. I tell the younger one, I believe that you say things, the way you do, bc THAT IS the way you remember them. You feel things, larger than life, and then they get recorded that way. :D
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I hated doing dishes, I would do anything to get out of that chore. The whole time I would complain and whine, which made the task seem even longer. Mum told me one night, "I make you do the dishes because I love you." I thought about this for a minute and then asked her.. "couldn't you love me a little less?" LOL
I gave all my kids chores, and we all worked together. I kept a chart, bc visuals worked really well with them, and helped me remember, who did what. I did give them an allowance, based on that chart, despite popular advice against doing that. They learned how to earn money...not being paid to be a member of the family. To each is own.
Anyway, when they murmured a bit, I would say, work is character building. They still remember this, with a smile, and I always say, "See, it worked, you have great character." :wink:
Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM

I don't know how this started but my DS now bring his own tupperware when he comes for a holiday dinner. It may have been when I went thru his cupboards and took all mine back LOL