Westminster Dog Show

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
JS

yes, I watched it. Mr sister in-law is a breeder of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. One of her litter won best of opposite on Monday. For her that is not unusual but, always welcomed.I have her cousin. Love my Ridgebacks
Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM

I watch it every year.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM

It was a Scotish Deerhound. He is cool looking in his own right!!!
Originally Posted by QBeth
The winner was a Scottish something or other. Some kind of hunting dog with long legs. Really cute.
:-D
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 PM

When my beloved poodle was alive, he used to watch the show with me and go to sleep ! My Brie girl thinks I am nuts when I tell her that is how she should be !LOL I know when is thinking that, just from her expression. IF dogs could roll their eyes this one would !LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Banned

My father and his wife breed Scottish Deerhounds, and were entered for Westminster, but ultimately decided not to go. It's just too expensive, and the likelihood of winning was slim -- even though the winning Deerhound is #1 in the country, and their dog is #2 :) But unfortunately, dog shows are 50% about the dog itself, and 50% politics, and the judge wasn't the right one for them to win, so they skipped going.

They have beat the dog that won several times with their dog, and their kennel's bloodlines are in the winning dog, too. They were quite excited to see Hickory win, though; hounds in general tend to get short shrift at Westminster.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
How many have been watching - it is awesome to see all the dif breeds etc. Beautiful and so well trained. I rounded up my dogs tonight and made them watch it and pointed out to them how well behaved the show dogs were - how they minded their own business and did not bother the other dogs - no butt sniffing etc. I don't think they were that impressed but I was.
I would have watched, but it wasn't on any of my channels.

I did see a video of the winning dog, it looks half starved to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 AM

Henry sits on the couch and watches with us. We know he pays attention because his ears perk up at all the dogs. Like him, we are still waiting for a Golden to win Best in Show!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 AM

I love the dog show! My only complaint is that the only Danes that make to the ring are Fawn colored,being a Dane owner I would like to see other colors,Mine could never compete because he is a Merle and not an accepted color for Danes,but its always the fawns
Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 AM

It was nice to see the Scottish Deerhound. They are sighthounds, and lure course (google lure course if you want to know what that is - an event for sighthounds).
I discoverred a few days ago, at the Westminster site, one can watach the breed judging, so of course I watched the basenjis. One of the reasons I even attempted to show this breed, was because a complete nobody (me) can do well, if they have a good dog. From the judging (I knew a lot of the people), that's still true.
There's a man in the breeed who last year, made it possible a young girl, through Make A Wish, could have her wish come true, which was to see the basenjis being judged at Westminster. He was instrumental in having her not only be there to see the judging, she got to be in the ring and pass out the ribbons! I'm kind of afraid to ask if she's still alive, so I haven't.
David Frei sent my daughter a book with a sweet note written inside, when she was going through, what eventually ended in, scoliosis surgery. I'm sure Mike had something to do with that.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM

I do wish the announcer would learn to pronounce "Newfoundland" correctly. It is pronounced to rhyme with "understand" as in "Understand Newfoundland".