Westminster Dog Show

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Turns out a photographer friend of mine recently took some pics of the dog that just won Best of Breed for Anatolian Shepherds at Westminster. To see the pictures of 'Gator', check out Tracey Bish Photography on the internet. He is a handsome dog! And yes, I love it that a sighthound won Best of Show! I had the privilege of sharing life with two retired greyhounds for nearly ten years. Best dogs I EVER had!!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
I do wish the announcer would learn to pronounce "Newfoundland" correctly. It is pronounced to rhyme with "understand" as in "Understand Newfoundland".
thats something I never knew
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
I love watching the WDS! Those dogs are beautiful!

I love the St. Bernards, Clumber Spaniels, Boxers, and oh, so many more!

I do think the dog that won Best in Show is a rather scroungy looking breed. He was a beautiful dog, but not the most attractive breed.
I think that dog that looks like an old fashioned floor mop is interesting...I wonder how long it takes to wind up all its hair like that - although it probably stays pretty well like that a long time. And I wonder what it looks like if someone does not wind up its hair? Perhaps that would be an incredible frizz? - The all time definition of a bad hair day?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:51 AM

I think that dog that looks like an old fashioned floor mop is interesting...I wonder how long it takes to wind up all its hair like that - although it probably stays pretty well like that a long time. And I wonder what it looks like if someone does not wind up its hair? Perhaps that would be an incredible frizz? - The all time definition of a bad hair day?
That dog is a Komodor (white) or Puli (black). They are Hungarian and the coat is that way naturally - that's how it grows in as the the dog matures from a puppy.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 AM

His coat is called 'corded' What's really interesting is I've seen standard poodles with the same 'finish'
I've heard, never had one, that they take forever to dry when bathed
Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
How many have been watching - it is awesome to see all the dif breeds etc. Beautiful and so well trained. I rounded up my dogs tonight and made them watch it and pointed out to them how well behaved the show dogs were - how they minded their own business and did not bother the other dogs - no butt sniffing etc. I don't think they were that impressed but I was.
I haven't missed watching it in years. One year my Hunter participated in it and it was the thrill of a lifetime for us. We held a Westminster Party at our house and all our doggy friends came and we cheered on our favorite breeds.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM

My Lab is the same as yours. He wants to bump the TV with his nose.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM

One of my colleagues at the high school where I retired from in SD, has dogs she takes to a diff state to train them for dog show. Huge sheep dogs and adorable.

Next time you watch this show, look for the Water Spaniels. I grew up with a wonderful WS, and his name was Laddie. He was a beautiful color or colors.