Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What does your  dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you? >

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 AM

My inlaws call me Mom and grandchildren call me Grandma or Mamaw. My husband is called Dad, Grandpa or Papaw. When we lived in Kansas it was quite common for the grandparents to be called Grandma and Grandpa but when we moved to Kentucky most grandparents are called Mamaw and Papaw so it depends are where are grandchildren are living as to what they call us. I never wanted to be called Granny but two of GD call me that sometimes, just to tease me. I really don't care what they call me as long as there is love there.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

The grandkids call me Mimi. So, it's an easy way to take the awkwardness away for the SILs, DIL...they just call me Mimi, too.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Ours was always a home that ended up with kids at all hours of the day or night and they all called us by our names - when one would accidentally call us Mr. ___ or Mrs. ___ I would always correct them stating that Mr. and Mrs. were my inlaws. So when my daughter married it was natural that our sil call us by our given names - he also calls my mother (age 90) by her name. We had known him for years before they started dating so it was just a natural to do so. The same goes for our inlaws (his and mine) first names seemed natural - Mr. or Mrs. was too formal and Mom and Dad was just not right - and our daughter calls his dad by his name

as for grandchildren - I called my grandmother mommaw till in high school and then started calling her Gran which I like and will probably go with that for new grand baby (just can't picture myself as a Nana) - jury is still out regarding my dh name -

because our daughter had so many grandmothers (my grandmother died at 101 - she was in hs) they were grandma _____ when just talking about them but grandma when talking to them
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 AM

My sons-in-law call me Pat. My grandchildren call me Grandmama. My ex-daughter-in-law has another name for me, I suppose. Couldn't care less. I never called my MIL or FIL anything. Mom or Dad would have been out of the question. Only their own children were allowed to call them that, so I didn't even address them with a name, just talked to them without a name. When I talk to my husband about them, I just addressed them as "your mother" or "your dad." I was never asked to call them anything. After all, I took their son away from them!!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
j

Everone in my husbands family has always used their first names for everyone, outside the family if people were around they used aunt uncle grandma etc. Their mom and dad always had nicknames and everyone called them by that. My DIL calls me by my first name and I couldnt have a better person than her for a DIL. I think if you get bent out of shape because someone doesnt call you Mom or Dad, etc., you have a problem with in yourself. - J
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 AM

My DIL is from the south so she calls her mother "Mama" and calls me "Mom"...that was her choice to do so. I let them decide what to call me. DD's first husband called me by my first name. DD is with someone else now but not married, yet. He calls me by my first name at this point...don't know if he will change when they get married.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM

my sonInLaw calls me both - sometimes Mom, sometimes by my name. My former DIL called me by my name, even when signing birthday cards from both her and my son (I don't think she cared much for me, even though I think I'm wonderful). I'm hoping my DIL-to-be will use Mom. She already refers to us as Pops & Grandma to her children. I called my MIL, Mom. My FIL's nickname was Dutch, and I used that most of the time because I thought it was cute, although sometimes I would slip into Dad. I use Auntie, Uncle, Grandma with all of my husband's family. We can never have too much family...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM

I call my mother-in-law mom, per her request even before I was married to her son. When we divorced her and dad stood by me the entire time and after I lost my parents mom has become even more like a mom to me. My father-in-law passed away several years ago and I cherished him like a father also.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I wonder what does your daughter or son in love, DIL or SIL, call you? My oldest boy is 24 and will be marrying this February. My daughter in love just wrote me a note and called me mama plus our surname. I like it sofar. The name mother in law makes my hair stand up since it has such a negative connotation to me. I think I even use my husbands mother over saying mother in law. OK I can see you are reading this but what do they call you. LOL
My DIL (Daughter in Love) has called me 'mom' from the
get go. She calls my husband 'dad' and calls my children's
grandparents 'Grandma' and 'Grandpa'. She and I are
very close and I feel like she is my daughter instead of a DIL.

My SIL doesn't call us anything. Once or twice he has called
us by our first name, but other than that, he just doesn't
call us anything. Maybe it is harder for boys than girls.

I call my in-laws by their first name because that is what they wanted. They are very formal and just have never
wanted to be close enough to me for me to call them
'mom' and 'dad'. I didn't really want to, either. My husband
called my parents (before they died) 'Mama' and 'Daddy'
since that is what I called them.

You might ask your DIL to be what she would like to call you.
My DIL wanted to call us mom and dad, and we were very
happy with that.
Have a Great Day!
Marcia
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 AM

My son's girlfriend calls me and my husband by our first names. I used to call my mother-in-law Mrs. (surname). I did that for quite a few years, but I grew to love her very much, and calling her that didn't feel quite right. Eventually I started referring to her as my mom-in-law, and called her that too. She loved it!