Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM

[quote=quiltin'gran]
Originally Posted by jbud2
Originally Posted by Marjpf
Liver and onions. The smell even made me gag. My mother also occasionally served tongue. Ick!
She made beef heart one time

We had the above frequently and I do enjoy them...couldn't get my kids to eat liver and onions but the rest was okay...one DD and her cousin would fight over liverwurst so when they were both around at the same time each got their own portion with their names put each package...

Won't touch anything made with canned tuna and think Spam is yuk...
I love beef heart, and livers. But I can't stand liverwurst my husband loves it. Spam isn't a real food is it?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Spam isn't a real food is it?
Not sure if you're joking or really asking, but yes, it's a real (very processed) food. I tried it once in college (decades ago), because I was trying to be open-minded about all kinds of things in those days. How people can eat that, I don't know! It looks like dog food, it smells vile, the taste is sickening, and it's like sludge going down.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Spam isn't a real food is it?
Not sure if you're joking or really asking, but yes, it's a real (very processed) food. I tried it once in college (decades ago), because I was trying to be open-minded about all kinds of things in those days. How people can eat that, I don't know! It looks like dog food, it smells vile, the taste is sickening, and it's like sludge going down.
I was joking, but your description will defiantly keep me from eating it. They love it in Hawaii, it was popular during the war. Because they couldn't get much meat in those days. And the kids grew up on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Velveeta is not suppose to be eaten as cut cheese. It's for cooking or melting only. I would never give a child plain Velveeta to eat, yuk. I only buy it to make cheese dip for a crowd. Spam is too processed to be in a regular diet but it's excellent for campfire food. A thin slice of Spam fried crisp over over a camp fire is delicious! I grew up with Spam being in the house but it was never eaten uncooked.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 AM

My folks grew strawberries to sell. I would always get in trouble when I snitched some. You see, I'm very allergic to strawberries,
But, I love them! My mom would say "conni-jean, have you been eating strawberries?" To which I would reply, "no, Mama" She could always tell because I would break out and had welts all over! :oops: :roll:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

They love it in Hawaii, it was popular during the war. Because they couldn't get much meat in those days. And the kids grew up on it.
Egads.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM

okra. does anyone really eat that stuff? it's just so damned slimey :roll: and i really like gumbo, too. :lol: i can't see the okra hiding in there. and whole fish. can't look at them beady grey eyes. :hunf: they look like exactly what they are: dead fish. everything else ranges from tolerable to yummy.

my kids ate everything except my son wouldn't eat any root veggies including potatoes (how he determined they were different from other veggies, he will never know. loves them now) and my daughter hated eggplant. still does.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM

my mom's favorite treat for herself was fried (really sauteed) calves brains. you wanna talk about yuck? three children ran shrieking out of an apartment as though their little lives depended on it.

and what is sweetbreads? i know it's something from inside an animal. do i want to know? david's mother was big on sweetbreads on toast points.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM

I've never had just okra as a side dish, but when I've had it in things, I've been fine with it. Haven't noticed the sliminess that everyone talks about. I've had it fried (you can eat almost anything if it's fried, right?) and in, I guess, gumbo and/or jambalaya.

Butterflywing, of course you want to know what sweetbreads are. We all do! So I looked it up and it's not so bad. They're just thymus gland and organ meats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbreads

Someone mentioned tongue, and I have to tell you it was probably my favorite meat as a child. It is incredibly tasty! And then one day when I was 11 or 12, I found out that it was really a tongue - eeeeuuwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I couldn't bring myself to eat it ever again, which is a shame, because why is that worse than eating any other cown muscle?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Wow, this is quite a thread. Those of us needing to lose a few pounds should use it for inspiration. :-) :-) :-) :-)

I'd blocked SPAM right out of my mind. My folks loved it. Uncooked even. Blech! Slimy icky stuff. And all the rare cow parts like brains and tongue and all. Horrors! I'm going to go have a piece of toast for lunch. :-)