Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I must be lucky. I've always been on a seafood diet---I see food and I eat it.(and it shows, but not that bad really). I love oysters, stewed, fried, raw, but have trouble w/ scalloped. Mom always fixed them for the holidays. Brussel sprouts are ok if fixed right. My DGD cut them into, brushed them w/ olive oil and broiled them. They were very tasty. Our tastes do change as we age. I know there are things that I really don't care for, but loved them as a kid. I love my fruits and veggies, but can do without meat. Although, I do LOVE liver & onions.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Yuck...to most of the above mentioned "delicasies!" Okay, my mom used to buy Chow mein in this big can - looked like worms, and it came with another can of these dried brown worm-looking things. She boiled chicken to add to it... the first time I ate it, I threw it up almost instantly. (Everybody else loved it.) From then on, on "chow mein worm night," I got a bologna sandwich, which I loved. Yeah! Also, eggs - NO, brussel sprouts - NO, cooked spinach - NO. I still won't eat eggs! Makes me feel OOOGGGYYY just thinking about this stuff.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Our tastes do change as we age. I know there are things that I really don't care for, but loved them as a kid.
There really isn't anything that I loved (or even liked) as a kid that I don't like now.

It's more the other way around. I got far more open to trying things in my college days (from vegetables to foreign cuisines) and eat a wider variety of food than I did growing up.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM

I eat a wider variety now, because I have access to a bigger variety. My dad was a logger and during the winter got unemployment, and in summer tried to catch up on the bills. We pretty much ate what the garden produced, and hillside salmon. Mom made all the bread, and pastries, everything from scratch. I learned to cook before I went to school and I cooked what my dad liked; meat, potatoes and bread. Not heavy on vegetables, until the garden came on. Mom always canned, and some of it was gross!! Like cauliflower. YUK!! I love cauliflower now, just lightly steamed, salt and pepper. We had fresh milk, as I've mentioned before. Once, it was a goat. Goat milk is.................different. But after awhile, I couldn't drink cow's milk. It was interesting growing up when and where I did. It's been 50 years since graduation, and the 59ers classmates are still close. There were only 12 of us, so that is an indication of the size of our town.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM

None, I have to say my Mama cooked everything from scratch and is a wonderful cook. We ate everything that was set on the plate and never had any trouble eating it. I don't understand children today who won't eat 'real' food, only nuggets, hamburgers and pizzas. We only had those as treats. Today's parents offer way too many 'menu choices'. Our little ones are getting spoiled and it's not good for them.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Mom & Dad asked us to try new things but if we did not like it, we were not forced to eat it. Thank God! Brains, Tongue, Beef Heart, Cooked Spinach, Collard Greens,Beets, whole fish yes with the beady eyes, were all definate NO's with me! Still are NO's to this day. Gag!

Fried Okra is yummy. I'll eat about anything that isn't on the NO list. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Years ago it was always mandatory to clean your plate no matter what as you couldn't waste food. I hated lima and butter beans. I had to sit at the table till I ate everyone of them. Well I found out that our dog liked them and I kept dropping a few on the floor under the tabel till they were gone. Well I got cought by my Dad and he opened a can and forced me to eat them.....well they didn't stay in my stomuch very long. Other thing I hated was head cheese what really isn't cheese it was from the meat and fat of the head of a steer jellied. It was so offal when my Dad butchered a steer and he brought the head in the house.....just looking at it I got sick and those cow eyes uggggg! I had some bad dreams from it!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:29 PM

sand plums...we got caught trying to snitch a few from the neighbors wheelbarrow every summer.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
sand plums...we got caught trying to snitch a few from the neighbors wheelbarrow every summer.
LOL, now there's a different way for food to have gotten you in trouble as a kid!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Has to be liver and onions. I always had to eat a small piece. I would cut it up into very, very small bits and then bury them in mashed potatoes and swallow it whole! To this day, I cannot stand the smell (or taste) of any kind of liver. Ewwwwwwww