Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I find it so interesting how one person's HATE IT is another person's LOVE IT. Good thing we have such variety in the food spectrum these days and that we are allowed to make our own choices as adults. Sign me loving the liver and onions in CA.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Tripe! The stomach lining of a pig. White, chewy, bland with little bumps and wrinkles! Must have been cheap! Served in a white cream sauce! I sat for 2 hours one day with a plate of it before me until I was finally allowed to leave the table.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Too true! Lambs tongues? Yum!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
sand plums...we got caught trying to snitch a few from the neighbors wheelbarrow every summer.
oh and let's not forget elderly Mrs. Potter who lived behind us. I was quite a tomboy and loved to climb her apple tree and help myself to a few apples. One day she found me there and knowing that the apples weren't "quite" ready yet, she told me I could eat all I wanted. Guess who doesn't much like apples now....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 PM

what a mean lady!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:38 AM

sand plums...we got caught trying to snitch a few from the neighbors wheelbarrow every summer.
oh and let's not forget elderly Mrs. Potter who lived behind us. I was quite a tomboy and loved to climb her apple tree and help myself to a few apples. One day she found me there and knowing that the apples weren't "quite" ready yet, she told me I could eat all I wanted. Guess who doesn't much like apples now....
Oh my...this brings back a memory I had forgotten!!!! Growing up, we lived around the corner from an estate that was turned into a retirement home after that spinster that owned it, passed away. There were several varieties of fruit trees that hung over the fence, and as kids do, we would help ourselves to whatever hung over....fair game, right? Well, boys being boys, my older brother and a few other local boys, would climb the trees, and invariably, end up on the "in" side of the fence. the caretaker was an old lady that would come running out to shoo them off. After a few times of this she threatened to call the police. I don't remember if she ever did. LOL Oh what fun!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM

To be perfectly honest, I don't think there are any foods that I eat now that I didn't like as a child. I'm still miss finicky. I think the ONLY think I eat now that I'd never even had the chance to have as a child is fish. My in-laws love fish, and they get really expensive pacific salmon pretty often, and the best way they make it is on the BBQ with a maple glaze. The other ways of preparing it, I'm not so fond of...

They've also tried to get me to eat Halibut (ew!) swordfish (meh, sort of indifferent) and trout (tastes like the salmon, only it's cheaper).

If I really typed out a list of foods that I don't like, it would be 3 pages long, I'm not even joking. Don't ever wonder why I'm skinny!
My parents gave up trying to force feed me things I didn't like a loooooooong time ago. They tried making me sit at the table until I ate the meal, or threatening to serve it for breakfast, or that I couldn't go to a friend's house till I ate it, but their tactic failed miserably each time. When you really really don't like something, it won't even go in. I would sit there for hours, or even accept that they give it to me the next day, and still not eat it then. I think they preferred that I actually eat something else than starve, which I was very willing to do to not have to eat whatever grossness they were serving. Luckily, they never made liver, tongue, kidney, meatloaf, funny looking and tasing vegetables, etc. when I was a child. I'm not sure if it just wasn't worth the hassle to try to get me to eat it, or if they just didn't like those things either.
My father would try to camouflage his onions when making chicken fried rice by putting the onion through the food processor, and I would pick through every grain of rice on my plate to toss the onion to the side. Or Spaghetti sauce, my father's sauce is great, but my mother's sauce, eewwwww! She puts like everthing she can think of in there, tomato pieces, onion, mushroom, peppers... the works. Anyway, so I would pick out all the pieces and shove them to the side of the plate before eating anything. By the end of my meal, there was always a big ring around the outside of my plate decorated with all the things I picked out of my food. I never ate salad (don't like lettuce, onion, tomato, or salad dressing of any kind... what else goes into a salad?)

The most awful thing I can think of my parents serving when I was little (and even then it was pretty rare) were cabbage rolls. Cabbage is gross, and cooked cabbage stinks up the house for days. Plus the sauce it's cooked in has chunks of tomato, and the filling is ground beef and rice (which are ok, but are tainted by the cabbage taste) and ground onions, so even if I unrolled the cabbage leaf and didn't eat it, I still had to pick through all my meat to eat around the onions, lol!
My BF complains all the time that he can't make anything fun because I won't eat it! Even making hamburgers is totally boring to him. He can dress his up the way he wants, I don't care, but it drives him crazy that I don't like condiments of any kind... he keeps saying my food is boring. I don't even like ketchup!

You know, I've written a whole ton here, and that's not even a fraction of my fussyness with food... I sure hope my kids are like their father, not like me, lol!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM

All I can say is WOW! I hope you take vitamin supplements...............
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Well, to be fair, I do eat a lot of normal foods, just not the weird ones! I eat very bland meats and vegetables. Corn, celery, carrots, potatos, beans, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, beets... all the normal stuff, just not the weird ones, or ones that just taste too strong (asparegus, bruxel sprouts (is that how you say it in english?)avocado, onions, peppers, squash, turnip, etc.) I'll eat turkey, chicken, beef, ham... normal things. I think my biggest problem is how they're served. I will have gravy with my potatos and turkey, or roast, or whatever, but it has to be on the side so I can dip, not have it already on my plate. I'll eat the corn and mashed potatos, but only with a little butter and salt. I will eat hamburgers or hot dogs, but I eat them plain, no ketchup, relish,mayo, mustard, pickles...or anything pickled or with vinegar.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM

OKRA!!!! And my dad's from the south...I can't stand the stuff. Not just because of the slime, but even the taste makes me gag!!