Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM

DD and I were just discussing how as teenagers they would complain about there being nothing to eat in the house. They went to college and had a taste of living on their own. When they came home on breaks they would comment about how much food we had in the cupboard. Funny how perspective changes.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
DD and I were just discussing how as teenagers they would complain about there being nothing to eat in the house. They went to college and had a taste of living on their own. When they came home on breaks they would comment about how much food we had in the cupboard. Funny how perspective changes.
Amazing how kids learn how much there really is to eat at home once they have been on their own isn't it? My son did that and then wanted me to teach him how to cook. LOL...now, he cooks ALMOST as well as I do...just not as often. Neither of my sons will eat beets in any form. They say that they are awful...they wouldn't even eat them when they were babies.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM

For me it was peas, I hated them!! I used to try and feed them to the dog, but even the dog hated them. I remember one night sitting at the table pushing peas around my plate, I was told I couldn't leave the table until I ate them.

My parents house had the old style storm windows with the flap of wood that lifted up exposing three holes to outside... Mum was doing dishes, so I decided to stuff the peas out the holes in the storm window...what I didn't know was my father was outside watching these peas dropping to the ground! LOL
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
For me it was peas, I hated them!! I used to try and feed them to the dog, but even the dog hated them. I remember one night sitting at the table pushing peas around my plate, I was told I couldn't leave the table until I ate them.

My parents house had the old style storm windows with the flap of wood that lifted up exposing three holes to outside... Mum was doing dishes, so I decided to stuff the peas out the holes in the storm window...what I didn't know was my father was outside watching these peas dropping to the ground! LOL
LOL
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Not me - my son. When we moved, we found dried, cooked green beans piled behind the buffet in the dining room. So much for 'eat your green beans if you want dessert.' I don't know how he (my son, not my daughter) managed to put them there right under my nose. He was horrified, and he confessed when the buffet was moved.I tried so hard not to laugh, but I couldn't help it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
my mom's favorite treat for herself was fried (really sauteed) calves brains. you wanna talk about yuck? three children ran shrieking out of an apartment as though their little lives depended on it.

and what is sweetbreads? i know it's something from inside an animal. do i want to know? david's mother was big on sweetbreads on toast points.
yummy!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Asparagus. I had my tonsills taken out when I was 12 and I awoke from the surgery to a meal of canned asparagus on soggy toast with cold cream sauce, certainly not a meal for someone who just had their tonsills removed.

In recent years I have eaten them raw and last Sunday I had one that was lightly steamed with an extra virgin olive oil dressing, all a far cry from the mushy meal I was given in the hospital. Still I don't see the appeal for them as they don't have much flavor and are very expensive.

Worst thing my mother baked but only my father ate was a breaded sheep's head. Beady eyes staring at you, scared us kids. May in Jersey
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM

We weren't forced or cajoled to eat anything. But I have learned to like a lot of things I turned down like asparagus, pickled beets, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Cheese, wouldn't eat any kind of cheese.........now I eat some kinds.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM

jlquilter,
you can cook spam in maple syrup and it is delish! When you are way out camping.

Quilter68/70