Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:30 PM

For Everyone with children,

You have to read "Bread and Jam for Francis". The wise Mother bear says "Of course you can have bread and jam". Of course after several days/week all of the other food looked so good.

Read it to the nursery school every year.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

We ate everything as children I did not do not like bananas but my mom said even as a baby I gagged on them. We were not picky grew up on wild game and fish, I do not eat fish now had to much as a child I guess. Love almost all veggies WE always had a large garden and mom canned everything I guess when you are a part of the process (it was a family affair) things taste better. But then again Mom was (is) a good cook!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Tomatoes, onions, both of which were in the green salad my Dad had to have every night & we of course always had to eat some of everything served. And peppers, especially stuffed bell peppers. Never could figure out why I couldn't just eat the salad minus the tomatoes & onions, the BLT sandwiches minus the tomato, or the stuffing of the stuffed bell pepper. Would have been a whole lot more eating going on and a whole lot less fussing & gagging with my food.

Oh well, I'm a big girl now, so I can & I do!:D
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Cooked turnips! My mother would even cook a pot of potatoes and turnips together and then pretend they were all potatoes. Yeah, right. Stinking miserable excuse for food. Why would anyone want to eat a cooked turnip? :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf:

Raw turnips are crisp and tasty. :thumbup:

PS Reading other folks tribulations reminded me of canned creamed corn. I could NOT choke it down, I don't know how I got rid of it. Canned peas, spinach were similarly nasty. I didn't know delicious veggies existed until I married a man who gardened. WOW!

PPS Anyone out there like beef marrow? Dad and I used to share marrow from the arm roast and the rest of the family would turn green.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM

creamed tuna and peas over toast. makes me gag just thinking about it. I too had the eat it or you'll have it for breakfast, dinner, etc. swore i'd never do that to my kids, I let them try things on their own time. if all they ate was PBJ, chicken nuggets or macaroni, didn't matter. in fact they did for years. now, they eat everything, even sushi and sashimi and they are both healthy and vibrant young men!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM

For me growing up, it was tomatoes. To me, they had an incredible amount of snot....the word slime never occured to me. I got married and went to TX in '64 and was introduced to ocra....slime was still snot. I liked it fried after all but no other way. Went to Cuba, planted a garden in '72 where we had cherry tomatoes....DH didn't dare plant bigger.....and I learned to like tomatoes but still have to squeeze the snot out of the big ones before I'll eat them. THE ONE thing I will never abide even into old age is cantelope...it smells like something rotted in the refrigerator. My deceased dh pooh-poohed that until he came home from work one day after I'd been to the commissary, opened the fridge for a beer and said "when was the last time you cleaned out the fridge?" and I said yesterday. He said "WELL, SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN THIS FRIDGE" and I told him to look in the veggie drawer. All he said was "OH". He had to take it outside and clean it and cut it up and put in tupperware...that was a rule I enforced for his own good. That is some nasty stuff...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
We ate everything as children I did not do not like bananas but my mom said even as a baby I gagged on them. We were not picky grew up on wild game and fish, I do not eat fish now had to much as a child I guess. Love almost all veggies WE always had a large garden and mom canned everything I guess when you are a part of the process (it was a family affair) things taste better. But then again Mom was (is) a good cook!
We must be related. My mom told me that as a baby, mashed banana was the only food I ever spat out. To this day, if there isn't still a touch of green at the stem end, I can't eat them.

Patti
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
Asparagus and oysters yuck! Still can't stand the smell of either.
What she said!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM

Liver! Bleck!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

I never had to eat anything I didn't like. Only one vegetable I don't like and that's beets. I detested cheese and mayo. I grew up eating garden fresh foods, fresh eggs, fresh whole milk, and slaughtered beef and pork. My grandmother and grandfather had a rural farm and I lived with them. My grandmother baked all our cakes and pies. Not many stores to buy anything but the basics so having a soda or candy bar was a real treat, not an everyday thing. I know I owe my great health all these years to my childhood diet.