Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear, the apple story reminded me of one of my neighbors. Old bitty had a cherry tree in her yard and the neighborhood kids would eat the cherries from the branches that hung over the property line. She actually went to my mom and complained about it ....and how she could let me play with "those hooligans." My mom told me about the complaint which prompted me to get my allowance and go purchase a big bag of cherries at the store. I took them over to the neighbor and gave them to her to make good on what we took. OMG she had a literal screaming fit and threw the bag of cherries at my feet. She earned the nickname "cherry lady" lol ..... and no - not liking the cherries too much either.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I think forcing children to eat what they hate can cause eating disorders in young teens, and on into adult life.
My Mother's Mother made me eat liver. She died exactly one week before I turned five, and that is all I remember about her. I know this is not an eating disorder, but it was traumatic.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:36 PM

My mother used to cook liver and onions and I think out of the four of us kids that I was really the only one who ever liked it besides my dad. Now a days they say not to eat organ meats since they are so high in cholesterol. :(

What got me into trouble? Lima beans, navy beans, northern beans, stewed tomatoes. EWWWWWW!!!!! I still can't eat them till this day. We had them quite often as dry beans were always cheap and plentiful. Since I always sat next to Dad at the table...mine always went onto Dads dish or in his bowl. He never complained...just continued to eat them. (I think being the only girl that he sort of favored me when I did that.) Mom always complained to Dad later that I would never learn to eat anything different if he kept allowing me to do that. Mom did cook a beef heart and tongue once....but ended up feeding them to the dog...and even he wasn't too fond of it. LOL
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM

I used to love heart and tongue. Loved the "lick" part of the tongue. Canadian of English background family may have had something to do with it.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I used to love heart and tongue. Loved the "lick" part of the tongue. Canadian of English background family may have had something to do with it.
My grandmother use to make a stuffed beef heart with dressing. I never ate it but mom said it was good. She also did the cow tongue. It looked gross before & after you cooked it but after she peeled & skinned it, she would slice it real thin & it tasted just like roast beef. I liked it. Dh probably wouldn't eat it. He won't eat crawfish or frog legs. Gm was from Kansas by way of Royalton, Vermont descents.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM

I'm with Dh on boycotting crayfish and frogs legs! We used to feed our babies lamb brains in Australia! Soft, full of protein and iron. Love your signature Debra!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I'm with Dh on boycotting crayfish and frogs legs! We used to feed our babies lamb brains in Australia! Soft, full of protein and iron. Love your signature Debra!
The frog legs taste like white meat on chicken only the meat is real white. Fried it is good. Crawfish take a little more doing. They are a heck of a lot of work & Dh won't eat anything he has to fight to make a meal out of. They are an aquired taste. I like shrimp better. I think I would die if I had to eat brains. Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Raw carrot sticks. Mom used to put one on our plates every night. Then my sister and I decided we would hide them under the rims of our plate, and we would take turns volunteering to clear the table for mom (so she wouldn't find them under our plates)..eventually she saw them in the garbage and we were busted. I still hate raw carrots, but love them cooked softer.

Also ice cream. There was an ice cream parlor near our house and I used to go there and spend the money mom gave me for girl scout dues. Finally she said she wouldn't keep giving me more dues money, so I had to quit girl scouts.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 PM

wow! I hated squash growing up. My mother fried it soggy and it was nasty. I hid it under the place mat and squished it flat. Didn't help that she told us it was fried potatoes either. We make our kids eat at least one bite of everything. If its something they really hate we may skip it. But I tell you I have seen SO many picky kids that won't eat anything and moms that are scrambling trying to just get something in them, and those kids are obviously doing a power play, that I'm just not going to let mine do that. We have a niece who for the longest time would only eat rolls...not just any kind of rolls either..had to be a certain type. She went hungry a few times at my mil's house. She was offered anything else in the house and my mil has a WELL stocked pantry and she turned her nose up at everything.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

There were two kinds of food that got me in trouble as a kid...the ones I liked - sweets (too many)...and the ones I didn't like - cooked veggies (cooked too long and no seasonings)
I still have trouble convincing myself that most cooked veggies MIGHT taste good!