Where you live

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM

I live in Las Vegas with my daughter and her family. I like the fact that there is good medical care and good shopping but hate the crime rate and the loooooong hot summers. I'm like a lizard, anything above 70 degrees and I run for cover. I lived in Tennessee for 2 years until my Mom passed away and I really loved it there (except for the tornado warnings) We lived about 40 miles north of Nashville near Columbia. People are so friendly there and the country is absolutely beautiflul. I'm really a country gal anyway and love the peace and quiet of the country.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM

I must add about my little section of Upstate NY, it is far from perfect. We get the "lake effect" snow in winter; fight the black flies in spring, the mosquitos in summer; my soil is acidic glacial till and I have to dig up 3 rocks to plant 1 flower; the roses I love struggle to survive here while the native wildflowers (read that weeds) thrive.
In spring I go outside with a net over my head, socks over the hem of my pants and gloves over the cuffs of my sleeves and reeking of insect repellent. All that to defeat the black flies to which I am very allergic. But then I can sit on my swing and watch the creek down in the ravine that runs 20 feet from the side of our house, or I can work in the gardens, or watch the bluebirds nesting in one of the 5 houses I keep for them.
Would I move to get away from the snow and the black flies, NO WAY!!!

by the edge of the ravine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262269[/ATTACH]

Lookin' out my backdoor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262270[/ATTACH]

our creek (crick?)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262271[/ATTACH]

we get snow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262216.jpe   attachment-262217.jpe   attachment-262218.jpe   attachment-262220.jpe  
Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 PM

living about 2 miles from where I grew up. We have 34 acres, built our home 10 years this summer. Hard to believe it's flown by! This is a our "retirement home". We bought the land with the idea to hold it until we retired and found the mortgage was better with building our home. I'm still trying to make my gardens outdoors and have weeds for a back yard. Oh well- needed to raise the kids first.

Hubby will only live here, I would be gone to a warmer climate in a heartbeat. Already know where I want to be- on a beach with a book in hand, umbrella over me to prevent the wrinkles and a cooler of ice water. I pretend now- we haven't been to the beach since '05 but I try every year!

Our kids are spread all over- NC and NV, but I want VA. And I know it will be PA. Sigh........
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM

I married my DH when he was in the service. We stayed in my hometown Baltimore for 12 years and then believe it or not were transfered to his hometown in IN. Now I can't get him to leave and I will never be a Hoosier. To many cliques in this darn town and I have been here 40 years. I would love to live in the Carolinas. The south just has a different feel, but I guess I am here for the duration.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM

No, I hate living here now. Moved here when town was still small, it is growing to fast. The schools were good, there were still horses and sheep in the feild across the road from our street and we were still considered county, and the price of houses were about $60,000 cheaper at the time.
Now it is manurfactured homes and stick built homes. There is new fast food places, markets and apts. going up. They just opened Western University of Health Sciences, Lebanon for the first class last month. It is part of the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific based in CA. They are building a Veterans Rehabilitation facility over near the hospital, which I don't have a problem with. Traffic almost anytime of the day is a pain in the butt.
This town is just getting to big. I want to move but seem to be stuck here because husband isn't ready to retire because frankly we couldn't afford it.

If I could move I would be in Central Oregon around Prineville or Lapine in a heartbeat. If I left Oregon, I would go check out the parts of Washington state I lived in or move to a small town up there, west side of the mountains.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 PM

We moved to SC in 1990 when my husband was transferred here with his job. We live in a very small town about 45 minutes SW of Charlotte, NC. If there were no other considerations, our favorite place in all the world to live would be Charleston, SC. But, our daughters and their families live in Charlotte; we love our house; and we have made good friends here. So, we'll be staying right here in York...and visiting Charleston as often as we can.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Thought I would 'live happily ever after" here but it's not like that. We live on IL largest man made lake, small farm town, people are friendly, quilters are all in a clique, stuck up for the most part. If I had it decide, I would create a town for quilters only! Everything in that town would have to do with quilting. MOST quilters are the friendliest group of people & the most fun to be around. So where & when can I start this town????
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM

I live in Nevada during the weekend and Northern California on the weekend. If I had a choice, I would live in Northern California but not until I.......
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM

I used to live in Imperial Beach!!! Small world!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Where I live is very different from what I thought it would be. A culture shock in many many ways.