Wish I had asked Mum

Old 10-26-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
"Does any one else have any questions that they wish they had asked their Mother before it was too late."

I think many of us feel that way. So I've been making a book of family favorite recipes and also trying to find out family history and recording it. I'm sure my grandkids don't know or even have thought it was important to know where my DH's and my parents and grandparents were born and lived, what they did for a living, how many children they had, etc. Some day they will.
One of my DIL's is researching her family history and as found that another DIL's family and hers may be related even though one DIL is from Maine and the other from New Jersey. May in Jersey
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Grandma, on the other hand, was always cheerfully working and I worked by her side and loved it. I still miss her a lot, my dear little Grandma who lived in her aprons and always seemed to have a hoe in her hands when she was outdoors.

Thanks for starting this, it has brought back many memories.
I remember my Grandfather, my father's father, my other grandparents died before I was born or shorty after. In those days if you lived to 50 you were old. Anyway Grandpa lived until his 70's and and for most of my life he lived with us in a house that he owned, complicated arrangement between him and my parents. He was so good to us, every day on the way home from work he bought a candy bar and cut it into 4 pieces to share with my brother, sister and I. He bought us roller skates when all the other kids had them and our parents said they were too expensive. He bought me a typewriter when I was in high school because I wanted to be a secreatry and my parents wanted me to go into the garment trade sewing clothes in a factory. Thank you Grandpa, I think of you often and you helped me become the person I am today. As a secretary I left my neighborhood to work in the city and over the years worked at similar postions that opened up new worlds to me. I'm going to write this down and add some memories of him and his stories of growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the early 1900's. I'll put it in the frame with the picture I have of him and his taxi cab in New York around 1911 0r 1914.

Also, long overdue to write about the large ironstone macaroni platter that was my mother's mothers. My granddaughter Catherine would like it and I need to write grandma Louise's history down and the passing of her platter down from her to my mother to me, also the proper way to add the sauce, macaroni and grated cheese onto the platter. Sad that I never knew grandma Louise but her platter is part of our family history. Thanks for beginning this posting and all the memories it has generated for us. May in Jersey
Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Grandma, on the other hand, was always cheerfully working and I worked by her side and loved it. I still miss her a lot, my dear little Grandma who lived in her aprons and always seemed to have a hoe in her hands when she was outdoors.

Thanks for starting this, it has brought back many memories.
I remember my Grandfather, my father's father, my other grandparents died before I was born or shorty after. In those days if you lived to 50 you were old. Anyway Grandpa lived until his 70's and and for most of my life he lived with us in a house that he owned, complicated arrangement between him and my parents. He was so good to us, every day on the way home from work he bought a candy bar and cut it into 4 pieces to share with my brother, sister and I. He bought us roller skates when all the other kids had them and our parents said they were too expensive. He bought me a typewriter when I was in high school because I wanted to be a secreatry and my parents wanted me to go into the garment trade sewing clothes in a factory. Thank you Grandpa, I think of you often and you helped me become the person I am today. As a secretary I left my neighborhood to work in the city and over the years worked at similar postions that opened up new worlds to me. I'm going to write this down and add some memories of him and his stories of growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the early 1900's. I'll put it in the frame with the picture I have of him and his taxi cab in New York around 1911 0r 1914.

Also, long overdue to write about the large ironstone macaroni platter that was my mother's mothers. My granddaughter Catherine would like it and I need to write grandma Louise's history down and the passing of her platter down from her to my mother to me, also the proper way to add the sauce, macaroni and grated cheese onto the platter. Sad that I never knew grandma Louise but her platter is part of our family history. Thanks for beginning this posting and all the memories it has generated for us. May in Jersey
Hope I can get this on my Watched Topics List
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Tell us the way to make macaroni like your granny did. I never heard of doing it that way. I'd like to try it. linda
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

I have been doing genealogy with my Mom for a long time, so that provided a channel to ask questions and keep communication open. However, few days after my Dad died, I had a dream that I was following him all over their place asking him questions. Each time I asked a question, he would turn and walk to another part of the property, never answering my questions. I awoke abruptly from this dream, screaming at him "Why wont you answer me?"

weird, huh?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM

This is the way my mother said her mother used the platter to serve macaroni.

First you ladle a few big spoonfuls of tomato sauce on the platter, then some of the drained cooked macaroni, then some sauce, macaroni, the last of the sauce and then she grated romano cheese over it all. Meatballs were served in another dish.

Over the years I've changed the way my mother taught me to make tomato sauce, I use a lot less oil, crushed not whole tomatoes and I buy my romano cheese is already grated. Only problem nowadays is that it's just the 2 of us and I don't make big macaroni dinners. Have to admit I sometimes use bottled tomato sauce, Classico Tomato Basil is what I like best. May

PS. We called it macaroni or spaghetti, never pasta.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Thank you! I have never had macaroni that way. will have to try it. linda
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM

My mother who has been gone now for 25 years did beautiful crocheting and counted cross stitch...something I was never good at. I have a lot of pieces that I had framed and hung. My sister came to visit not too long ago and saw them..the first thing she said was why did I have all these and you ( meaning me) were always her favorite. I just said "I asked her to make them for me". She was so pleased to be asked and I was thrilled to have them. Several years ago I took two of her doilies, had them framed and gave them to DS and DD as a remembrance of their grandmother. Many, many years ago my mother was into the "paint by number" thing. I thought they were so ugly but my dad made beautiful oak frames for each and every one of them. I used those frames for the needlework so the kids would have something from each.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewingyankee
A couple years ago my daughter asked me to write all my recipies out for her. Christmas that year I got recipe boxes with a slanted top to hold a recipe while you were cooking.
I got some card stock and copied some decoritive recipe cards online. I hand wrote the recipies of all my recipies for my daughter, son and 2 grandchildren. They thought that was the greatest present. I even put them in plastic sleeves.
One of my granddaughters asked me for a recipe and that started me making a 5 x 7 looseleaf book with the recipes I make most often and also including many family favorites. I've named some of them, example: Ex-Aunt Flora's Corn Casserole, the nicest thing she ever did for our family. I bought some plastic sleeves for the recipes and grouped them by dinner, desserts, etc. I have so many recipes that I had to buy another looseleaf book. May in Jersey