Wish I had asked Mum

Old 10-23-2010, 06:14 PM

I wish I could ask Her....Do You know How Much I Love You. ?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 AM

boy do I ever wish I had asked more questions. Dad died when I was 9 which is 48 years ago so mom raised us by herself. Mom has been gone for 4 years now, she lived with us for the last 1-1/2 years of her life and although I did ask some questions, not nearly enough. While I knew my mom was married before (my sisters dad), I never knew my dad was married before my mom. I know her name was Joanne, and I know how my parents met after she & my dad divorced--my dad was 12 years older than my mom and loved her dearly as well as us kids. I wonder now if Joanne had any kids by my dad, and what life was like for mom & dad. I know my mom had TB, but do not know if it was before my brother and I were born or after. My grown daughter is bi-polar and there are so many times that she does or says things just like my mom, that I now wonder if Mom was too. Except for my dad's brother, I never really knew his side of the family--his dad, mom and sister died when he was little and his grandmother raised the 2 boys. Mom told me some things, but now I wish I knew more. My moms sister cannot help because she suffered a stroke before my mom passed and although she understands when you talk to her, she cannot communicate back very well. I miss calling her to talk---so my advice is that for those of you who still have your parents with you, call them, ask questions, be a part of their lives---because one day they willnot be there.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 AM

Mothers are so important to our lives. I was very close to mine. She died a year and a half ago and the grief is still so fresh. Love the earlier post, "I'm going to give my mom a call now."
I wrote a couple of days ago my story about my first quilt.Tears ran down my face as I wrote it. The replies from members have been so heartfelt and inspiring.
Not a day goes by that I don't wish that I had asked her questions about life and quilting. I handle her unfinished projects and material. That brings me comfort.
Cherish memories and if your mum is alive- get in touch!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 AM

There might have been a few things I wished I had asked my mom. What I remember most is that right afterward I would think 'Oh, I'll just call mom she'll know what to do' and then remember. My grandmother though I really wish I had the chance to talk more with her and ask her to tell me more stories from when she was young. On her last visit (she lived in the Yukon I live in Oregon) to my dad's house I asked her to tell me about her family as a girl. Later my dad said that he'd never heard of the stories she told that night and that they were important.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 AM

We arrived home last evening from my daughter's wedding on the East Coast. Our new son-in-love is a wonderful person and we are truly blessed to have him as part of our family.While at the wedding, we met so many members of his extended family who realize how important it is to keep in touch and have the grounding of family love -- even if separated by thousands of miles. I believe his family was telling the truth when members told us that they had fallen in love with her.

Thus, this is the time to start a journal and write individual letters to each of my loved ones. One of our daughter-in-laws has written a letter to each of her daughters on the occasion of each birthday. In the letter, she recounts events of the child's last year in details such as friends and relatives, where they lived and/or traveled, popular trends, etc. Her children do not know about these letters. They will get the bundle at 18 or 21 years of age. I, personally, think this is a fantastic idea that is doable.

Both of my sons walked me down the aisle at the wedding. I want them to know how much that meant to me and how considerate my daughter and son-in-law were to have arranged this event. It brought my focus to the present and living fully each day.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM

lost my dad in03 mom in 04 i still hear my self ass my mommy would say and talkto her everday told me alot right be for she passed trying to tell my dd ds and dgk all i can rember abot my child hood and there grandmo miss her everday millie
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM

My mom is 90 and we laugh and remember together when I visit her at the assisted living where she is living. She is really in good health but is going blind. She remembers most everything, sometimes differently than I do. Ha!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Since this topic started, I've gone through the box that has held my Mom's writings since she died in the early 90s. She was always writing, and I'd forgotten she had written and copy writed at least one of her songs, "Searching for a Gypsy". I can't find the record yet, but remember her singing it and others she wrote, even though she only had a 5th grade education. Photographic memory, could even remember who sat in every chair in each of her 5 years of school. We had her write it all down and when we took her to visit Milton, we asked her old school mates, who were shocked that she remembered correctly..after a lot of thought of their own. Never forgot what each of her kids did, either!!!

Mom rarely spoke of her childhood, just found her diary, it was hidden in a very old dress from the 1930s of hers I was keeping for my daughters. She called it "A story of a very lonely farm girl" which right there says it all.

Grandma, on the other hand, was always cheerfully working and I worked by her side and loved it. I still miss her a lot, my dear little Grandma who lived in her aprons and always seemed to have a hoe in her hands when she was outdoors.

Thanks for starting this, it has brought back many memories.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Reading about what we wished we had asked Mom has brought tears to my eyes just remembering things I wished I had asked both of my parents and grandparents. But what I wish even more is that I had done more for my mom. As I am now almost 70 and have heart problems, fibromyalgia, 2 back injuries where I didn't walk for several months, I find many tasks that I took for granted now that I have trouble doing and I think of my mom and how I could have cleaned her cupboards for her more often, crawled under things for her, washed her windows for her, simple things that we take for granted but find hard as we get older. I wish I had done more.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 AM

"Does any one else have any questions that they wish they had asked their Mother before it was too late."

I think many of us feel that way. So I've been making a book of family favorite recipes and also trying to find out family history and recording it. I'm sure my grandkids don't know or even have thought it was important to know where my DH's and my parents and grandparents were born and lived, what they did for a living, how many children they had, etc. Some day they will.
One of my DIL's is researching her family history and as found that another DIL's family and hers may be related even though one DIL is from Maine and the other from New Jersey. May in Jersey