Wish I had asked Mum

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM

I would say our parents never leave us the just love us from above every day.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
Does any one else have any questions that they wish they had asked their Mother before it was too late. Both my parents have long since passed and I still think about things that Mum used to say. A couple that really stand out are: Why did you tell me I always had to wash my hair immediately after a haircut because "hair bleeds". And why is the name on my birth certificate ""Patricia" when I have never been called anything but "Suzie" my whole life? No idea why I never asked these questions when I still had the chance
My Mom passed away 2 yrs ago and I cannot count the times I've picked up the phone to call and ask a question. Miss her terribly but when I feel this way, I go into my bedroom and talk to her. I don't get answers but sometimes the answers just come to me (maybe she really is answering)!!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 PM

I still have my mom but my dad passed alittle over ten years ago. I wish we would have talked more. Me and Mom have a great relationship. She is tickled that after all this time I was finally bitten by the sewing bug.

Did you guys know there are book called Tell me your story journals? You can get them from LTD commodities online. It is a guided journal where they fill in the blanks. While taking care of my Grandmother when she was dying from breast cancer I found a one she had started. There were some funny stories. Asked things like what their favorite color is favorite song, movie etc. And stories about their childhood. Very cool book to have!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Enjoy your Mom, Janie. Thanks for the info on the journals. I've been meaning to start one but you know how that goes. I think it's time because I am older now.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Mom has been gone since 1982, and Dad since 1989. Thank you for this< I am Gram to 10 and am starting a journal so they and their parents will have a few less questions to say they should have asked.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I just wish I could remember all the things she and Daddy and Granddaddy and Aunt Dotty and Aunt Nettie DID tell me!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Between 1943 (I was 3) and 1949, I loat my brother (WWII pilot), my sister (25rs old), my father (50 yrs old) and my mother (49 yrs old). I went to live with my oldest living sister (25 yrs) and her husband after my mom died, my dad had died 3 years earlier. THey were very good to me. They divorced a couple years after I was married, and she died in 1968 (44 yrs old). I have one sister left she is 84 and in a nursing home. I learned a lot about my family thru a cousin who had researched the family tree, he also is full of stories, he is close to 90 now. But 5 years ago, he told me a story that I wish I hadn't heard, it turned my world upside down. Family secrets are not good. I wish I had been told earlier so I could have asked questions. Everyone involved is gone, so I will never know the whole story.

I miss my sister the most, I wish I could talk to her and tell her how much she meant to me. She left to early. She does come to see me sometimes because I can smell cigarette smoke. Mone of us smoke.

My children and grandchildren always end a visit or phone call with I love you, because you never know if you will see them again
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 PM

My mom never talked about her childhood. I only know that she was the baby of 6. Her oldest sister was almost old enough to be her mother. She talked about her siblings some but never about her parents or childhood. I wish I had questioned her more strongly. I know almost nothing about her side of the family. The last nephew passed away about a year ago. I used to ask him about our grandparents but he didn't have many grandparent stories.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 AM

you are all very blessed to know your moms. by the time i met mine she had a stoke and couldn't talk so no answers then before i could see her again she died. i got to see my sister a couple of times and enjoyed her talking on the phone then she had a brain anorism and pasted away last november. i now have a aunt i should write back to but even though it sounds crazy i am to afraid of doing so. seems like each time they die on me.i don't want that to happen to her.know it probally sounds nutty but can't shake the feeling yet. maybe it is best to leave it alone now and better not to of met them.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by pamdux
Mom has been gone since 1982, and Dad since 1989. Thank you for this< I am Gram to 10 and am starting a journal so they and their parents will have a few less questions to say they should have asked.
My Dad has been gone for 21 yrs. I am Grandma to 12 and great grandma to 1 and it's time for me to journal.