Wish I had asked Mum

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM

My mom passed away in 1982 and my dad in 2002. I am fortunate in that I heard family stories all of my life. I have all of the official info re: birth dates, marriage dates, etc. from the old family Bible, other sources, and through these stories. There are only three family members from their generation left - my mom's brother and my dad's 2 first cousins. Now I ask them about family info -- not so much about the dates and stuff, but what my g-grandparents (their grandparents)were like as people. Recently I found out that my g-grandfather on my dad's side had a massive heart attack and dropped dead in the hen house after supper one Sunday night!

I wish I had asked more questions of the older generations to get some sense of us all as "family" My grandmother on Mom's side didn't even know her grandmother's first name -- I could tell her now that it was Julia.

And while cleaning out my parents' home I found a note book with recipes in it, handwritten by my maternal great-grandmother and with more added by my grandmother. It is now a prized possession.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Oh yes recipes. Neither my mother or my grandmother had special recipes. Pretty boring cooks really. But my grandmother had this one thing that she use to make that I wish I had gotten the recipe for. Sounds really simple but I have never been able to duplicate it just right.
She made an apple cake(?) in a cookie sheet pan , the ones with the sides. it was just the cake with apple slices laid on it sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and baked. I have Never been able to get the cake right. It wasn't quite a coffee cake texture and not quite a cake texture but somewhere inbetween. I have tried everything from Bisquick recipes to boxed cakes and all the homemade yellow and white cakes from scratch and have never quite hit it. I could have eaten a whole one of those things. lol
Now my Dad did make liver and onions so I would eat them and he could make some great venison.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 PM

I would love to ask her anything, even 'let's go out for a coffee'. She's been gone 27 years, at the age of 56, I had been married only 8 months. Now I am older than she was, it seems funny. My only sister died 4 years ago at 58, so I am all alone. I would like to ask about family history and how things were when I was young, and how she felt as a young mother, and her side of the divorce from my father. He left when she was expectimg me- shocking in the fifties. Oh Mom, I miss you so much even, 27 years later I still cry sometimes, like now. Wish I had just one more day.
To those of you who still have their Mom-- please go and hug her, for me.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM

My Mom died in 1993, as for dear old Dad, nobody knows. He want walkabout in 1952 at the age of 50, and so did a woman he knew, neither seen since. Leslie George Byrd born in 1902=died??

My Grandma raised me till my late teens, and I discovered something shocking, once while playing under the porch I heard two of my aunts talking about my Mom having a baby boy who died at birth, and since Dad didn't have any money (In the middle of the depression) he buried the baby under a pine tree. The one time I dared ask Mom about it she wouldn't speak to me for weeks..and for years I thought I was oldest of 8.

As for cooking Grandma was a marvelous cook, Mom pretty good. I have Mom's old cookbook my son is hinting for, it's old and remarks that if you live in a town with a freezer plant, you can rent lockers to store your beef and chickens!!! No TV, no electricity, no indoor plumbing, yet we were mostly all healthy and spent lots of time together on the farm.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Rather than ask mom questions I wish I had told her things I should have.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM

My mom's been gone for 18 years now and I still miss her so much. Every day I have questions I wish I could ask her. I did not have any siblings, my dad is gone and most other relatives are gone too, so I have questions that will never be answered. I try to tell my kids stuff when it crosses my mind so maybe they won't have unanswered questions. Some days I just feel like an orphan! I am thankful for my four wonderful children and 9 grandkids. But it is nice to have someone to share old family history and childhood memories.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 PM

My mom passes away twenty years ago yesterday. I miss her so much. She was my best friend and we did a lot together. After she passed we found diaries that she had kept in our growing up years. Oldest brother is the keeper of them but everytime I visit he brings them out for us for all the memories.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM

I have a quilt from my mom, grandma, great grandma and one of my great greats (but which one). My mom told me, but I forgot. Too late now!!
Verna in So CA
Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 PM

A couple years ago my daughter asked me to write all my recipies out for her. Christmas that year I got recipe boxes with a slanted top to hold a recipe while you were cooking.
I got some card stock and copied some decoritive recipe cards online. I hand wrote the recipies of all my recipies for my daughter, son and 2 grandchildren. They thought that was the greatest present. I even put them in plastic sleeves.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM

I would say our parents never leave us the just love us from above every day.