Wish I had asked Mum

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edie
I never dreamed my father would die two days after I saw him. I said "See you later, Dad." I wish I had told him I loved him. He knew I did, but I wish I had told him. Edie
My Dad died the morning after I has last seen him. In the hospital, he told me he would be going home because he had to clean out the basement because Mom (who had MS) could not get down there to do it.
I believed him, went home (100 miles away) and got the call the next day......
Had I known I would have stayed.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 AM

My Mom is still alive, but her memory is fading fast.She used to be my best friend before her memory started fading. I call her every other Wed on the way to church. I really miss my Grandma, who died over 43 years ago. I also miss my sweet MIL an FIL. My MIL was a quilter and gave me a lot of her blocks. I have used several of them to make quilts for our children. Sweet and sad thread.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 AM

I lost my mom earlier this year, to Alzheimers. It's strange, I don't miss how she was at the end, because she hated what was happening to her and didn't want to go on like that, so it was a blessing when she went. But I find myself missing my mom of a few years earlier...yet that mom has been gone even longer.

I am reaching points in my life when I'd like to ask her how she felt when she was at these points, but when she could have answered I didn't ask because I wasn't there yet, and now I'm here and she's not.

She was a wonderful mom.

Laurie
Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

I miss my granny but her and I ould talk for hours upon hour there was not a thing I wasn't told. However the person that I wish I had asked a question to is my uncle. He passed away some 20 years ago and at that time I had little interest in the subject. I love history but the CW was my thing at the time now I want to know more about WW2. My uncle had what looked like a dimple in his cheek but it wasn't. My uncle was shot Dec 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor, I would like to know more about that day.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM

I still miss my mother and she's been gone since 1984. She was my best friend and we did everything together. I am lucky enough to have recipes that were her;s and my grandmother's. Also still have some fabric that was her's. I still miss doing things with her. My dad passed in 1993 so it's just me. I had no siblings. I miss them both.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 AM

My mom suffered from 3 kinds of dementia the last few years. When we had the testing done, it turned out that she didn't know who I was! Although she knew my four brothers. :( Good for them, sad for me.

She thought I was just a nice lady who came in to take care of her....at least she thought I was a NICE lady!

Like the posters above, there are some things in her history which I wish I knew more about....but maybe it's better if I don't know.

I find myself shopping and thinking, "Oh, I gotta pick that up for Mom!" Or something will happen and I think to myself, "I gotta call Mom about this and see what she thinks."

We had a health scare recently with my adult daughter, and I so wanted to call my mom, and have her tell me not to worry, chances are it will be fine. Which it was.

Like the others, I've lost both parents and all my aunts and uncles. So now I guess I'm the grown-up....I'm not sure I like this! I liked having my mom to run things by.

I miss her terribly, every day. I thought I took good care of her, but looking back there was so much more I could have done if I would have understood. But I guess you can't understand until you get there yourself. Sigh.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 AM

When I was a teenager, my mom told me she wasn't sure if my legal name was Janet. Back in the day, the mother's didn't go to the church for the christening. In the hospital, I was named Sheila, but when my father and godparents went to the christening, my dad changed it to Janet, after my mother. When we pulled my birth certificate at city hall, I was indeed Janet.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM

I wish I had listened more! My parents were both into family history and we have a lot written down. I have a blanket that a great-great (maybe more) grandmother made, spun, dyed (with berries), wove and I don't know which one did it. It took me several years to stop picking up the phone to call. I too hate being the oldest now. When my brother died last year, I realized now there was no one to talk over "old times" with. I did write down some things for my nephews about our younger years. I also have a fiddle that a great grandfather played. Didn't know which one, then while going through my Mother's old pictures, found one she had written on "The Fiddler", so now I know.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 AM

Reading some more of these posts (now tears are running down the cheeks) I think I can share something. My sister died 30+ years ago of breast cancer, she was only 40. Since that day whenever our family talks to each other, "I love you" is always the end. It doesn't take long to say.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM

My regrets we not spending the time to learn the "secret" recipes. My husband's grandmother made some of the best pies & cakes totally by "add a handful of..." and "mix until it looks like..." I have written recipes but there are the same way - no measurements. Try as I might I just cannot duplicate - and the results show it - just ask my husband.