Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
was a huge chance they wouldn't appreciate it? To make a long story short we have a niece who has grown up in a house where gifts are just not appreciated or kept. She is having a very hard time now (has issues and is a group home and basically been cut off from her immediate family) and has been calling me to talk. I think she is searching for some connection and sense of family. Dh and his brother though they grew up in the same home are VERY different....I have the idea floating around in my head to make her a lap quilt. BUT it takes me so long to make one and you all know how much goes into one, and I don't want to do it if she is going to follow what she has grown up with and just toss it. And not to be ugly about this but it would have to be a bigger than normal lapquilt I think as she is a really big girl at 6'3" and a size 13 in mens shoes........so would you make one?
No. My son & I once hooked a rug for my niece's playhouse...took us a over a year to do. It didn't even make it home to their house.."They lost it on the freeway". So Amy's quilt is on my couch and my dog uses it.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM

A quilt from you might be just what this girl needs right now. I say go for it.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

A "simpler/easier" quilt can be attractive and useful - and if liked and loved and cherished by the recipient- wonderful --- if not liked and loved - perhaps the hours and money spent on it will not be particularly regretted by the maker/giver.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

You know you did a great thing. She may really cherish it now. And the thought that someone was nice to her. I know I would really appreciate anything that was made for me. We 6 kids hardly had anything growing up. I remember getting a Chatty Cathy doll but it was a cousin broke her voice before a brother got to. Would give anything to have one now. Anyways I think you should do what is in your heart.You will be blessed for it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Share with her your interest in quilting. Tell her you would like to make a special quilt for her in colors that would make her enjoy using it. Perhaps she would like selecting some of the fabric. If she gives you input, then she would probably enjoy a quilt and maybe even start quilting herself. If she doesn't, then you have received an answer!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I would go for it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM

After having read all of the previous replies, I guess I'm torn.

I would like to think she would greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness. But I too have seen people that manipulate others until they respond, then get hurt from the reactions.

I do like the thought of maybe a pillow...pieced on one side and fleece on the other. I'd put a label on it, telling her of the love you have for her. I'd also put a note on it, that when she reaches out to you, you have a matching quilt in her future if she would like to have one...or something to that effect.

Then go ahead and make the quilt top...hold until you hear from her or save it awhile and then donate it to a shelter for women.

I'm rambling, but this is a very hard and personal decision. Go with whats in your heart...you'll never regret that part of your decision.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Give her the benefit of the doubt and hopefully this act of kindness will help her.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM

I would make one. She is reaching out to you. It doesn't have to be a great quilt. Large squares would do..maybe a lattice. Something quick and easy...scrappy. Even if it isn't appreciated you will know you gave from your heart.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner
A gift from your heart is still a gift, once we give the gift we no longer get to decide what is done with the gift. Give her one if it will satisfy your needs, and be happy that you have done so. Love her as you can, if she doesn't come round with the same care for the gift, at least you know you have done a great thing on your part. The best thing about a gift, is the giving.

(((HUGS))))
I agree with pstoner. If she's near enough, maybe have her come for short visits to help you piece it and put it together. If not, maybe make a photo album of the process with letters to her at each step with your hopes and dreams for her future.

You might try a 10 minute block like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM

Blessings to you whatever you decide!