Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM

I definitely would...and once given from the heart with the message that you are hoping that she will know that she can always turn to you everytime she lets the quilt warm her, it will be hers to keep or do with as she wishes.

She might have come from a home with a lack of lessons in keeping and appreciation, but she is apparently trying a new path to travel and has reached out to you in the journey, and deserves a chance at change.

If I gave a quilt (or anything I made) only with the assurance that it would be kept and cherished forever, it would mean that I was only thinking about how I felt in the gifting.
Make a simple one and fill it with love.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM

I work every day with teens. A 9p or similar pieced blocks may be too "old school" unless she's into that. Ask her favorite colors and maybe ask her what her "fantasy bedroom" would look like. If she asks why either be honest and tell her you want to make her a personal useful gift, or that you want to know her better and learning her tastes is one way to accomplish that. If it were me I'd find a focus fabric that reflects her tastes do a series of borders reflecting colors in the main fabric and back it with flannel to cozy it up. Definitely put a made with love label on- harder to be careless with it, and send it with prayers that the love and concern it's made with will soak in. Just me, good thoughts your way.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Maybe you could make her one from one of the quilt printed fabrics. Just do simple quilting on it and give it from the heart. She may appreciate it or not, but it sounds like she is reaching out to you. I say go with your gut...... :thumbup:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM

I think this is really a heart wrenching decision. It sounds like you would like to do something nice for her and if that is so, I would say do it. However, I think it would be good to make it nice but simple so that it isn't a time-wise or financial burden to you. Maybe this will be a turning point in her life where she gets something so personal and heart warming that she will realize what "gifts" really mean. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I have a cousin in a nursing home, and sometimes things "go missing," so I didn't want to put a lot of time into an intricate quilt pattern. What I did was to make a tied fleece throw, washable and inexpensive, but still a gift from the heart. I embroidered his name on it, too. You can get it as a kit at the box stores.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

i grew up with 4 brothers and we are not close at all. I always wanted to be close and finally just gave up. I am very different then my brothers. I would just ask her if she would treasure something like this or not. Tell her about all the work that goes into a quilt. See what she says.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM

maybe a quilt made with love by you will change her ..... you could put a note and tell her how much love was stitched in every stitch .... the warmth and love in the quilt might make her see she is loved .........you have to love yourself to love other things and take care of them........ sure make the quilt give the quilt and see what happens......
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Please make her the quilt. I have a daughter that has had drug issues and was at a low when my husband and I put her in a women's center in Florida. I made her a quilt from a panel that had shoes on it. She loves shoes!!! That meant alot to her because I cared enough to make SOMEThing for her. Well she thought she had lost it when she was there, and was very hurt that had happened. To make a long story short....my grandsons found it and gave it to her. SHe was so happy because she had it back and it is on her bed now. Something as simple a 9p would be excellent for her, because you cared enough to THINK of her. Not many people care about folks in those situations. They need to feel someone cares and it sounds as if you do care. By the way my daughter is on the road to recovery. Can't say the quilt did it, but our caring about her sure helped
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM

I would not make one for her, but I would teach her to make one.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM

If you think she wouldn't appreciate a quilt, it doesn't make sense to give her one. Not everyone thinks like we do, after all. Take her to lunch once a month, if she needs company/family. She might like that more than a quilt. Maybe when she's older...