Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner
A gift from your heart is still a gift, once we give the gift we no longer get to decide what is done with the gift. Give her one if it will satisfy your needs, and be happy that you have done so. Love her as you can, if she doesn't come round with the same care for the gift, at least you know you have done a great thing on your part. The best thing about a gift, is the giving.

(((HUGS))))
I TOTALLY AGREE!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM

It doesn't have to be a lap quilt- it could be a mug rug. I made those for people at Christmas. They are just little miniature quilts- people love them. You can do one in a couple of hours.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

To me a quilt = comfort and love.
Whether or not this troubled girl knows anything about quilts doesn't matter. She will feel your love.
That's all that matters. It could be a life changing event for her.
My heart goes out to her. Life is hard enough when we have all the things we need!
A lot of posts have targeted ungrateful relatives etc. We're talking about a troubled young woman. Big difference.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

If it were me I would.She may be looking for someone to try to understand her.If she was brought up that way perhaps a gift of Love would be just what the Dr ordered!Even if she didn'[t appreciate it you have still done a good deed.And I believe it will be rewarded somehow!

And I say follow your heart! :thumbup:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Wow ,this has been a touchy thread, While I would be leary of being manipulated by this gal,I would still show genuine gestures of love, you never know what will touch someones heart deep inside. I have been a nurse for 25 years,and have "seen it all" while there are times that I get sick to death of the abusers and manipulators I try to tell myself that there is an underlying issure, and as my dad always said,"but for the grace of God there go I" I try to live by this and I am NOT even a Christian.I do try to have human compassion and put myself in the other persons shoes. I know what it is like to be in the depths of despair and want to curl up and die, One never knows what the glimmer of hope may be that pulls you out of this pit . And after all, what is the true meaning of a gift? A gift is to be given freely with no obligations attached. Be warey of manipulation but love her freely and wrap her in a simple quilt that you made from the heart,if that is what your heart tells you to do. I have plenty of old scraps I will be happy to send you if cash is an issue , just Pm me.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 PM

I did exactly that, made a quilt (actually two for twin babies) and gave them knowing that the quilts would probably be left on a park bench someplace. but, I thought it was worth the effort to express love in a way that hadn't been shown this woman. I never heard one word, no thanks, no mention of the quilts ever. That's okay. I loved her in a real and tangible way, what happened to the quilts doesn't matter. I did make a simple pattern though and used washable fabric.. I didn't make an heirloom because I knew where they would probably end up. I don't think that diminished the gift, it was just a wise choice. Go ahead, loving someone is always worth the effort!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM

A gift from your heart is still a gift, once we give the gift we no longer get to decide what is done with the gift. Give her one if it will satisfy your needs, and be happy that you have done so. Love her as you can, if she doesn't come round with the same care for the gift, at least you know you have done a great thing on your part. The best thing about a gift, is the giving.

(((HUGS))))
I agree. She may be reaching out and this may be the only love she really sees. She may not know how to react correctly to that love shown because she was never taught, but that does not mean you have to stop showing her the way that love is meant to be shown-by quilting her a quilt, and other ways. :-)
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by diane647
It really doesn't mater if I would make one or not. The real question is DO YOU WANT TO DO IT? Sometimes we already know the answer to our question. If it would make her feel loved and included it would be wonderful. However you must remember a gift is a gift, the receipent can do with it what they will.
And, the other side of this debate is 'How will you feel if you don't extend the olive branch she is asking for?'
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Is there something else that would show her your loving concern without costing you disappointment if she's not able to show proper appreciation? It seems that between the lines I'm reading a lot of reluctance to invest so much of your time in this gift. Maybe a sweet quilted pillow would be enough to get the point across without knocking yourself out. If she happens to adore it, then a quilt could follow at a later time. Another advantage is that you'd have the gift ready sooner, and it seems to me she's hurting right now, so the sooner the better.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM

(((HUGS))))
I agree.