Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternatives to Bluprint

I enjoyed the older Craftsy classes. It seems that when the change was made to Bluprint, the variety of classes for quilting stopped. Disappointing.

Well I bit the bullet and signed up for the "Quilters' Exclusive" Bundle so I could see the list of free kits (and could cancel if I didn't find any that I would like). As expected, the kits were limited, but one of them happened to be one I had considered buying even if I didn't subscribe! So I went ahead and ordered.

Again, this is the deal I signed up for:
    So, for $79.99 I have a "free" quilt kit that I wanted anyway that would have cost $93 at their current 50% off sale price, plus I have a year of Bluprint! and the 12 "keep forever courses". I think it's a steal. If I find some bargains on merchandise with their member discount, it's another bonus.

I had some minor video and PDF download glitches that were resolved by changing from Microsoft Edge browser to Firefox. I spent the morning cleaning and listening to videos. One was on pressure cooking and now I have a good recipe for Instant Pot pulled pork that I'll probably make this weekend! I also watched one on embroidery and may take that up to find a home for all the old cross-stitch floss I have.

I think the old Craftsy classes are very high end and I'm enjoying them immensely. The new series "Fresh Quilting" offered some really inspirational ideas too. I am really glad I subscribed. I have a feeling I'll download course materials and see everything I want to see within one year, but who knows? Maybe they'll expand enough that I'll find a need to stay subscribed.

Knowing how the instructors are paid, I'll make sure and leave the courses on even if I'm not paying a bunch of attention, just so the instructors can get their money.

I'm saving my 12 "keep forever" classes for some that appear to be behind pay walls even for members. The one specifically that I've found is the Joen Wolfrom color course. I may get that one soon.

Anyway, so I think I figured out what to do ;-). Thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by TeresaA; 10-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Teresa, you got a good deal!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!

Thanks, Susie.

Another update.

I received my "free" quilt kit today, a Boundless black and beige quilt, 80x96, so really huge, more than the promised 14 yards of fabric, considering that the cuts are generous. The fabric isn't quite as good as I'm used to, maybe better than Joann's, but not as good as my favorite Kaufmans. But the colors are nice. I don't think Craftsy/Bluprint recommends washing before making, but fabric gives me a headache if I don't wash it, so I will anyway. We'll see what the quality, color fastness and shrinkage are after washing. I bought some 5" "fractals" swatches during their "boundless" sale, but I doubt I'll order whole fabric unless I get a huge discount. I'll use the swatches for an art quilt.

I hadn't ever had a Craftsy or Bluprint subscription before, so I think the courses are wonderful. Some are a little too basic, but if I leave the videos running while I'm doing something else, I'll often pause on what I'm doing for interesting tips even with the basic courses. It's possible that some of the coursework could be found via You Tube or whatever, but I get value in browsing the options from a list and watching things I'd never have thought of studying.

I have a feeling I'll cancel after a year, but I definitely see the value in $80 worth of courses, including 12 "keep forever courses" along with a large free quilt.

Teresa, to be honest, I don't like their fabrics as much either. But like you said they're better than Joanns. Boundless is pretty good but I don't like their Lily and Loom at all. I really like their thread and my machines do too. They do say not to wash the fabric first but if it bothers you then you must take care of yourself!
    Another thing- their sales are terrific and you get free shipping. I went wild this year stocking up. I got a Supreme Slider cheap, many other quality items. I also knit and got 2 sweater kits way cheaper than if I bought the yarn and pattern.
    So at least for this year I've been happy. Good luck! I think you got a great deal.

I washed the Boundless fabric from the kit and it unraveled like crazy. On some pieces I literally have about a quarter inch of fringe on the cut edges. Hey, it's inexpensive for a reason. I'll just have to quilt it closely to secure the seams and prevent unraveling when the quilt is washed. I always quilt things to death anyway, ha-ha. Craftsy suggested not washing fabric when they carried designer lines, so their suggestion is not brand-specific.

Bluprint has 50% off Boundless right now, which makes it really inexpensive, but I think I'll pass. I need to wait for some sales on other items. I'm not sure what I'll need that they carry. I have a lifetime supply of batting, already, LOL and I doubt I'll buy their fabric. So we'll have to see.

But the classes alone were worth the money, IMHO. And hey, a free quilt. It's hard to beat that even if the fabric isn't perfect.

BTW, the freebie kit choices were limited. It was either some Lily and Loom kits in brighter colors (and I believed people who said the fabric wasn't great) and some Boundless kits in neutral tones. So I went with the neutral option and this is what I got. https://shop.mybluprint.com/quilting...ilt-kit/664391. I love the quilt and I'm at a point in my life where I like soothing shades like tans and greys and it's still a pretty exciting quilt anyway. I'm trying to decide if I want to add color, maybe red, to at least some of the blocks.
    Last edited by TeresaA; 10-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    I like that kit, TeresaA. I have gotten a lot of bargain kits from Bluprint. Personally, I like the fabric, has a nice sheen to it, and the quilts wash up nicely without a lot of shrinkage or color loss. The free shipping makes it all worthwhile. I have watched some of the classes, but so far I haven't found anything that is new to me. I have found a few hints that I have implemented. I will continue to belong to Bluprint, when you can get a layer cake or jelly roll for $16 it is hard to pass up. And I find their Boundless solids comparable to Kona, at a cheaper price.

Teresa, that's a beautiful kit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Teresa, that's a beautiful kit!!!!
    I know, right? I kind of liked it. And it's huge! although I think I'm going to leave off the left-most column so the "diamondy" blocks are in all corners. Looks better that way....besides I never make quilts that big, ha-ha. I'm more likely to finish if it's smaller.

grann of 6: Thanks for the tip! I need to try some of the solids when they go back on sale. For now, that kit will keep me busy for a bit, ha-ha.

I have interest in about everything they offer, including the photography. I need to get back into all of it, so the subscription will help.

I bought some things off Craftsy from time to time and then last year I joined Bluprint. I did get a lot of free shipping in the last quarter of 2018 for myself and I also shopped for an event giveaways. No ordering this year and I am not sure if I will renew. I recently contacted them after checking my information on their site and saw that they have my credit card on file. You can't delete it if you have a subscription. I may cancel and see if they come back with a better offer than I paid last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2