Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
Good for you! That is awesome. I got the 5D Pro and absolutely love it. I've been going through the books and doing the stuff and it's still a bit overwhelming at times. If where you bought it does classes, they are a definite must! There is also a DVD that they probably tried to sell to you that is really a great investment. It is the "Simply Teach Me" set - fantastic! The other thing I found is an online tutorial at MrPatience.com Of course it is a subscription site, but he also has a number of free tutorials which are so easy to follow. Great stuff! Congrats on your new adventure. Jane
I'm not sure if anyone told you but if you go under programs and 5D embroidery and go to I think its modules you can get lots more info on the software. It's like the little books they give you but much more. It also has lots of things about fixes if you need it. I love the thread manager. If you take the time to enter all the thread you have on hand it not only will give you an inventory list that you can print out when you go to the store but when you have a design loaded in the software you can chose color tone and tell it to chose only the colors in YOUR thread list and then it'll match the color stops to the closest of what you already own; no guessing on your part. Its a great software.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Thank you for the site...I am going there now
Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Me too. I have 5D pro and waiting to see how much the upgrade for 6D will be in the fall. If you go to mrpatience.com he has videos, and classes on 4D and 5D that may help you. Some of his stuff is free and others he charges for but there is enough free stuff to make it worth checking out.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I am about to embark on a quest for my first embroidery machine. I would like a combo machine because it is time for me to ditch the mechanical sewing machine that I use daily. So, I am going yo test drive Baby Lock Elissimo Gold. Any coments, pluses and minuses would be very much appreciated. I do not like machines that are picky with types of thread I use. I prefer Glide for quilting, which is embroidery thread, so the machine wound have to be able to use it. Thanks a lot!
One thing that made me go with 2 separate machines is I can have my embroidery machine running while I sew on the other. That being said, Baby Lock is an awesome machine (I have Crescendo ($3500 and LOVE it). I bought the brother PE-780D (~$1000) for embroidery - got the best of both worlds and spent less money. Just saying.....
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 AM

bigredharley,
I own the Babylock Spirit and I have the Melody and like you I like the idea of having the embroidery machine going as I'm sewing and I have no complaints with this brand. Just love it! **BTW you got a great deal on the Crescendo! Enjoy it!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Just starting the journey of embroidery. Got a first lesson at the dealer yesterday. Going to work/play today.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM

I have a brother pe-770. I just got it for Christmas last year from my bf. I honestly haven't done too much with it, just really names for Christmas stockings, and a few designs. Now that I have a whole area that I can set up for embroidery I want to start to fiddle with it more.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
One thing that made me go with 2 separate machines is I can have my embroidery machine running while I sew on the other. That being said, Baby Lock is an awesome machine (I have Crescendo ($3500 and LOVE it). I bought the brother PE-780D (~$1000) for embroidery - got the best of both worlds and spent less money. Just saying.....
I have the Spirit and have been looking at the Crescendo. Please tell me what you really like about it and you got a much better deal than I have found. Did you get the Gold Standard included for the price?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 PM

I just came home with a Brother 950 today. I wanted to get a nice travel machine for regular quilting, but decided that since I was getting yet another sewing machine, that maybe I should get the combo unit. I really have no idea what I'll do with it, other than hoping to create quilt labels. Thinking I might get some nice linen and do some napkins or something like that. It seem like I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread as it is just about to reach 200 pages!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Not familiar with that machine but jope it has a frame larger than 4x4. If not, you will be wanting to upgrade soon. 4x4 is so limited.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 AM

The 950 is just a 4x4, but I really bought the machine because it's light and I can easily take it with me. Got the Brother because my home machine is a Babylock, so can switch out bobbins and some feet. This model seems identical to the Babylock Sofia, but I was able to buy it from a dealer at a better price. If I "take" to embroidery, I'll get a bigger one. I see some comments above about the Crescendo - that is what I have. I absolutely love it so far. It's quiet, tracks great. I am really crazy about the laser light thing. All those little squares that go in the corner and sewn from tip to tip - no marking, just line it up on the light and go. I got the machine mostly because of the big harp space which is awesome, but even more than that, FMQ on it is fantastic - stitches perfect, no wierd tension issues. I paid $3,600 before taxes which include the gold warranty. The price supposedly included a trade in, but that was just market-speak. My dealer really does not want my old machines. I shopped around for it, and was quoted a price as high as $4,500. I did not get the dual foot pedal, but now, of course, I want it. My birthday is next month