Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
How does everyone like the floriani products, I just took the plunge asnd bought a bunch of their stabilizers as I wasn't as happy with my stabilizers, might gift them to my aunt, she just got her machine
I just started using Floriani thread and love it! I haven't tried the stabilizers since they always seem to be quite expensive, however I just found out a local quilt shop honors the JoAnn coupons so the next 50% off ones I get I may try their stabilizers.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM

I found this on the Craftsy blog.
[h=3]Stabilizer for in-the-hoop embroidery:[/h] You’ll want to be sure to use stabilizer for your embroidery projects. Most projects call for tearaway stabilizer. And this is where I change things up a bit. I like tearaway stabilizer, but sometimes a washaway stabilizer may work better. And other times I prefer to use unbleached muslin that has been pressed and starched as my stabilizer.
My preference for a project that should be soft like a zipper bag or a project that is quilted, is to use a very soft tearaway stabilizer, unbleached muslin, or a paperlike washaway stabilizer. The muslin should be a high quality and have a thread count of 200, rather than a muslin with a looser weave. The stabilizer will end up staying inside the project, so it is important to use something that works with the purpose of the project. Tearaway stabilizers that are left within a project tend to soften with washing and use. If you hold tearaway stabilizer under running water, you will see that it falls apart. This is good for a project that you’d like to be soft.
My preference for a project that stands alone with satin stitches on the outer edge such as Christmas ornaments, coasters, or door hangers, is a washaway stabilizer. Often these projects call for a tearaway, but my experience is that there is always a little bit of the tearaway that can be seen around the edge of the object, even after the project has been wet and dried again. And if you want a very stiff project, after the object is finished, wet it without rinsing all of the washaway stabilizer out and you will see that the stabilizer actually melts and “starches” the ornaments.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Thanks for the informative insight.

I am going to put this into my "book of embroidery knowledge".

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I found this on the Craftsy blog.
Stabilizer for in-the-hoop embroidery:

You’ll want to be sure to use stabilizer for your embroidery projects. Most projects call for tearaway stabilizer. And this is where I change things up a bit. I like tearaway stabilizer, but sometimes a washaway stabilizer may work better. And other times I prefer to use unbleached muslin that has been pressed and starched as my stabilizer.
My preference for a project that should be soft like a zipper bag or a project that is quilted, is to use a very soft tearaway stabilizer, unbleached muslin, or a paperlike washaway stabilizer. The muslin should be a high quality and have a thread count of 200, rather than a muslin with a looser weave. The stabilizer will end up staying inside the project, so it is important to use something that works with the purpose of the project. Tearaway stabilizers that are left within a project tend to soften with washing and use. If you hold tearaway stabilizer under running water, you will see that it falls apart. This is good for a project that you’d like to be soft.
My preference for a project that stands alone with satin stitches on the outer edge such as Christmas ornaments, coasters, or door hangers, is a washaway stabilizer. Often these projects call for a tearaway, but my experience is that there is always a little bit of the tearaway that can be seen around the edge of the object, even after the project has been wet and dried again. And if you want a very stiff project, after the object is finished, wet it without rinsing all of the washaway stabilizer out and you will see that the stabilizer actually melts and “starches” the ornaments.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:04 PM

I made this for my fiancée for Valentine's Day. It's a saying he always says and I found it at emblibrary.com which suffice to say its my FAVORITE site for design. I used Floriani Thread and not one breakage when stitching out this design. I used cutaway stabilizer and will be finishing it for a pillow for him. Just wanted to share.
Attached Thumbnails feb-2014-006.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Quiltnut4ever that is very pretty!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 AM

I am so glad I found this post. I have a brother. It only does embroidery and it limited to the 5x7 hoop. Any suggestions as to what I can work on? I do not need to do baby quilts. I do not have grandchildren and will not have any. I use it mainly for quilt labels. I am very new at embroidery and need all the help I can get.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by chamby View Post
I am so glad I found this post. I have a brother. It only does embroidery and it limited to the 5x7 hoop. Any suggestions as to what I can work on? I do not need to do baby quilts. I do not have grandchildren and will not have any. I use it mainly for quilt labels. I am very new at embroidery and need all the help I can get.
I've gotten in to doing quilting in the hoop stuff. Hoopsisters has some really nice designs and they are generally digitized for all size blocks from 4" up to 9". Urban threads has lots of suggestions on their website for how to use various designs so not all for quilts or tablerunners. Artistic Thread Works also has a variety of tutorials and suggestions. Actually, I imagine most of the well known sites have suggestions, but these are the ones I use most often. Oh, and MollyMine. I love her stuff - always very accurate stitchouts.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by chamby View Post
Once you get started you will find you can embroider on anything depending on the chosen design. I have embroidered on tablecloths, placemats, mug rugs, napkins, shirts, aprons, pot holders, birthday/Christmas cards and even toilet paper. (if it can't move to get away from me, it's embroidered) Even though your hoop is not the largest with practice you can do multi-hooping. Ask at your dealer for any project you need help with, they are usually pretty good with that.
Attached Thumbnails embroideredtoilettissue.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM

gramquilter2, how on earth do you do embroidery on toilet paper?? Are there any good tutorials out there detailing how it is done? This is something I would really like to try!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Here is a tutorial I watched before I did some for Christmas and them I got help from a wonderful person on the board also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBs6CkV1AE

Originally Posted by DixieDoodle View Post
gramquilter2, how on earth do you do embroidery on toilet paper?? Are there any good tutorials out there detailing how it is done? This is something I would really like to try!!